Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the KIA user manual it said that I should use ACEA 5A/5B 5W-30.
Yet my mechanic suggested on using ACEA C3/C2 5W-30 as it should work better and is more high tech the 5A/5B.
(PENNASOL MID SAPS SPECIAL C2/C3 SAE 5W-30)

Which is the best oil to use with a 1L T-GDI?

·
Registered
531 Posts
A5/B5 is a petrol oil

C2/C3 is a low saps spec for diesel cars fitted with a DPF.

The C2/C3 oil may be fine in a petrol car providing the manufacturer specifies it but use the A5/B5 in a modern diesel and you will knacker it eventually.

I have a 5 litre can of Total MC3 5w/30 in the garage I bought when I had the Ceed (they specified it for DPF diesels) and on the spec its states its is fine for diesel and petrol engines of many makes

I suggest you use what the manufacturer says, they know a lot more about the cars they make than a bloke at the local garage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As my profile pic suggests, I own a KIA Stonic first edition with a 1L, T-GDI engine.

A5/B5 is a petrol oil A stands for Gasoline and B stands for Diesel- this oil is good for both engines.
C2/C3 is a low saps spec for diesel cars fitted with a DPF. C stands for modern oil and is good also for both engines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok.. Now I am even more confused.
What is the correct viscosity of the oil I should use then?
0W-30 or 5W-30?
And how to choose the right oil standard?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Both are suitable, many vehicles have conflicting info about viscosities especially from oil companies who always want to fit one of their products in the maintenance plan even if it doesn't always meet the spec specified in the vehicle's user manual. Is there an engine oil viscosity table in your owners manual? That is important to look at if you find one in there. For lots of stop start driving and short trips or cold starts the lower end of the table would give better protection, for towing and speed, the higher end is better, but may protect less during cold weather cold starts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well... KIA manual says that for the 1L T-GDI engine I should use 5W-30 and ACEA A5.
And that is the only oil KIA recommends.
But in the oil list provided by Dave, KIA recommend to use 0W-30 ACEA C2.
So, I am really confused now.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can't go wrong with the 5w-30 specified in your user manual. I noticed there were several recommendations in that table. That looked a bit suspect.
The small text of the chart says consult your owners manual.
Chart could be from another country with a different climate

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KIA recommends to use with the 1L T-GDI the same oil for all countries.
The only difference is the quality of the fuel but that's not an issue for me as I use top quality 95 gasoline.

I am still really confused.
The local KIA dealer used 0W-40 AN oil. which wasn't recommended by KIA at all.
I hoped here I could find some answers but I suspect that I will have to contact KIA Korea directly for a clear answer.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is there a viscosity table in your user manual?

• The viscosities of 5w-30 and 0w-40 are probably are close to overlapping each other in the important 0 - approx 80 deg range, so you're well protected.
In addition, if the dealer has put it in, your warranty is intact.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I see your little profile flag is Israeli, if the vehicle is there then I'd stick with the 0w-40 considering the yearly temperature extremes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had the same query which is why I contact Kia customer services. As the manual clearly states to us 5w30 A5 but the table online that I posted on here says to use 0w30 C2.

I asked if I can still use 5w30 and they said they had checked with the engineers and they confirmed that the only oil they can now recommend for the 1.0 t-gdi was 0w30 C2 and that I shouldn’t use anything else.

why would they post in user manual to use a different oil and then change it later on. I stated that a lot of people wouldn’t check kia website and would just use what manual states. To me, the fact that it’s in the manual, I can’t see it will hurt as that’s what they deemed the best oil to us originally.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
I had the same query which is why I contact Kia customer services. As the manual clearly states to us 5w30 A5 but the table online that I posted on here says to use 0w30 C2.

I asked if I can still use 5w30 and they said they had checked with the engineers and they confirmed that the only oil they can now recommend for the 1.0 t-gdi was 0w30 C2 and that I shouldn’t use anything else.

why would they post in user manual to use a different oil and then change it later on. I stated that a lot of people wouldn’t check kia website and would just use what manual states. To me, the fact that it’s in the manual, I can’t see it will hurt as that’s what they deemed the best oil to us originally.
Given the age of the 1.0T-GDI engine. It will be under warranty. As such should be dealer serviced to keep that in tact. So dealers will get the latest spec's to use in your area.
If you happen to need to top it up, then go by the handbook. Or source some from your dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
0W30 and 5W30 are basically the same, as only the cold temperature are some what lower on the 0W.
I wonder what ill effect will the wrong oil have on the engine.
In a worm climate I think it will have none.

·
Registered
276 Posts
0w-30 and 5w30 are different viscosities at all temperatures except around 100 deg c, where they are similar.
Your dealer probably used the 0w-40 you mentioned above because of good experience with it locally. That's what I would have chosen myself if it wasn't so expensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts