Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am always interested in what hobbies/passions people have and what they do in their spare time. For me, I had to take early retirement after hurting me back whilst working as a mainframe hardware service engineer. That was back in 1994, just before my 50th. I decided that I was going to make wooden toys. That developed from that to wood turning and that became more than a hobby. It's my passion now. I have a web site for my turning and all of the tools and kit I have was bought with the cash from what I make and have sold at craft fairs, etc. I just do what I want when I want and I love a new challenge. I saw the ball in a cube and couldn't resist it. It's so very tactile.

Another hobby is radio controlled model gliders and chucking them off of the hill sides around Stroud, Gloucestershire. That's been going for about 35 years now and I have lost count of the models I have. They go from very small, about 30" span up to one I'm building which will be just over 3 1/2 meters. A 1936 scale model of a German glider.

I almost always have my camera with me too. A Canon 80D DSLR with a Canon 18/200 telephoto lens. Not at all top end but well enough for me.

Now, what else does anyone od? Come on and show us please.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, I forget to add that if you would like to see my web site just click on the little down arrow head on the right hand end of the line my name is on and it shows there. ;)

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I have been owniong and shooting various firearms for more than 40 years. Originally cartridge pistols, now sadly banned apart from some really rather inferior handguns which escape the definition of "small firearm" I moved on to underlever rifle (a rifle firing pistol cartridges and usually relatively short - think of John Wayne and his Winchester rifles) and I make my own ammunition for them. Also muzzle loading pistols (cap and ball and black powder) withi is smelly and messy and smoky and fun. After I retired I took up clay pigeon shooting which is also a lot of fun. Alas all on hold during lockdown so we all are well out of practice.

Like your woodworking - I was never any good at that but I did like metalwork.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the idea of the smelly smoky stuff. I have only ever fired a muzzle loader musket once. That was on holiday in Malta. Only a blank but as you say s s and f! My shooting was mainly .22 BSA Martini International target rifle and .303 Lee Enfield. Both when I was in the R.A.F. and I really enjoyed that. I even managed to get on the team when I was at R.A.F. Lyneham and went to Bisley with them. Quite an experience.

The only shooting I do now is with my trusty catapult. So far a couple of pigeons and a nice pheasant when we lived in France :devilish:

Thank you for your comment on my wood. It's something I love doing, but please don't ask me to do any joinery o_Oo_O

·
Registered
605 Posts
I am always interested in what hobbies/passions people have and what they do in their spare time. For me, I had to take early retirement after hurting me back whilst working as a mainframe hardware service engineer. That was back in 1994, just before my 50th. I decided that I was going to make wooden toys. That developed from that to wood turning and that became more than a hobby. It's my passion now. I have a web site for my turning and all of the tools and kit I have was bought with the cash from what I make and have sold at craft fairs, etc. I just do what I want when I want and I love a new challenge. I saw the ball in a cube and couldn't resist it. It's so very tactile.

View attachment 9333

Another hobby is radio controlled model gliders and chucking them off of the hill sides around Stroud, Gloucestershire. That's been going for about 35 years now and I have lost count of the models I have. They go from very small, about 30" span up to one I'm building which will be just over 3 1/2 meters. A 1936 scale model of a German glider.

View attachment 9334

I almost always have my camera with me too. A Canon 80D DSLR with a Canon 18/200 telephoto lens. Not at all top end but well enough for me.

Now, what else does anyone od? Come on and show us please.
Remarkably similar actually. Before lockdown I was out most weekends flying rc planes. Only foamies, I don't have the time to build properly. Mostly powered beyond their design but some are dedicated s/soarers. Too many rc cars, not enough rc boats and a few quads thrown in. Like you, I try not to go out without my trusty nikon D, there's always a good shot available somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
Keeping you lot in line 😃

Walking our 2 dogs.

Doing as little as possible, while looking like I'm very busy. So Mrs does not give me a list of jobs to do..

Photos of anything that looks good. All taken on phone as it's always in my pocket.
Local park is a ever changing area.

Ice centipede

Reactions: ArthurCollins2

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi Jon
Looks a very impressive Minimoa (?) :cool:
Both myself and my young lady are lifelong aviation nuts :)
I have been a glider pilot on and off since 1969
I have a half share in a 1978 DG200 which I fly whenever weather and covid restrictions allow.
DG200 seen below with our wee toy - 2005 Vitara,my OH just happened to look at our webcam whilst I parked up (to use the facilities) on the way to the launch point .

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just noticed that you are ex RAF - same here ;)
I was never overly keen on shooting but did fire .303's as an air cadet and SLR's in the mob for annual firing card.
+ of course the dreaded rifle drill LOL
In the USA on holiday a couple of years ago I did manage a demonstration of 303 rifle drill quite well even though it had been 50 odd years since doing any :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Arthur, you have a Weasel then I'll bet! I have. You got your new CAA registration yet? Apparently it's 19 characters long :oops: Just enough to register 121,645,100 billion model flyers according to one of our SCSA club members. Obviously too much time on his hands? I'm still waiting for mine then I'll have to change it on my models, but hopefully it won't change again?

My little Sopwith Camel. Only about 30 odd inches and great fun to fly on Minchinhampton Common on calm daze. Just built from foam sheets. The kit was a prinely sum of £40 with about anothe £50 of servos, motor, battery and ESC

Nice shot of the park iooi. Is that a lake or a flood?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Correct Max. Aircraft eleky and I had a time when I was out in Singapore on PR7 Canberras, 81 Sqdn, at Tengah. It was hell, but someone had to do it :rolleyes::rolleyes: What mark is that on your Avatar? And from your forum name, airframes?

The photo in my OP is a DFS Habicht. My avatar is my Minimoa and that is a lovely model to fly. Just rudder elevator and spoilers. It looks lovely in flight and is always turning heads. 10' span, balsa planked fuselage and about 30 years old.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi John
My Avatar is B2/B6 WK163 (B6 wings/engines and heavily modified fuselage from her Scorpion Rocket trials days) - she is cropped out of a pic I took at pic at Old Warden in 1999,full pic below.

She displayed at Dunsfold Families Day also in 1999,as an ex canberra man - I waved her in and out - it was so nice to do a Canberra starter crew after a gap of 23 years :cool:,I was on 231 OCU 1972-76

·
Registered
418 Posts
Lovely pics of the glider in flight John - I have never flown anything like that - although I have flown Slingsby T31/T21/Prefect/Swallow and Skylark 3b.
Also Blanik/Bergfalke/K7/K13/K8.
My only rarity was probably an original Fokker Goevier - with either a longer or shorter fuselage than the later Goevier (cannot remember which way round that worked LOL).

·
Registered
605 Posts
So Arthur, you have a Weasel then I'll bet! I have. You got your new CAA registration yet? Apparently it's 19 characters long :oops: Just enough to register 121,645,100 billion model flyers according to one of our SCSA club members. Obviously too much time on his hands? I'm still waiting for mine then I'll have to change it on my models, but hopefully it won't change again?

My little Sopwith Camel. Only about 30 odd inches and great fun to fly on Minchinhampton Common on calm daze. Just built from foam sheets. The kit was a prinely sum of £40 with about anothe £50 of servos, motor, battery and ESC

View attachment 9354

Nice shot of the park iooi. Is that a lake or a flood?
That would be a bad bet! 😁 Nope, I started out learning on an EDF wing, was told to be more realistic in expectation so moved onto zagi's, for the combat... I know it won't sit well with you but mine are hobbyking specials, up to about 2.6m. I have a 2.5m ASW-28 currently still box fresh and ready to maiden.
The CAA thing..... hmm. I know I can't avoid it forever but no, I haven't yet applied for mine. I'm not admitting to flying without but........ 🤐 I've always had bmfa for the insurance but I don't club fly, my style would be more along the lines of trespassing. I like to be alone when flying. It helps settle the nerves when emersed in fpv goggles. If I sign something to say I know the rules, how would I defend flying above the pathetic ceiling they call reasonable.

I'd love to have your skills and patience to build properly but I don't, I rely on putting part a into part b and securing it with tape 😁

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A ZAGI ! Good grief man! Although, I quite like mine. In fact I have 2 of them, one with a pusher motor on it but have never flown it. The is the slope soarer. It didn't take long to get out of that tree

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
Seeing a some like planes.
This is a view from our back garden.

Reactions: ArthurCollins2

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
Something only Covid allowed over a working airport.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I took early retirement from being a radiotherapy engineer in the NHS a couple of years ago due to heart problems and the new manager being an utter pillock. I go caving when my heart permits, mainly exploring old mines in the Forest of Dean and Nailsworth. I do a bit of birdwatching as well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Correct Max. Aircraft eleky and I had a time when I was out in Singapore on PR7 Canberras, 81 Sqdn, at Tengah. It was hell, but someone had to do it :rolleyes::rolleyes: What mark is that on your Avatar? And from your forum name, airframes?
Sorry forgot to say - yes I was a Rigger - I carried on Riggering until 2015 when I just got fed up with the modern working environment and sub standard work colleagues LOL.
Our little Vitara came from Lincs - so we drove from perthshire to pick it up - managed to fit in a visit to BBMF at Coningsby and stayed at Petwood House.
I had only been to Coningsby once before (1982) when I blagged a ride with Jacko in the Lancaster,he had weather diverted into Abingdon and I flew with him up to Con via 2x Air Displays and a low pass along Luton Airport Rwy.
2.5 hours of fun in the Bomb Aimers position :cool:[/QUOTE]

Reactions: iooi
1 - 20 of 31 Posts