Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2018 Sorento automatic and tow a caravan with a weight around 1500, my question concerns whether I should use “Eco”, ”Smart”, “Sport” (can’t remember the other one)? Would really appreciate help from move experienced owners.
Thanks,
Tre

·
Registered
156 Posts
Oh for the simple days when you put it in drive and off you went!!! I know its going back a bit but with our 56 and 59 plate Sorento's we just put it in drive and didn't bother with, the then, tiptronic part of the gearbox.This included many trips across Europe and a few mountain passes. Does it not give some guidance in the handbook? The Sorento should cope with 1500kgs perfectly well, probably in standard driving mode.

David

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Err, pretty radical I know, but why don't you try and see for yourself what works best? Otherwise just leave it in whatever is "normal" for you?
Eco and Sport don't sound as if they'll do much for you when towing, so perhaps try them when you haven't got a caravan behind you!
People say the Sport mode transforms the car, but doesn't do much for economy, and Economy mode may not give you sufficient oomph when you need it with a 'van behind.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I use 'sport' when towing. It keeps the revs a little higher so the engine isn't straining and continually changing gear.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tow a 1500kg caravan with a Sportage 2.0 Auto.
In normal mode the car copes perfectly well, so a Sorento will have not the slightest problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 2018 Sorento automatic and tow a caravan with a weight around 1500, my question concerns whether I should use “Eco”, ”Smart”, “Sport” (can’t remember the other one)? Would really appreciate help from move experienced owners.
Thanks,

Good morning. I have a 2016 KX4 Sorento and pull a caravan weighing 1700 and in all honesty it copes really well and does not struggle. You should be fine driving in normal mode.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i usually put mine in Comfort when towing the caravan, I have an Elddis Affinity 550. Seems happy enough and doesn’t struggle, rarely if ever though will it go into eighth gear when towing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On any car with Sport Mode it’s best to use that. Better pick up with the extra weight and less chance of straining anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts