Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day everyone! My name is Matt and I run the Car Review YouTube channel MattBrandCars (link for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/mattbrandcars)

Kia have given me a 2020 Stinger GT and I wanted to know from owners: What do you love about your Stinger? What do you hate?

I like to get the opinions of those who actually live with the car as well as my own thoughts from driving it over the week. I use some of what you have to say in the review! (Scheduled release: 19th July)

Cheers in advance!
:)

Here she is:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...WaJgH6gPZewdRGk4fguwlDJJGUucw6NdLXke-FV&ifg=1

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hi Matt,
The Stinger What do I love and Hate ? - Well I am currently in my 2nd Stinger GTS (Had a ceramic grey 2018 model) traded in for a new 2020 Pearl White one in March this year (So I love the car)
These are just my thoughts, people may have different opinions and that is fine.....

1. Value for money - what you get for the price (Fully Loaded for approx £41,810) - I looked round for an equivalent spec car and all were more expensive, didn't have the warranty etc.
2. Love the looks - get stopped most places I go and get asked the same question (Is that a KIA?)
3. The performance is there when you need it (Drives really nice when you don't need it)
4. It is a very versatile car - fold seats down loads of room and being a hatchback makes it easy to load.
5. Did I say I love the car

What I hate (Not so much Hate, but things that I don't like or what could be changed) Granted some of these are Down to KIA UK and not problems with the car

1. Fake Bonnet vents - why not make them functional ?
2. Short service intervals (Every 6 months - I Think KIA are being over cautious)
3. UK get short changed on the sat nav updates - we have to pay for updates (That are 2 years out of date) everywhere else gets them free
(I think you Get - Satellite navigation multimedia system with 10 years traffic information (SUNA™) & 10 years MapCare as standard)
4. No space saver tyre supplied in the UK - You have to purchase it separately.
5. Limited colour choice we get 6 colours (Only 1 free - Ember Orange and No Blue options) all the rest are premium (You get 8 colours 5 free and 3 premium)

1. Things that need updating - Infotainment display needs to be the updated to the 10.25" Navigation With Telematics display as per the New XCeed. However not just stuck on top of the dash, needs to be integrated properly, not look like an afterthought.
(This Might be in the facelifted model being developed now - However it looks like the UK will not get this as the Stinger is not a big seller)

2. The main Instrument cluster needs to be updated to the new 12.3" TFT Supervision Cluster Display as per the one in the New XCeed

These should be in the Halo Car for the Brand

These are not really great problems really just things that bug me - doesn't stop the car from being a great car

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Matt
I've got a grey 2017 GTS and had it
~1 year. Here's my take on it.
Loves
Engine: Wow!!!
Loads of useful toys: Head up display, 360 camera, heated/cooling front seats, daughter loves heated rear seats, top class media, active cruise control, lane departure warning, blind spot warning, tyre pressure display, etc
Great for long journeys with the family as it's very comfortable front & back.
Useful split rear seats when extra boot space is required.
Looks: Never had so many people come up and ask about it. Tinted glass is a definite must. 😉

Hates
Rattling sun roof: It has just been "fixed" but time/hot weather will tell. Also it was previously "fixed" by the previous owner.
Blind spots: Between windscreen & side windows could be better but that's always the case with a sporty car. 😃
Boot space: It's annoyingly slightly too small to fit 2 standard suit cases in. Daughter has to put up with one split seat down in the back to accommodate them.
Service: Unfortunately both the garage I bought it from (Newport) & my local in Bristol have been very poor. Don't respond to phone calls/emails & give the impression they don't want anything to do with Stingers. Luckily found a good dealership at Chippenham. 😃

Overall no car is perfect but I wouldn't change this one.:)

·
Registered
2019 Stinger GTS Panthera Metal
40 Posts
I've just got my Stinger GTS a month ago as an ex demo car saving about £10,000.

• I love the fact that road tax is only £150 a year even with metallic paint since the list price is below £40K (the on-the road price you see for new cars includes first year road tax).
  • I love the way people stop and look at the car as they go past when it's parked up.
  • I love the performance and the way the car handles. It might not be super quiet, but it feels quick.
  • I love the way the car rotates around you when accelerating into a corner in sport mode, but not so much as to be scary. Slides are easy to catch if you're ready for them.
  • I love the fact that in eco mode you can get decent economy for a long trip when you don't want to go fast. I drove from London to Scotland at a steady 70mph and got an average of 38mpg.
  • I'm less enthused by the button positions for the 360 camera and parking sensors. I know they activate automatically when going into reverse, but if I drive straight into a parking space and want to turn them on, the placement of the buttons makes me look down for them.
  • I like the relatively huge boot space especially compared with the Kia Niro I traded in.
  • I like the fact that in my 69 plate car at least, manual mode does not jump straight back to automatic mode after a few seconds, but you can hold down the right paddle to switch back.
  • I like the fact that you can switch the adaptive cruise control to standard cruise control by pressing and holding the distance button straight after activating cruise.
  • I wish the ambient lighting was a bit more than one strip along the glovebox and the front seat pockets.
  • I also wish the mobile phone holder would fit larger phones more easily whilst connecting for Android Auto.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi Matt
I've got a grey 2017 GTS and had it
~1 year. Here's my take on it.
Loves
Engine: Wow!!!
Loads of useful toys: Head up display, 360 camera, heated/cooling front seats, daughter loves heated rear seats, top class media, active cruise control, lane departure warning, blind spot warning, tyre pressure display, etc
Great for long journeys with the family as it's very comfortable front & back.
Useful split rear seats when extra boot space is required.
Looks: Never had so many people come up and ask about it. Tinted glass is a definite must. 😉

Hates
Rattling sun roof: It has just been "fixed" but time/hot weather will tell. Also it was previously "fixed" by the previous owner.
Blind spots: Between windscreen & side windows could be better but that's always the case with a sporty car. 😃
Boot space: It's annoyingly slightly too small to fit 2 standard suit cases in. Daughter has to put up with one split seat down in the back to accommodate them.
Service: Unfortunately both the garage I bought it from (Newport) & my local in Bristol have been very poor. Don't respond to phone calls/emails & give the impression they don't want anything to do with Stingers. Luckily found a good dealership at Chippenham. 😃

Overall no car is perfect but I wouldn't change this one.:)
Hi Richan, the Bristol dealer is known to be poor. I have been with Weston super Mare for a year, but they are now giving the impression that Stingers are too much trouble. Useful to know that Chippenham are good!

(apologies for thread hijack!)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Looks and performance
Autonomous driving features. On A-roads and Motorway the car pretty much drives it's self - very relaxing for long journeys
Boot opens for you when both hands full
Seat moves back and wheel goes up to help you get in
Button on wheel to access Google assistant - can be useful. e.g. Ask google to turn lights on as you approach house, or send a voice message to the google assistants in the house.
Super comfy seats with many adjustments
Car is very long
Generates conversations with strangers

Don't like
Poor infotainment screen (better on later models)
Boring exhaust note (improved on later models)
6 months service intervals
Lack of a custom setup for suspension, noise, throttle etc (does exist in other markets). i.e, I'd like a soft suspension, sporty throttle but keep TC fully on.
No speed limit shown in HUD (fixed on later models)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here in Aus. the service interval is 12 months or 15000 Kms which ever comes first. Strange how things differ between countries

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with all of the above just wish the rear end didn't jump around every time you go over a bump

·
Registered
549 Posts
This:

Brief anecdote, but the kind that make me smile....

Drove into the village cricket club today (I coach one of the junior teams).

Parked up slowly and carefully in the line of cars at the edge of the pitch.

One of the Dads comes across....”Hi Dunc, love the motor, it sounds bloody fantastic!! What is it mate?”

Made my boy smile too. Just after, “You really love your car, don’t you, Daddy!”

Happy days....

·
Registered
736 Posts
Here in Aus. the service interval is 12 months or 15000 Kms which ever comes first. Strange how things differ between countries
That's interesting. Do you still have the 7 year warranty?

I do think it's over the top. My BMW has a 2 year interval - to be honest, I think having to visit the dealer is the thing I dislike at the most - right at the top of the list. That feeling I get when I know there's a high chance of damage, or at the very least some form of hassle coming. Hate it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes the 7 year warranty applies as well as capped priced servicing and we also get a space saver spare wheel and tyre.
As for the 12 months servicing, I can't see why it can not go on mileage. we have two cars and do about 8000 kms a year in each. The fully synthetic oils used these days are far superior to the old fossil oils and are useable well passed the 15000 kms. I think the reasoning behind the 12 months is just to give more work yo the dealers, as that is where the profit lies

1 - 15 of 15 Posts