Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*Update for everyone interested ! this is a broken fuel pump. They replaced the housing and the pump this morning and the sound is gone, also my MPG has become significantly better ( at least for my car that is..) Mechanic said one other car with the same engine from the same MY with roughly the same mileage came in and had developed the same noise. Probably KIA got shafted with a bad batch of fuel pumps or something. This should be fully covered under warranty. Maybe there will even come a callback for this type and MY. Good luck ! *

So I picked up my "new" car to me 2 weeks ago it was a demo car with around 5800 miles on it. Haven't had any issues and the car is dream to drive. Even the MPG is quite in line with expectations. However yesterday I started the car and I was greeted with a strange noise which is quite annoying. It kind of reminds me of someone vacuum cleaning in an apartment next door with flimsy walls.

It does not change frequency when I'm driving. But I have noticed that when I use some functions that use electric power the sound dips in frequency a little bit.
I can hear it in the cabin and you hear it quite well from the back of the car. Its a weird humming / pitched noise that sounds to me like a pump ? or a fan of some sort.
Its not coming from the engine bay as I checked if it might have been the alternator. ( its not)

In the first 500 KM I didn't have this problem and the car has been dead silent up till now. What could this be? Temperatures have been dropping a bit but when it was the same temperature a week ago it didn't make this sound. Tank is 50% full with diesel.

Since its most audible from the rear of the car could this be a faulty fuel pump ? or does the Kia have a diesel fuelpump heater or something like that?
I have attached a video here so you can hear the whine/frequency.
( sorry for talking through the video, but im very bad at making videos )
Especially when I get in the car you can hear the frequency change when i press the button for the rear windshield heater. The thing is that its not extremely loud but i have quite good hearing and its driving me insane i can even hear it over the radio. It wont go away when the engine is warmed up either.

Oh and i'm Dutch living in Denmark so don't be surprised by the weird License plate ( and accent ) haha .
Any ideas would be welcome !

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
576 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I think you are right, it is a noisy fuel pump. I'm fairly certain on a Ceed it will be in the fuel tank under the rear seats, it sort of dangles in from the top. Certainly quite annoying noise!

Unless KIA know of any batch of bad pumps (if that is what it is), I think they may be reluctant to replace it until it fails.

Reactions: Luxata

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I think you are right, it is a noisy fuel pump. I'm fairly certain on a Ceed it will be in the fuel tank under the rear seats, it sort of dangles in from the top. Certainly quite annoying noise!

Unless KIA know of any batch of bad pumps (if that is what it is), I think they may be reluctant to replace it until it fails.
Jeah so I could probably replace it myself without them knowing about it . I wouldn’t lose my warranty I guess ? I’ll let the dealer check it out for a bit and if they won’t replace it under warranty I’ll just get an Oem pump and do it myself. I have worked on cars before . Weird that it just started making the noise just now . I got the car with a full tank so perhaps it was dirty diesel ? Or something is maybe stuck in it

·
Registered
938 Posts
could it be that the car was sold to you with a tank full of "summer " diesel, and now the fluid in the tank is cold? Or perhaps you have refuelled several times now.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If the noise persists despite refuelling, I think letting KIA assess it first is an essential first step. At the least they will be able to diagnose it for you, even if they then back away from replacing it under warranty.

It should be a relatively easy swap, although that said I've never had to depressurise a high pressure injection system! Personally, I'd be wary of giving KIA any wriggle-room on the warranty by doing it myself, even if it is with a new and receipted OEM part. Potentially any future problem with any part of the injection system, and they'll just point at the pump you installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
could it be that the car was sold to you with a tank full of "summer " diesel, and now the fluid in the tank is cold? Or perhaps you have refuelled several times now.
I haven’t refueled yet . It’s still the original . Would that be an issue ? I haven’t heard of summer diesel before ..

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes, the formulation is changed in autumn and spring. I think it is to prevent waxing in lower temperatures, or maybe to dry out condensation, not sure which. Perhaps with people driving less (I assume Denmark is the same as the UK) some summer diesel is still sitting round unsold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I will definitely check it out with Kia tomorrow and won’t touch the car myself for now. Coming back to the diesel , it was registered on the 30th of July 2020 and drove around 5800 miles , so in 6 months that should be enough to have the right diesel in it no ? I also got the car with a full tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is weird....I have the same noise in my car, 2018 Ceed crdi sw trim 2, I was trying to figure out what it was as well, so I’ll watch this post with interest 👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is weird....I have the same noise in my car, 2018 Ceed crdi sw trim 2, I was trying to figure out what it was as well, so I’ll watch this post with interest 👍
Torby when did it start with your car ? I’ll put in some proper winter diesel tomorrow and maybe if I can find a diesel defrost additive as an extra . Maybe it will go away then. I’ll keep you guys posted

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve only just got the car, SW version 2nd hand (39k miles) from a Kia dealer with bal of 7yr warranty, I was waiting for my wife with the engine running and I heard the noise as you described, like a tone that rises and falls when other electrical items are switched off and on.
After reading your post, I searched YouTube and found some vids about failing fuel pumps but most of them seem to be grinding, mechanical whirring noises, so I’m wondering is this actually a failing pump or just the normal electrical motor sound. At the minute I can’t get to my Kia dealer, so that’s why I’m keeping an eye on the post...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
same here I bought the car from an official kia dealer with the warranty on the 17th of Jan this year. So we are in the same situation. I just got a reply back from the dealer / workshop :

"Hi Rick

I’ve checked the video you made, and I can hear the humming noise as well
It’s really hard to do any diagnose, without seeing the car physically
But since the frequence is change, when the car needs to produce more power for the back window
It might be from the generator instead

Anyways – it will be covered by the Kia warranty, and you can contact any Kia dealer with this problem
I can also make an appointment for you here, but if it is easier for you to take the car to a dealer close by
You can do that.

Hope it’s an easy fix, and you can get help quick

If you need me to do more, just let me know

Have a nice day"

So it seems like it is covered by the warranty . At least here in Denmark. Im not sure if the UK dealers are different in that sense but this is covered by the warranty from Kia. I will put the normal diesel in and maybe it will go away . If not i will go to the dealer and let you guys know. Im strongly thinking my fuel filter inside the tank is dirty since i read on some audi forums that they had the same issue. And replacing the fuel filter took the problem away.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 2018+ ceed, but I guess there is an in tank pump.
Fold the rear seats out of the way, remove any loose mat and put your best ear to the floor in the center over the fuel tank.
Get someone to turn the key or push button to "on", do you hear the noise?
If not start the engine, does the noise then become audible from that area?
If so then it is likely the in tank pump.

Dirty filters are more likely in steel tanks, ceed has a plastic tank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not familiar with the 2018+ ceed, but I guess there is an in tank pump.
Fold the rear seats out of the way, remove any loose mat and put your best ear to the floor in the center over the fuel tank.
Get someone to turn the key or push button to "on", do you hear the noise?
If not start the engine, does the noise then become audible from that area?
If so then it is likely the in tank pump.

Dirty filters are more likely in steel tanks, ceed has a plastic tank.
If I put the key in the on position I can't hear it , but I do hear it when the car is on and running. When the car goes in stop and go mode ( turning off the engine when stopped at a traffic light) the sound goes away. Definitely coming from below the seat in the rear. I've put my head and ears right on top of the rear seat in the middle and thats where I can hear the sound coming from the loudest. However I have not removed my rear seat yet. I just put in around 35 Liters of new diesel in the car and drove around for half an hour and the sound hasn't become less so i think the summer / winter diesel is out of the question.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, currently at the service and I showed the mechanic. He was like "this noise must have been driving you nuts right ?" So I'm glad I'm not the only one or that im just hearing things haha. They are currently looking at the origin of the issue. I will keep you updated when I know more

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update : The mechanic said its the fuel pump. He couldn't find anything about it in the KIA problems database, so he stated that it might be a rare thing, or because they used a certain fuel pump. Either way he said its fine to drive with, but they will replace the whole fuel pump housing and pump on the warranty just in case. Also will replace the fuel filter just to be sure since the sound is not normal.
So @Torby I would suggest to go to the dealer and get it sorted :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Excellent result, glad you got it sorted. And thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

I wonder if anyone ever put petrol in it? :unsure:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Excellent result, glad you got it sorted. And thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

I wonder if anyone ever put petrol in it? :unsure:
Well I bloody hope not 😂 .. it’s a demo car and I bought it from the dealer as certified Kia occasion. It only was used for test drives

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well I bloody hope not 😂 .. it’s a demo car and I bought it from the dealer as certified Kia occasion. It only was used for test drives
Hmmm, could have been used a courtesy car. Some dozy customer could have had made the mistake, had it pumped-out by recovery and returned it to KIA without saying a word. Only now are bits failing in the pump.

But no, I'm sure you're right, that could never have happened. Could it? ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts