Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '59 Cee'd 3 SW Auto 1.6 CRDi on 15,000 miles.
She's been fine since I got her about 5,000 miles ago. Solo mpg has been about 40 and towing about 30mpg which I consider not bad.
However after my last two trips towing our Eriba Troll I've noticed that the indicated mpg (even after refilling) has stuck resolutely in the lower 30's rather than heading back up to the normal 40's.
Is there anything in the mapping that 'sticks' the engine on low mpg even though the load on it has substantially decreased and if there is can I do anything to rectify the situation?
SDA

·
Registered
195 Posts
The mpg will have suffered as your total mpg since the last time you reset be lower. I started with 44mpg a week ago but after driving backards and forwards to work I'm sitting at 39.9. Its not budging past 40mpg. Give it a long nice cruise and it should improve again. Slowly..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thing is, as I understand it the average mpg re-sets from zero every time you fill up, so in theory as I brimmed the tank after we'd pitched the caravan the current average reading should be from when I filled up solo. But it's resolutely sticking at towing sort of mpg and appears not to have twigged that the load has dropped by a ton or so. Weird!
SDA

·
Registered
195 Posts
It only resets of you press reset on the dash when the average mpg is showing. It then resets from that point in time. Currently your mpg will be based on the miles you have done since reset was pressed. Hope that helps..

·
Registered
86 Posts
chris_1d said:
It only resets of you press reset on the dash when the average mpg is showing. It then resets from that point in time. Currently your mpg will be based on the miles you have done since reset was pressed. Hope that helps..
The facelift 2010 model resets its average mpg on filling the tank, (or adding more than 6 litres). I believe the previous model requires a manual reset.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
deeps said:
chris_1d said:
The facelift 2010 model resets its average mpg on filling the tank, (or adding more than 6 litres). I believe the previous model requires a manual reset.
Mine's a '59 plate but MY2010 updated variant. I thought that was the case but wasn't certain so didn't respond to chris_1d's post, but I did re-set manually as he suggested and for the first few miles (solo on dual carriageway with very gentle right foot) got an indicated average in excess of 50mpg. But then I plunged off the dual carriageway into the lanes of south Devon and it bobbed back down to 33mpg or so. I can't believe that the ultra narrow twists and turns and hills make such a dramatic difference as I tend to be very, very cautious tackling the lanes (it was combine harvester time) and the engine tends to tickle along at relatively low revs.

In the drag back up the M5/M6 being pushed by a ton or so of Eriba Troll she averaged 32mpg and this compares well to a guy I met on the caravan site with a manual Cee'd 1.6CRDi hatch who said he was getting 33mpg whilst towing.

But then I read a road test of a Saab 9-3 SW 1.9 pulling a heavier van for thousands of miles all over northern Europe and averaging 42.3mpg. How can that happen with more weight to pull in a heavier vehicle and a larger engine?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did indeed, but cut my costs by going over to tugging.

Are you one of the Ayrshire Oranges :) ?

SDA

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi, sda,

yup, went tugging again also, with an 89bhp car no less! bought a bailey orion after selling the hymer. tows well, though sedately up hills! mpg of 30 instead of the 60 i'm used to.

cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts