Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking ato cars for sale and checking them on the government MOT website. One Shogun I looked at had the MOT advisory "Underbody needs oil spraying". This seems a very odd thing to say as oil as a rust preventor wears off after a short while. Any views?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be but I've never seen it before. I always try and check the MOT history of any car I'm contemplating buying. I've seen advisories like "underbody surface rust" and "corrosion to chassis but not weakening the structure" before.

·
Registered
653 Posts
It's got to be a mis-type, I'd suspect the tester really wanted to convey that the underneath of the car was covered in oil spray (from a leak)
Maybe he had a poor choice of dropdown options to choose from in his system, or the person typing up the cert mis-read the tester's notes.
As others have said, a 'recommendation' to rustproof the underneath of the car is not something an MOT tester should be commenting on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Actually, many years ago, I did have a recommendation to use oil to spray under neath my vehicle. A VW Bay window camper, notorious for rust. He was a Council MOT station tester but in the days when you stood along side the guy who pointed out everything - if you looked interested as I did.Use new oil he said not old . He passe the van but I used a better substance , not Waxoyl, made up near Liverpool. ( Supertrol) Worked well as that van is still on the road , not with me though. ( 30 years ago).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Weirdest advisory I had was for the rear fog switch on a car I had some years ago. Initially the inspector failed the car since he did not like the switch but after I complained to him and subsequently the garage owner that the switch was the origianl fitted by the manufacturer and it still worked the garage agreed to issue a certificate after I stated I would refer the matter to the DVSA. When I looked at the certificate later the switch was an advisory. After that the car passed with the original switch and no advisory..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Could the car have been an import from a country that does not Have the need to under seal cars because its produced for a country with a dry climate.?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts