Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a YouTube video this morning of a guy getting a valuation for a Nissan Gtr through webuyanycar. As the patter went they were offering £2k over the Cap price. Now I've read that the used market is on the up so decided, purely for research purposes, to try a valuation. I was pleasantly surprised by the figure of £18.5k, this is for a MY2019, registered September 2018 Sportage Gt Line Gdi with 8500 miles. Now I am fully aware they would do you down on inspection for the slightest imperfections, but it seems to prove the point that good used car prices are on the up. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
209 Posts
the initial price they provide is realistic, but you’re likely to get a better trade in offer.
my old Mazda was valued at £6k (resale), they offered £4K and dropped to£3k on seeing the car (mint condition and FSH)
I part ex’s mine at Kia and got £4.5k with no quibbling.
the bloke at we buy any car said the online price is just to get people down and they never pay anywhere near that price!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
2,034 Posts
I've moved this to Main Message section to open the discussion to other Kia models.

By coincidence a good friend of mine had a Mazda MX-5 for sale (I can't remember the year). He tried the webuyanycar online quotation a couple of months ago and it gave him a £3500 quote, which was a bit more than he was expecting. He decided to try and sell it himself but didn't have much luck, probably the crappy weather putting people of. A couple of weeks ago he got another quote from webuyanycar and it offered him £4500. So it does look as if used car prices are starting rocket. My mate didn't sell his car to webuyanycar, he booked an inspection, but a private buyer bought the car before he took it in.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I was watching a YouTube video this morning of a guy getting a valuation for a Nissan Gtr through webuyanycar. As the patter went they were offering £2k over the Cap price. Now I've read that the used market is on the up so decided, purely for research purposes, to try a valuation. I was pleasantly surprised by the figure of £18.5k, this is for a MY2019, registered September 2018 Sportage Gt Line Gdi with 8500 miles. Now I am fully aware they would do you down on inspection for the slightest imperfections, but it seems to prove the point that good used car prices are on the up. Any thoughts?
I had the same valuation for my Sportage 68 plate GT Line with 10500 miles on the clock & booked an inspection & webuyanycar offered me £18250 which i never took as i am waiting for a new hybrid Sportage in the Autumn

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2019 Q7 went from 33k to 39k in a month. We were getting a new Sorento and used our local WBAC. The end price was 38745 with the difference being the £75 admin fee and some knocked off for front end stone chips. We have used WBAC before and they have always been strict with condition but have given us a good price.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Out of curiosity tried a few more online valuations, Evans Halshaw topped the"poll" with a price of "upto" £19392. At that price my Sporty has depreciated by £3617 in nearly 3 years. Not bad if l was thinking of selling.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
473 Posts
I bought my 66 plate (Jan 2017) in Feb2020 with 21,000 miles on the clock for £18k from Kia West London.
WBAC are now offering (almost 18 months later & with 38,000 on the clock) £16.5k for it...

As I could get a company car now, I am sorely tempted - as much as I love my Sportage the idea of having a car for 18 months and 17,000 miles and only losing £1500 in depreciation is a great result. Then my boss can buy me an Evoke and pay for all the upkeep!

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
209 Posts
I bought my 66 plate (Jan 2017) in Feb2020 with 21,000 miles on the clock for £18k from Kia West London.
WBAC are now offering (almost 18 months later & with 38,000 on the clock) £16.5k for it...

As I could get a company car now, I am sorely tempted - as much as I love my Sportage the idea of having a car for 18 months and 17,000 miles and only losing £1500 in depreciation is a great result. Then my boss can buy me an Evoke and pay for all the upkeep!
Is that the “price before seeing the car?”
If so the actual price offered could change!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just sold my Peugeot 308 to WBAC as they offered me £2.5k more than Robins and Day were offering me PX. It was also more than £3k above what WBAC had previously offered for the same car back in March, so it's clearly a good time to sell.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
210 Posts
I've had a similar experience selling my 2019 A Class this month, WBAC offered £2k more than trade in, Evans Hallshaw offered £500 more than this and my local Mercedes dealership offered a further £200!

People in the trade told me that used car prices are amazingly high at the moment due to some new cars having long lead times and a big demand so many are buying nearly new.
A Kia dealer also told me that another dealer had just offered his manager retail price to take all of his used Sportage!

So if you are looking to change cars now might be a good time, it was for me 😎

And just a bit of trivia .... Did you know that WBAC is part of British Car Auctions who also own Cinch the online car seller, I didn't 🤭

·
Registered
200 Posts
Is this not a bit like house prices going up? So you might now get more than what your house or car was worth 12 months ago...but if you sell you're looking to buy said house or car in an inflated market.

Maybe I'm missing something but if you get £2k more for a car now and are trying to buy a fresher second hand car surely you're also paying an inflated price. Or alternatively you're buying new and being told you've a 6 month wait because of supply issues etc? Or that prices are or no doubt will increase on new motors due to supply issues?

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
210 Posts
Is this not a bit like house prices going up? So you might now get more than what your house or car was worth 12 months ago...but if you sell you're looking to buy said house or car in an inflated market.
Yes it is in some ways but house prices tend to go up and down over long periods where as from what I have been told these used car prices are likely to be a very short term phenomena. Also there is no real evidence that new car prices are increasing at the moment and supply of new cars is only affecting some brands and in some cases models.

But you are right, selling now because prices are high might not be a benefit if you are buying used or if you are looking for a car on long lead times but if you have already ordered your car and its arriving soon you might want to reconsider the trade in you have been offered or if the car of your dreams is available from stock now might be a good time to change. :giggle:

·
Super Moderator
5,889 Posts
House prices only ever go up. There may be a short term dip over a year. But the trend is always on the UP.

It is just at the moment that car 2nd hand values are on the up. Which given that last year there were reports of thousands of returned pcp & lease cars stored at Rockenham, is odd. But it is the shortage of new cars that is causing the rise & many of the PCP owners now turning away after the scares they had through Covid. With the issues over paying for their rented car.
Now deciding that paying upfront & owning a car is a much safer option.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
210 Posts
House prices only ever go up. There may be a short term dip over a year. But the trend is always on the UP.
I'm not sure you would say that if you had been caught in the 1990 housing crash when prices dropped 20% after 1989 and many people found themselves in negative equity for a decade 🤣

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
689 Posts
I've done a quick forum search, and drew a blank about a website that has just pooped-up as a banner on a YouTube video I was watching: buymykia

It seemed tacking it on to the end of this thread was the most appropriate place to post it. Might be useful for some owners on here, thinking of cashing in on the current used car bonanza. The more places that can offer you a price, the better, I guess.

[To confirm, I have no affiliation to the owners of the site. And as it is, it's actually useless for me; a seven year old Proceed can not be considered a "...late model..." by any means!]

·
Super Moderator
5,889 Posts
Seems they also have buy my ford and mazda 🤦‍♂️

Which funny enough is what the group sell... Must be getting desperate for 2nd hand cars.

Reactions: macgd016

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
209 Posts
Just tried the link, apparently a valuation is unavailablue, also seems very limited on four places you can go to sell the car (closest for me is a few hours away!
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just tried WBAC again, purely for research purposes!, although mileage is now up by a thousand to 9500, so is the price to £19300...amazing!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just tried WBAC again, purely for research purposes!, although mileage is now up by a thousand to 9500, so is the price to £19300...amazing!
Try Motorway you will probably get another £1000 on top

1 - 20 of 23 Posts