Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all thanks for letting me join, I have a 2016 Sportage and having water getting into the tail gate , been into main dealership who said nothing wrong until I produced photos and then said the light cluster had a slight crack and replace under warranty after having it for 3 days . So had car back (with a load of scratches thrown in ffs) and do a hosepipe test just to check surprise surprise leak still there, I removed inner trims from tail gate and investigate . The leak is on both sides on the seam under tailgate lights as if no seam sealer has been used , anybody else had this or heard about it ? Going back Monday to see what they say this time .

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
552 Posts
HI JPP, welcome to the forum. :)

Hopefully they'll get to the bottom of your leak tomorrow, remember to keep us updated!

Reactions: JPP

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Updated on this ,main dealer has stripped another 2016 and water tested it and no water entering the seams where it does on mine so they are having mine back on Friday for Kia Tech to reassess it . Out come will be see if the seams can be sealed or new tail gate and they are having the rear quarter resprayed because of scratching caused by them washing it last time ffs

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ah well, onto Friday then! What a palaver, not helped by lockdown I suppose.

Can I ask, have you had the car from new?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes mate right palaver seeing as they didn’t believe it was leaking , Car was 2 years old when I bought it and I’m the second owner . Luckily after heavy rain I open the boot and the water traveled up the trim and exited from top of the tail gate into the car or I would never have known , so I wonder how many others are like it because you can’t see it ..

·
Registered
552 Posts
I only ask because a lad I worked with bought - unbeknown to him - a previously crashed car (this pre-dated the days of HPI checks). And that leaked like a sieve, it was just wasn't straight. I'm guessing your car's history is all good?

Hopefully a replacement hatch and new seals will see it right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes mate cars all good , just wondering if a few came off the line with seam sealer missing ?

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
Yes mate cars all good , just wondering if a few came off the line with seam sealer missing ?
If that was the case you would have expected the previous owner to have picked that up.

Does make you wonder if it has had some bodywork done. Might be time to get underneath and see if anything looks amiss, as well in that panel area for any overspray etc around it.
Could be previous owner damaged it and fixed it without going through insurance.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's good then, all the wheels pointing in the right direction!

But like iooi says, previous owner might have had some minor repaired done to the hatch. It might even have been damaged quite innocently; when I was a nipper I had the classic wind-rips-opening-door-from-hand incident (that put a nice crease in it). Something like that could be just enough to allow water in. It is very devious in that regard.

I don't know the Portage, but does it have those sort of bump stops? They used to be adjustable, not sure if they still are, now that cars in theory much more consistency built...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If that was the case you would have expected the previous owner to have picked that up.

Does make you wonder if it has had some bodywork done. Might be time to get underneath and see if anything looks amiss, as well in that panel area for any overspray etc around it.
Could be previous owner damaged it and fixed it without going through insurance.
Car is straight as far as I know , been underneath all good no over spray anywhere to be honest it doesn’t look like it’s been leaking for a long time may be a couple of months .
It’s leaking from the tail gate seams under the light clusters will try and get a picture up to show you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's good then, all the wheels pointing in the right direction!

But like iooi says, previous owner might have had some minor repaired done to the hatch. It might even have been damaged quite innocently; when I was a nipper I had the classic wind-rips-opening-door-from-hand incident (that put a nice crease in it). Something like that could be just enough to allow water in. It is very devious in that regard.

I don't know the Portage, but does it have those sort of bump stops? They used to be adjustable, not sure if they still are, now that cars in theory much more consistency built...
Do you know I have never noticed if it has those bump stops or not lol

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
Car is straight as far as I know , been underneath all good no over spray anywhere to be honest it doesn’t look like it’s been leaking for a long time may be a couple of months .
It’s leaking from the tail gate seams under the light clusters will try and get a picture up to show you
That does not look to have been doing it for long, as there are no rust streaks or rust where it would have pooled. How does it compare to the other side?

Reason I ask is daughter caught her last car on a supermarket trolly storage area. Put some nice dents in the rear quarter. Was costed at £1200 to fix if she paid or they could go through ins.
I talked her into paying for it herself to save a claim on ins. As she had plenty of spare cash..Seemed the best way to make her take more care with her driving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That does not look to have been doing it for long, as there are no rust streaks or rust where it would have pooled. How does it compare to the other side?

Reason I ask is daughter caught her last car on a supermarket trolly storage area. Put some nice dents in the rear quarter. Was costed at £1200 to fix if she paid or they could go through ins.
I talked her into paying for it herself to save a claim on ins. As she had plenty of spare cash..Seemed the best way to make her take more care with her driving.
Both sides are the same,I’m sure it hasn’t been leaking for long funny how it’s both sides in identical places all of a sudden.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update on this , the Sportage is going into the body shop today for reapairs under warranty, speaking with the service manager they have never seen anything like it in 20 years 🤔

1 - 17 of 17 Posts