Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old 03 Rio was feeling a bit underpowered under acceleration and sometimes it would cut out momentarily. I thought it might be an idea to change the fuel filter. When I took the old one off it was full of water! Looks like I'm going to have to flush the tank out now before I put the new filter on. Never had this problem on a car before, I'm wondering if it's due to the petrol having to contain a certain percentage of bio ethanol these days. Ethanol picks up moisture from the air. Anyone else had these sort of symptoms?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a similar issue but not checked for water, sometimes going up hill in 2nd gear the car brielfy cuts out and jerks and feels under powered from time to time.
Maybe related?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine did that in 3rd initially when going uphill, but then started doing it in first and second when pulling away, then under full throttle it felt very under powered. Do you tend to use supermarket fuel?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
V-Power = too expensive to use all the time, would settle for normal Shell petrol, butother half often runs the tank right down and only ever visits supermarkets

Even with V-power, if you do have water in the tank, I don't think it will get it all out. Seeif the problem comes backnext time you run it down low.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drained the fuel tank, it was quite clean inside. No obvious drops of water sloshing around inside but the fuel did look a bit turbid and when you shook it, it went streaky as if things were mixing around inside it. Washed out the tank and refilled, new fuel filter and now the engine runs very nicely. Much better acceleration and no hesitation.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fuel filter is just underneath the car in front of the fuel tank. It's quite easy to fit, the connectors are snap on, so all you need is a screwdriver to undo the filter bracket.
Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To start with I would just change the filter and see what happens, it's a straightforward but time consuming (and smelly!) job to clean out the tank.

The tank won't drain through the filter as the pump has to lift fuel out of the tank. I drove the car until it ran down the tank as low as I could, till the light came on the dash. I left the tank where it was, took up the back seat, removed the little metal panel, disconnected thecables to the tank, disconnected the 2pipes (push fit) uncrewed a big plastic nut (about 6 in across) and pulled out the pump and sender unit. Then I syphoned out the last gallon or so in the tank from the big hole in the top where the pump was. Cleaned the tank with some lint free cloths and IPA. Left to dry over night. I cleaned the sump pan of the pump and the strainer on the bottom of the pump and put it back togther. Everything has to be kept very clean. It helps if you park the car on a slope nose down, so the fuel is in the front of the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts