Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the title, Sportage - 2.0 XS manual petrol - 2008 to 2010 2nd generation facelift model.

There has - in the past month - been water ingress into the passenger footwell of the car.

It is clean water - no coolant, no screen-wash, no odours to it.

It is not a flood - nor a constant drip.

I have - last weekend - checked the aircon drain beneath - that is clear, and drips as it should when the ac is on.

I have had the wipers off, removed the scuttle cover, checked all the drain holes, cleaned out any debris, and there does not appear to be any blockage behind there, it drains as it should.

I have changed the pollen filters - they were dry but dirty.

I dried the mat afterwards - refitted everything and the car has been sitting unused on our drive for the whole week - with dry kitchen roll laid out to check for any further leaking, there has been nothing, until last night after a windy and wet night, the water was back this morning.

The drip is to the front of the flat floor, just forward of where it curves up to the bulkhead, and to the right of centre in the footwell.

There is no sunroof - the aerial is at the rear of the car, so they don't factor into it.

I have read older posts - referring to wing/bulkhead leaks, faulty fitting of the NSF wing, but if this was the case here - I would expect an 11 year old car to have leaked before now, and any hairline gaps to be blocked with dirt and crap.

I cant see how it would get past the windscreen - as they are bonded in - no rubber seals to perish or disturb.

There is nothing under the car mat - so it is from above.

There is no dampness in the roof or headlining.

Any ideas that I might have missed?

Where is this supposed wing / bulkhead leak? - I can find no pictures or anything to say where it is - it was never a KIA recall item, so must have been some internal to KIA thing, not that KIA is going to do anything with an 11 year old car.

If it IS likely to be the bulkhead - then has anyone posted how to fix it or found anything online? like what needs to be removed (and how!) and a picture of what has to be done? I have searched everywhere but cant find anything yet.

I have run out of ideas!

Thanks

Gerry

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
When you had wipers and vent off did you check around the raised air intake for cracks in the sealant around it as this is a common place for leaks.

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
Given it was wet & windy. Could it be coming from the windscreen? Which given the age of the car may have started to crack.
Wind driving water passed bonding?

Maybe try on a dry day with a pressure washer or a hose pipe if you get a strong jet from it round the windscreen area. Then has someone looking in the area in the car for drips.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A very common problem on MX5's which I fixed on mine this weekend is under the scuttle cover there are what I think are called grommets. While they look sealed they have a rubber underneath them that perishes with age and lets water leak into the footwells whenever it rains. If it is anything like an MX5 if it has been doing it for a while there can be a lot of rust!

Not sure if there is a similar set up on the Sportage but the future proof fix on an MX5 is a new grommet and bathroom silicone sealant so when the rubber fails again, it is still protected from water getting through.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys, thanks for the replies..

Wife was out in the car all day - and it just got back and it's dark, so wont be able to take a look and see if any water came in today.

Sunday I'll have a go at taking the wipers and scuttle cover off again, then I'll be able to check Birdmans air intake suggestion, and - weather dependant - will do my best at making making it leak with a hose/spray.

Not sure how I'd check if the windscreen bonding is giving up, there is a whole lot of trim in the way (which never goes back on again properly) but again - will take a look Sunday.

·
Registered
121 Posts
According to my local Kia dealer the bulkhead leak is a faulty seal that just needs mastic putting over it, but the wing needs to come off to get at it. They quoted about £200. Fortunately that wasn’t what caused the leak in my car, but as you haven’t got a sunroof yours won’t be the same as mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts