Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi just brought a 2002 rio lx tho im a vag man normally, i have two problems firstly the headlamps covers are very faded can you change them or is it headlamp swap job and i have a leak in the boot does anyone know where it comes from, its in the rear left part of the boot. hope you chaps can help and i look forward to hopefully a reliable little car

·
Registered
662 Posts
covers are part of the lamp check the rear lamp gaskets are sealed to the body, tailgate seal , or air duct flap behind the trim panel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think i have found the problem on my 2002 model lx rio it leaks on both side i think it is the rear bonding on the glass on the rear quarters weeping, because the leaks is dripping on the inner skin at the rear and above the rear light fitting which could be why people struggle to see a leak,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after trying to seal the rear windows it didnt cure the leak in the boot, but i have since lifted the trim on the roof cutter and clean and seal the trim back in with loads of silicone and it stopped leaking, ive read somewhere that when they join the roof to the body they put sealant on the edge then spot weld but sometimes the spot welds dont take right and it it can leak through, so far so good if you cant spot and easy leak i would try here be carefull when you lift the trim it bend/kinks easily

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
What about where the grommets are for wires at roof line which go to tailgate. I had these b*ggers leak on a Clio until I sealed them with a touch of Arbomast. Great stuff doesn't go hard and is flexible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Karlos

Just wondered if this is the same type of problem on my Kia Rio 03 1.5, which is leaking under the back seats, the seats get wet under them & when anyone sit's on them, their clothes get wet.

Is this a problem I can fix myself or would it be best to go to my local Kia dealer?

Cheers

Hotshot78

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi Hotshot, welcome to the forum.

For an 03 Rio I wouldn't bother with a main dealer, they will probably charge you more than the car's worth...

Have any of the underside drainage plugs been removed/lost?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi M4trundler

I'm not sure if any underside drainage plugs been removed or have been lostas without anycar manual ie: Haynes,(Can find a car book about Kia Rio's anywhere) I have no idea what I am looking for or where I might find them.

Is it underthe spare tyre?

I'm sure it's rain water getting in (The mat in the boot is soaking wet after the rain we have had in the last week here in the UK seems to point to this), just have no idea where from, just wondered if other Kia Rio owners, had the same type of problems.

Cheers

Hotshot78
Edited by: hotshot78

·
Registered
19 Posts
A drainage plug is under the spare wheel but this wont be the problem imo as i had the same problem it's common on them seal the gap at the rear quarter windows and take off the roof gutter strips clean the gutter and seal properly then replace the trim and your problem should stop as it did for me, it's not difficult to do so hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Billy

So the problem is not as costly as first thought, the family will be please, thought it might cost a couple of hundred or more.

Many for replying & also to the other Kia Rio owners for help with this matter.

Cheers

Hotshot78

·
Registered
19 Posts
your welcome mate, when i first got mine it drove me crazy sealed the gap at the tail lights(never helped) then did the rear quarter windows and roof gutter rails at the same time and that worked before that i was constantly drying the bootspace and draining the puddle in the spare wheel areaby unplugging the afore mentioned grommet so good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I appear to have the same problem. Can you tell me what I use to seal the side windows. I have tried the wire fitting at the top of the boot lid, but they appear ok. water is dripping just above the rear light housing on both sides of the boot, and what do I use to seal the gutter rails as well Tks for your help.also do I seal the windows on the inside or outside. Not much of a car mechanic I'm afraid, but have got most of the side panels off so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The roof rails will just unclip and you would then clean the gutter underneath the rails and then i used black silicon sealant with a skeleton gun both from B&Q paying attention to the weld line as this is the problem area i reckon they were only spot welded in the factory and for the rear quarter windows the same sealant will do just cut the nozzle tip just enough to allow a small stream of sealant out so the windows look neat almost like a rubber seal and then cut the nozzle a bit thicker for the roof gutter, hope this helps you and the roof rails will just push back onto the clips once sealant is cured so mind and pick a dry day

Edited by: Billyp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts