Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I bought my ceed SW may last year the smell when I use the washer fluid is awful. It smells extremely powerful in the car whe I use the washers. My hole family thinks it smells extremely much. You get headache if you go on a longer trip and have to use the washerfluid many times. The smell stays up to a minute also. I have tried to wash the fluid tank with water several times. And then put new washer fluid in. But it doesn’t help. Of course I know every car has a bit of a smell when you use the washer fluid. But it shouldn’t smell like someone is poring it in to the fresh air ventilation.

anyoune more how has this experience?

·
Registered
197 Posts
That is interesting. I smell washer fluid in my Mondeo when I wash the screen. It is a strong mix I put in for winter as I once had the bottle freeze and push the pump out. I assume that the air intake for heater/aircon is on the top of the bonnet near the windscreen and therefore sucks in the strong smell of the mix. Well, you could try emptying it and just use water until it goes and then use a very low smelling fluid . Put the heating /cooling off when washing screen to isolate the smell.I think if the bottle was full of bacteria it would smell differently but worth a clean if you can get at it! Mondeo behind front bumper!

·
Registered
274 Posts
When I bought my Pro_ceed from a KIA dealer, the washer fluid smelt really bad. I don't know if had been in there for a couple of years, or if they use dirty water or what. Fresh washer fluid only masked the smell and it soon came back. In the end after several fills and using some Milton sterilising tablets, it finally went away. Gaspo, it looks like your're in Sweden so you might not get Milton products, but there'll be an equivalent I'm sure in the baby aisle of your supermarket. Or failing that, I'll post you some! ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for you’re answers! I have tried several different brands of washer fluids. And like I wrote I have flushed the washerfluid tank with water several times. I noticed that the fresh air intake is just beneath the windshield. That must be the most the worst place to put it on. Anyway I can’t have it like this. If you go on a longer trip here in Sweden in the winter you have to use the washerfluid quite often. And it’s a really really awful to sit in the car. You get strong headache of the smell. I have the car booked for a check if there is a problem,a month waiting time,If they can’t solve it I’ll try to get them to take the car back. I can’t have this car. Never owned a car that smells this bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you are about to use the washer switch the air-con to recirculate a for a couple of minutes. You must have very sensative noses!
My brother and father and hole family and some friends must have something wrong with there noses.I have owned many Cars of various makers. No one even near of this terrible smell. But maybe that’s something you’ll have to live with the Ceed. Because my fathers Rio doesn’t smell this bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m based in Denmark, and as a consequence also have to use washer fluids quite a bit. As is probably the case for you, our climate requires fairly strong washer fluids.

Can’t say I’ve noticed any particular strong smells in the car when using the washers. In truth, the smell is much less intrusive than in my previous car (SEAT).

Sounds like you should visit your dealer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m based in Denmark, and as a consequence also have to use washer fluids quite a bit. As is probably the case for you, our climate requires fairly strong washer fluids.

Can’t say I’ve noticed any particular strong smells in the car when using the washers. In truth, the smell is much less intrusive than in my previous car (SEAT).

Sounds like you should visit your dealer.

Good luck!
Thanks for you’re answer!

·
Registered
133 Posts
My brother and father and hole family and some friends must have something wrong with there noses.I have owned many Cars of various makers. No one even near of this terrible smell. But maybe that’s something you’ll have to live with the Ceed. Because my fathers Rio doesn’t smell this bad.
If the washer fluid smells bad, change to a brand that does not smell bad. Many fluids in the UK have delightful fruity perfumes. If you are using a fluid that has a high concentration of methanol, then ths is toxic. Just a bad smell does not give you a headache. I don't like the smell of my washer fluid but it does not smell "bad".

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the washer fluid smells bad, change to a brand that does not smell bad. Many fluids in the UK have delightful fruity perfumes. If you are using a fluid that has a high concentration of methanol, then ths is toxic. Just a bad smell does not give you a headache. I don't like the smell of my washer fluid but it does not smell "bad".
tried 4 different brands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've come across this a couple of times, my solution was to drain the washer bottle and fill with a mix of warm/hot water and Milton sterilising fluid (baby bottle cleaner), work a little through the system to include pipes and jets, then leave for say, 24 hours, and drain off,refill with fresh, some of these fluids don't like to mix and/or can go off and the system then smells bad. HTH.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Spray some perfumed water over the car's air intake while you're inside with the fan on. If you can't smell it then, then maybe there is a leak in a washer fluid hose somewhere.
I usually wash only over about 50 km/h to avoid the fluid running downwards.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Some vehicles probably do have non return valves though the reason to wash at speed is to allow the fluid on the windscreen to blow over the roof and not run down towards the cabin air intake

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
As my cars have always been parked in the drive all year round one of the first things that I do is switch on and wash the front and rear screen before I move off. I never had a problem with the 26 cars that I've had over the last 65 years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts