Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I bought my new Tempest just two weeks ago and am very happy to join this forum,just a couple of questions,how come I have a sticker in the back window saying Soul 5 year warranty when kias have a seven year one?
Also do any models have a parcel shelf because although I have privacy glass I would still prefer to cover any goods in the back.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
the parcel shelf is something that is ordered and fitted when the car is registered. If your tempest hasnt got one fitted - contact the dealer.....he will order and fit it free of charge.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The parcel shelf isn't provided by the factory and dealers have to fit these. Some do, some don't. Our dealer provided one and the salesman dropped it off at our house on his way home about 2 weeks after we took delivery of the car. But other dealers don't supply them and make customers pay for them.I'm not sure about the Tempest model, but previously (our Soul is a year old now) the spec sheets didn't mention a parcel shelf, so it was a bit of a grey area as to whether it was standard on UK cars. It depended on your dealer. Luckily I knew about the issue so when I ordered the car, I asked if it will come with a parcel shelf and was told 'yes'. If I didn't ask, I may not have got one.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I was told that the Tempest came with one as standard.....it was just the cockeyed way that the dealers have to get it.....but it is standard so ask for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies I will take this information back to the dealer,it will help my case if he is a bit reluctant to get me one.
Must just say I love the looks of the soul and it has received good comments from the blokes at work.I am a bit concerned about the stone chip problem mentioned in the forum,better keep a close eye on that

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have a Tempest on a 10 plate bought 2 March and it came with a parcel shelf as standard. Love the car which has 5k on it now and is giving 48mpg ,it's the diesel.I am also concerned about the stone chip problem and thought about mudflaps but they do not look big enough to be any use, a lot of money for so little.Can't find any chips at all and I have been looking at the photo's and no problems with my soul as yet.Gear change is getting better which was a bit crunchy between 1-2 mainly.Has anybody had the full film protection fitted on the body,if so what are we looking at pricewise.What colours are the stone chipped cars,is it only certain colours or is it all inc metalics.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi. My chipped Soul is metallic black with shiny bits where the paint has now FLAKED off. Still waiting for a response fom Kia. They have offered to re paint it, but not happy with a rub down and re paint if there is nothing holding the paint to the body anyway. Parcel shelf drives me mad rattling. It is screwed to the body, but bounces on the leading edge where it only rests. as opposed to clipping in like most other cars. I love the Soul but it appears to be a bit like the X-Type Jag' when that first appeared, put it together quick and let the purchaser sort the problems out. I know that because I worked for a Jag' dealership when it arrived.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi , I have had no problems with my Tempest apart from the gearbox which is getting better as the miles go on.I have checked the body and as yet have not stone chips,no rattles which I am more than happy about.I have had many company cars in the past ,brands which were suppose to be up market like BMW but this Soul is much better than most of them.I am having the mud flaps fitted hopefully in the next two weeks ,don't look big enough but should give some extra protection.Still looking at the film but I have not found any company locallythat does it and I don't know what cost I am looking at.The only critisim I can think of is that the internal plastics mark very easily.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
All the damage to my tempest was caused in the 3 weeks after getting it in the snowy patch we had late december (careful running in and driving my new baby very slowly too!!!!!). The roads are pretty clean now so the chipping problem wll be much reduced......but it will be back next winter and lets see if the complaints will be responded to when the cars are a year old. The Tempests have the new tougher interior......imagine how scratch prone the old one was!!!.

·
Registered
111 Posts
would you say that maybe a protective film would have saved the damaged areas you have suffered ? as this is an alternative i have been looking at maybe 3m film across the bottom half of the doors, what a carry on tho to have to do what as you say should have been sussed at the manufacturing stage, i have notice d that the mudflaps are no longer on the "design your soul" website a full body skirt is there now instead it seems that is what should have been fitted from the off!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
yes the protective film would have much reduced the damage to the lower rear doors and rear wheel arches.....a lot of cars have a protective film applied direct to the metal and then painted over at manufacturing stage in this area - because its a well known problem area on many cars. The bigger tyres on the Tempest and the virtual lack of this manufacturer protection is what caused the problem on the Soul. And as the car was been used in snowy weather and wasnt getting washed it went unnoticed for the first 3 weeks.....thats all it took!!.....3 weeks of careful driving in snowy weather on gritted roads!!!....so if you are gonna get one - get it protected quickly.

The Kia mudflaps wouldnt have prevented it.....they were fitted but are too small and do not provide cover in this area.......i made larger ones to fit over them and they work a treat......i have also had side bars fitted to provide another barrier for the stones to strike.

To compound the problem the paint is very thin and dosent seem to adhere to the primer......each and every stone that was flicked up by cars going the opposite way and hitting my car was shown up by a chip. I traded my Fiat in at 8 years old for the Soul......it had a total of 5 -6 stone chips on it......the Soul got 40-50 chips inside the first month...thats how poor the paint is.

I am so very careful and particular about my car.....i cherish my cars and keep them in mint condition, perfectly serviced and i keep them for a longtime....i usually keep my cars between 7 to 9 years...was planning on keeping the Soul for 10 years......thats if it makes it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts