Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a new Picanto and have been looking into servicing it. I'm interested to know peoples opinions on servicing at my local trusted (non-Kia) garage versus the Kia dealer that sold me the car.

Is the warranty still valid if I choose to use my regular garage rather than the Kia dealer providing he uses genuine Kia parts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes it is as long as your car is serviced using genuine Kia parts. I did this with my last Sorento Titan(2008 model) for it's 2nd service because Kia was charging a fortune. I did take the car to Kia to have the body work inspection part of the service done as my local garage doesn't do that part. Kia charged £40 for the paint inspection.Whilst I was there the service manager asked why I didn't let them do the service and I politely said their prices are extortinate. I was then offered the 3rd service at a greatly reduced price if I let Kia service it.

I have just got a new KX3 and bartered the first 3 yrs services, Running boards and a detachable tow barfor nothing. I am well pleased.

·
Registered
662 Posts
the body inspection must be done at a KIA dealership and stamped in your service book as such most dealers charge around £40 for this its included in the dealers service costs all parts used must be genuine KIA parts and you need to retain the parts invoices to prove this the other garage must follow the KIA schedule and service routine and give proof that this has been done ie a tick sheet of some type car needs to be serviced to time or mileage parameters
one thing to take in to account is that your independent garage will not be aware of any upgrades, service actions, or tune downloads that your car may need during its life these are automatically done by the dealers gds system when your car is plugged in for fault checking (part of every service)

trade in or resale value will also be less at most main dealers as its something our second hand customers have all had drummed into them by the journalists "car must have full service history" most second hand buyers like to see dealer stamps in the service book its a bit like you finding out that your car was started to be built at a KIA factory but then shipped out to India to be finished off by rahage's chop shop

as cathymac said ask your dealer for a deal be honest with them most dealers will do a deal or think about a service plan

·
Registered
157 Posts
Reminds me of many years ago when I hired a car in Scotland, " RENT A BANGER FROM BENGIE" now his cars would have made Rahage`s seem like limos! Saying that it never missed a beat the whole week. It was supposed to be a Renault 12 but there was so many mismatched body parts on it ,I`m not sure what it was. That was in the days when every road trip was an adventure. Motoring to-day is a too easy.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi adamh149

I think for the first 2 or 3 years I would use a Kia dealer if posible , because with the modern cars they are more like computer, with the softwear now controlling more things on the car.

If there are going to be any updates they will be done on the service, the independant garage may not be in touch to know about these updates, and if not done could cause problem with warrenty claims in the future with the 7 year warrenty?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd stick with main dealer servicing, especially if you've had the car from new. More chance of goodwill payment from the manufacturer/dealer if something goes wrong once it's out of warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nothing wrong with a renault 4 as long as you never looked in the mirror on motorways and didnt try to stopat over 30 mph.
Travelled all over Europe on one but then thats the joys of youth!

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts