Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just a quick question before i book my Rio in for its 20000 mile service. I have noticed over time that the seats are wearing on the edges of the seats. At first i though the seats to be tough and hardwearing but ive only bought this car in November last year and not impressed at all. Also the car has a shakey steering wheel at 70mph and the car pulls to the left i have taken this to national to get the tracking sorted a few weeks ago but now its back again and still annoying me on long trips. Has anyone had the same sort of experience with the car. And does anyone think i car get the problems fixed on the warranty as the service cost is 200pounds and i dont want anymore costs being added.

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not too sure about the seats but there has been reports of tyres getting scrubbed / uneven wear hence the shaky steering.

I wouldn't believe the tracking to be an issue on an 08 reg car (unless the car had been banged into curbs etc)

Not surprising as the supplied tyres are naff.
I have also heard that replacing the tyres for some decent Michelin tyres solved the issue of shaky steering and uneven tyre wear.

The tyre wear issues seem to be more apparent on the diesel engined cars (due to increased weight possibly).

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Sounds like a wheel balance problem if your steering wheel shakes.
Pulling to one side could be the tracking or a warped or damaged tyre. If you swap the fronts over and it pulls to the opposite side then its a dodgy tyre. The original tyres are pretty crap.

I changed my steel wheels for 15inch alloys and got 195/55/15 Prestivo tyres which are made by Yokohama and it improved the handling and grip but I must say they are a noisy tyre.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys

Thankyou both for your answers and advice. I will have the tyres changed after the service and get some good brand on there.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
328 Posts
No problems.

I have been making enquiries regarding having a tow bar fitted to mine but costs between £250 - £599 are just stupid.

I would have to go through a Kia dealer to have this item fitted otherwise the bodywork warranty is invalid (even though it could be the same people that Kia would send the car to in the first place).

Needless to say I have not had this done.

·
Registered
662 Posts
ref towbar unless the car is drilled this does not have any effect on the body warranty issue with rio tyres revolves around tyre pressures being too low for town driveing causeing wear on inner and outer edges and this then in turn causes an imballance they also benifit from a wider wheel and tyre which is why the alloy wheel models are not as prone to the problem

·
Registered
328 Posts
I had wondered why people were saying about the tyres being scrubbed on the inside edges after 9,000 miles.

I have a Chill version with 14" alloy wheels and the tyres are fine still after 11,000 miles.

So your explanation regarding the problem not being present with the alloy wheels makes sense.

Thanks for the tip with the tow bar.
I would imagine that there are pre-drilled holes already in place for the tow bar to be fitted (I know vauxhalls are like this)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update..

To keep you guys informed the seats have been covered by warranty and i will be recieving new covers in a couple of weeks. Im curious how there going to be fixing it probably removing the seats all together who knows. I still get the shakes in the steering now and again but hopefully that will be sorted when i get new tyres if not back to the garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts