Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks just wondered if people have encountered this issue i Potentially may have. I have a 2014 optima auto 2 and have recently noticed the emissions light and was advised it was an EGR fault. Booked into local Kia dealers to check and they advised as it was billowing smoke on trying to get it to them it was in fact a turbo fault. They then required to see the service book which I have shown them. The service manager now says he needs to see ALL invoices from the services to prove that the right parts were used in the servicing as not all have been done at a Kia dealer. Problem is I have only had the car for the past 2 years as I bought it second hand. Surely they cannot expect to be able to show the previous 4 service invoices??? Any help is greatly received as it looks like a costly fix if not covered under warranty

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
This seems to be standard practice where non KIA servicing is involved, and I can understand why. This is not unreasonable IMO. Wrong oil/oil filter (or even no oil change) can lead to expensive problems. You have my sympathy if you purchased the car wtih incomplete paperwork.

·
Super Moderator
4,337 Posts
Sadly they can. As part of the warranty T/C.
Seems a lot of non kia dealers sell kia's on the basis they have 7 year warranty, but fail to mention that if the Kia service schedules are not kept to or fail to provide all the non kia dealer service paperwork (might never get it from previous owner) that you might have issues especially if engine related.

Reactions: KIA Sportage 2 2016

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems odd how if is in any way related to inferior parts used in 2nd,3rd or 4th services that the problem occurs now. After 2 further services and no issues..... plus who is to say that the correct parts weren’t used??? Surely this is for Kia to “prove” I have provided them with the invoices to prove that I have used the correct fuel and Kia original parts

·
Super Moderator
4,337 Posts
It is Kia's warranty. They set the T/C. Which is why it is always better to keep to Kia dealers for services. As well as it keeps the bodywork warranty in place. I know you had no choice in that.

How can Kia prove anything other than a failure, which on the balance of probabilities could be caused by a incorrect service. Without proof of what was actually done, they may have skipped a oil change. While it will not cause immediate damage it will not help. You can see Kia's point.

I know it is a very bitter pill to swallow given the potential cost of any repair.
I would get a 2nd opinion from your usual local dealer to see if they agree. Any repair by them could also be cheaper.

Which is why advice offered by most users here to anyone making a 2nd hand purchase is ensure that you have a full service history in line with Kia timescales/mileage limits. And if done outside Kia, that there is proof of what exactly was used. If not then be prepared to walk away or run the risk of a scenario such as yours.

A warranty is over and above your consumer rights. As such any company is free to set what they need to progress any claim.

Reactions: KIA Sportage 2 2016
1 - 5 of 5 Posts