Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a new Sportage owner and had a question re. the warranty. I recently bought a 2017 Sportage and was told by my local Kia dealership (Epsom) that the warranty is valid as long as I have paperwork showing the car has been serviced by ANY VAT registered garage using original Kia parts. Although I don't have a stamped service book, I do have paperwork showing the previous 3 services that had been undertaken by a KIA dealership. The car is due it's 4th year service and I wanted to use my local garage who are VAT registered but wanted to make sure that the information I was given is correct and that I don't in fact have to use a KIA main dealer. Many Thanks.

Super Moderator
You do not have to use a Kia dealer, this is a common question. But how well do you value the 7 year warranty? Kia as other marques are very good at finding ways to avoid warranty claims & going out of Kia dealerships for servicing is going to mean that you need every T & i dotted & crossed to ensure it's intact.

Make sure that they list the parts (& number if poss) used on the invoice, inc spec of oil & it is all the same as Kia specify for your car.

Remember that going outside Kia dealership, means Bodywork warranty is missed, unless you then pay a Kia dealer to do it & that any system updates will not be applied at your local garage. So again if anything needs doing it will mean paying Kia to do this.

So it might be worth costing out @ kia. Use the online booking service to get some prices.

Reactions: sasmjuk and Turnup

Registered
was told by my local Kia dealership (Epsom) that the warranty is valid as long as I have paperwork showing the car has been serviced by ANY VAT registered garage using original Kia parts. Although I don't have a stamped service book, I do have paperwork showing the previous 3 services that had been undertaken by a KIA dealership.
First of all, welcome to the forum, 'sasmjuk'.

With regard to your question, I agree totally with 'iooi's response to you but I have to question why you are even thinking about having the car maintained outside the KIA network.

As for the missing service record, why is it missing? That is most strange and if you purchased the car from a KIA dealer, I would expect there to be the official service document, all present and correct. Loose paperwork is easily forged.

The fourth service is a major one and in my opinion should be entrusted to a KIA dealer. That the vehicle was sold to you with a service due makes me suspicious. Is it due or overdue? If it is overdue, then in the event of a major disaster requiring repairs in the future, that you believe should be under warranty, you may find that KIA disagrees!

As there are shedloads of 2nd-hand Sportage models on KIA dealer forecourts, most with impeccable service history, I hope you purchased at a fantastically low price, particularly as the official service document did not accompany the car.

Would you guarantee a new vehicle for 7 years/100,000 miles then agree to meet a major warranty claim if the owner(s) had used independent garages with paperwork that probably doesn't accord exactly with KIA's rigorous service requirements? The 7-year warranty is a two-way street. The 1st party, KIA, promises to repair things laid down in the terms and conditions.....provided that the other party, the owner(s), adhere rigidly to the servicing schedule laid down in the owner's handbook that accompanied the car when it left the production line.

While there are some people who pop up in these pages condemning certain KIA dealerships, there are far more poor independents than there are poor KIA dealers. Are independents cheaper? Quite possibly but not by a great deal. KIA's labour rates around the country are generally pretty reasonable by industry standards, unlike some German marques or indeed, many other well-know brands. That is why I question your intention to entrust your car to a garage that will not even be able to update the infotainment unit or satnav maps, nor perform the bodywork check.

I really hope you chose well!

Super Moderator
Indalo
I did find that despite leaving service book on seat when taking daughters car in for 1st service it was not stamped, but paperwork was there.
As it is under service plan and using same dealer. I just mentioned it when it went for 2nd service that it had been missed. Returned to find it stamped with the correct mileage of the 1st service.

I do wonder how many people forget to take the service book (that handbook is far to big to leave in car) as such they do not get the stamp in the service book.

Really is time that Kia had a service system that was central based.

Registered
I do wonder how many people forget to take the service book (that handbook is far to big to leave in car) as such they do not get the stamp in the service book.

Really is time that Kia had a service system that was central based.
The service record booklet that accompanied my Optima from the factory is a separate document from the Owners's Handbook. Is the Sportage one not separate?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for their advice. So regarding the purchase. I bought the car at auction. It was an ex-lease car, with 23k odd miles on it. The car is in very good condition and obviously well looked after. There was some paperwork that came with the car including all the manuals, but the service book was missing. However, there was a receipt for an MoT from a Kia dealership which had the previous owners phone number and email address. I know it's not the done thing, but last night I contacted the previous owner who had leased the car and he was very helpful and said that all 3 services had been done as he had paid for a 3 year service package and they had all been done by the Kia dealership and that when he returned the car to the lease company (Kia lease hire) he also returned the service book, he could only assume that the lease company had lost it. He even emailed me the paper work from the last service that he had had carried out by the dealer. I called the dealer this morning and they confirmed that they had carried out all 3 services. The reason I wanted to take the car to my own mechanic is simply because it's the family mechanic that we have used for years. He's honest, reliable and does great work and at a reasonable price. I will certainly re-consider getting the work carried out by my local Kia dealership, as seems to be the general advice from forum members. Many Thanks.

Registered
Thanks to everyone for their advice. So regarding the purchase. I bought the car at auction. It was an ex-lease car, with 23k odd miles on it. The car is in very good condition and obviously well looked after. There was some paperwork that came with the car including all the manuals, but the service book was missing. However, there was a receipt for an MoT from a Kia dealership which had the previous owners phone number and email address. I know it's not the done thing, but last night I contacted the previous owner who had leased the car and he was very helpful and said that all 3 services had been done as he had paid for a 3 year service package and they had all been done by the Kia dealership and that when he returned the car to the lease company (Kia lease hire) he also returned the service book, he could only assume that the lease company had lost it. He even emailed me the paper work from the last service that he had had carried out by the dealer. I called the dealer this morning and they confirmed that they had carried out all 3 services. The reason I wanted to take the car to my own mechanic is simply because it's the family mechanic that we have used for years. He's honest, reliable and does great work and at a reasonable price. I will certainly re-consider getting the work carried out by my local Kia dealership, as seems to be the general advice from forum members. Many Thanks.
Good work on tracking down the servicing dealer!

WRT service book. It is not unheard of for dealers to remove the booklet, or hide it elsewhere in the vehicle during the pre-auction viewing in the hope of putting other people off from bidding. You could try asking if the servicing dealer could supply and stamp one up from their records - offer to pay them for this.

WRT non dealer servicing, some things to consider:

Your pet mechanic will not be able to apply any software/firmware/satnav map/ECU updates - becomes less of an issue the older the car gets

He will not be able to perform the bodywork corrosion checks so that part of the warranty will lapse - you could go to a KIA dealer for that but they will charge whereas it is built in to their servicing charges. That said I can't remember the last time I saw a rusty car so for me that would be no big deal.

He is unlikely to have access to the diagnostic scanners needed to interrogate any of the systems apart from the engine (as explained to me by an RAC man I had occasion to call out, EU mandated engine error codes be accessible to all but failed to anticipate the many non engine electronic controllers now embedded in modern cars) nor will he necessarily be able to interpret codes from those non-engine sytems with confidence.

He will not have access to recall campaigns or technical service bulletins and in the event of problems will take longer than KIA to deal with them.

Just some things to think about.

Super Moderator
The service record booklet that accompanied my Optima from the factory is a separate document from the Owners's Handbook. Is the Sportage one not separate?
I would think they are, certainly Stonic & Picanto are. It's just the the books you get take up so much space in the glove box. How many people simply take the lot out & leave them in the house?
I know that is where ours live. So you have to remember to pull the service book out when going for a service.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good work on tracking down the servicing dealer!

WRT service book. It is not unheard of for dealers to remove the booklet, or hide it elsewhere in the vehicle during the pre-auction viewing in the hope of putting other people off from bidding. You could try asking if the servicing dealer could supply and stamp one up from their records - offer to pay them for this.

WRT non dealer servicing, some things to consider:

Your pet mechanic will not be able to apply any software/firmware/satnav map/ECU updates - becomes less of an issue the older the car gets

He will not be able to perform the bodywork corrosion checks so that part of the warranty will lapse - you could go to a KIA dealer for that but they will charge whereas it is built in to their servicing charges. That said I can't remember the last time I saw a rusty car so for me that would be no big deal.

He is unlikely to have access to the diagnostic scanners needed to interrogate any of the systems apart from the engine (as explained to me by an RAC man I had occasion to call out, EU mandated engine error codes be accessible to all but failed to anticipate the many non engine electronic controllers now embedded in modern cars) nor will he necessarily be able to interpret codes from those non-engine sytems with confidence.

He will not have access to recall campaigns or technical service bulletins and in the event of problems will take longer than KIA to deal with them.

Just some things to think about.
Thanks Turnup, some salient points to consider.

Registered
I would think they are, certainly Stonic & Picanto are. It's just the the books you get take up so much space in the glove box. How many people simply take the lot out & leave them in the house?
I know that is where ours live. So you have to remember to pull the service book out when going for a service.
I had to put mine in the spare wheel well, or I could not put anything else in glove box, that's reminded me I must take it out as mine is having its 2nd service tomorrow 馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
We've always taken out KIAs service plan. Pay upfront and don't worry about anything for the next few years knowing everything will be covered, whether standard servicing, MOT or warranty. You pays your money and makes your choice and have to live with that decision if things goes wrong.

Registered
We've always taken out KIAs service plan. Pay upfront and don't worry about anything for the next few years knowing everything will be covered, whether standard servicing, MOT or warranty. You pays your money and makes your choice and have to live with that decision if things goes wrong.
Me too. If you really need to save a couple of hundred pounds a year then can you afford to run a car?

Registered
We've always taken out KIAs service plan. Pay upfront and don't worry about anything for the next few years knowing everything will be covered, whether standard servicing, MOT or warranty.
My Optima SW is the only KIA that I have owned although one of my sons had a Sportage for a time. When I was offered a 5-year KIA service plan at the point of purchase for 拢609.00, I jumped at it, not least because the balance is transferable to any subsequent buyer, were I to sell it on or px it, ie, the plan remains with the car.

There remains the last of the five services which becomes due in November and is basically an inspection. Unfortunately, due primarily to the withdrawal of the Optima model from the UK market, I really am at a loss with regard to a replacement. The rest of the KIA range don't quite suit my needs so I may have to look elsewhere.

Should I decide in the end to have another KIA from new, I will consider a service plan again but I was disappointed to note recently that a host of manufacturers now offer plans, either via an up-front payment or on a monthly basis but none of them could be considered a bargain.

It may be worthwhile for me to hang on to my present car and look again in another year at the EV situation although I can't go full electric without moving house. I have to keep in mind that due to my age, the authorities only allow me to keep my licence for three years at a time. Hey-ho! :(

Meanwhile, the Optima continues to give good service and runs beautifully.

Registered
Me too. If you really need to save a couple of hundred pounds a year then can you afford to run a car?
I think its more subtle than "affording".
I suggest that car buyers generally always feel they are being ripped off and especially by Glass Palace dealerships, partly driven by programs like Rip Off Britan which always of course show the bad side for dramatic effect.
If a owner can't see why a main dealer is charging 拢100 labour rather than "matey boy" in the railway arches only charging 拢50 labour than the natural, "I'm being ripped off" response kicks in with resultant out of dealer servicing / no stamps / no receipts of Kia bits used etc. The fact that overall, the saving can be far outwieghed by one major component failure (ECU / Infotainment system etc ) passes them by.

I do also think that Kia servicing records should be electronic. Saves paper, reduces fraud opportunity, buyers can be clear if the claimed full history is in fact valid. It's also a selling point for dealers to say "look potential customer, records are official backed up by Kia's central history data. You can buy with confidence"

Registered
Agree it's more complex than that. Folk can become pre-occupied with savings - we see similar things with fuel consumption. For me this is all secondary to motoring!

Registered
Servicing and maintenance should be factored into the overall cost of buying your car, be it new or secondhand. The cost of the vehicle, fuel consumption, maintenance, insurance, residual all have a value and you need to know you can afford it.... or at least you should.
When we chose our new car we were going to get a higher spec version but decided instead to use the money to pay for the service plan and have never regretted it. Our Soul hasn't actually been the most fault free car (a major disappointment to be honest and a reason we may not buy another KIA when the time comes to change) but with the warranty, and the servicing being carried out by our local KIA dealer once a year, there has never been any question about the repair of issues under warranty and free of charge. A major factor in car ownership should the need arise.
Even though technically you don't have to use KIA to keep the warranty valid do you really need all the hassle and expense that could occur if you use an independent garage and something does go wrong?

Registered
Servicing and maintenance should be factored into the overall cost of buying your car, be it new or secondhand. The cost of the vehicle, fuel consumption, maintenance, insurance, residual all have a value and you need to know you can afford it.... or at least you should.
When we chose our new car we were going to get a higher spec version but decided instead to use the money to pay for the service plan and have never regretted it. Our Soul hasn't actually been the most fault free car (a major disappointment to be honest and a reason we may not buy another KIA when the time comes to change) but with the warranty, and the servicing being carried out by our local KIA dealer once a year, there has never been any question about the repair of issues under warranty and free of charge. A major factor in car ownership should the need arise.
Even though technically you don't have to use KIA to keep the warranty valid do you really need all the hassle and expense that could occur if you use an independent garage and something does go wrong?
I fully agree and if a service plan is in place I would not have thought that it would not be too expensive.
Secondly what problems have you had as nearly three years down the road the only problem I have had is one mirror did not heat up as the wire was not connected in the factory.

Super Moderator
Service plan for new car 拢448 for 3 years. 拢149.33 per service. Seems very good value.
Means 3 years free motoring other than fuel, VED & Insurance.

Making a guess that OP is 2.0 engine. Looking @ 拢419 for service pack for 4 & 5 services, or 拢319 for 5 & 6.

Super Moderator
Not quite sure where warranty drops into paying up front. As that is all about meeting the T/C of the warranty. Sure a service pack can help, but only on the basis you are using a Kia dealer for the services & not possibly a 3rd party garage.

Registered
I fully agree and if a service plan is in place I would not have thought that it would not be too expensive.
Secondly what problems have you had as nearly three years down the road the only problem I have had is one mirror did not heat up as the wire was not connected in the factory.
Unfortunately we've had to have a new Radio/Screen Head Unit (old one wouldn't save stations), Brake Pedal Box replaced twice (first one due to the recall when we had no problem, second one after many months of complaining that the brake pedal was sticking, which strangely was the reason for the recall anyway), Front Wheel bearing replaced after it broke up, Emissions sensor replaced after warning light coming on. All on a car with less than 20000 miles on the clock. We like the car and can't complain about the after sales service but not what we expected when we purchased it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts