Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had any experience of having a 3rd party fit a tow bar and as a result Kia not honouring a warranty claim?

I am looking to have a tow bar fitted for my Soul 2 Hunter, kia appear to be 50% more expensive than a repeatable installer however I have heard that it will void the warranty.

I am going to phone Kia but I am concerned that in say 6 years time the car develops an electrical problem and Kia just turn around and say the issue is due to your 3rd party tow bar her is a bill for £2000.

Cheers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi,
I asked my Kia dealer if they would fit a towbar to my '58 Carens and was told they don't fit towbars. So I am assuming that if you get it fitted at a reputable and recognised caravan dealer, then surely they can't nullify the warranty. There again this is a car manufacturer we're talking about.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That's strange. My dealer gets a local guy to come fit towbars and so it does not void the warranty.

For peace of mind suggest you ask your dealer to put in writing that a towbar fitted by , say, a Caravan Club approved fitter, will not void your warranty. If they won't give this assurance then contact KIA customer service direct and ask them.
Knowing KIA - and probably all manufacturers - they will use any excuse to get out of warranty.
Personally I would not fit it until you get written confirmation one way or the other.

·
Registered
887 Posts
It shouldn't, however, if you book your car in with, for example, fog lamps not working, and they find it's the towbar installation causing the issue, then it's reasonable it's not covered by warranty?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts