Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to hire a car from the biggest hire company in Europe (so they claim) and ended up with a 10 reg Glalaxy (nice car but not practical for me). Three weeks after the car went back I had a letter from my insurance company stating the hire firm had put a claim in against me for "scuffed alloys" I queried this with my insurance peeps stating the hire firm never checked the car either after dropping the car off or before taking it back. Yesterday I recieved a letter (6 weeks since the car went back) from the insurance peeps saying the hire firm had "dropped" the claim. How many people would have just coughed up. Take care people.

(P.S. I don't think the guys running the hire company have fathers)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I worked for car hire companies in 1990 through to 2004 so i am well up on their scams.
It is in the best interest of the customer to check the car thoroughly before signing for it and point out any damage and getting it confirmed by a staff member before taking the vehicle.
There should be a check sheet with every vehicle showing all damage on it.
When you return the vehicle have a member of staff go over it with you noting any further damage or if there is none mark down NO FURTHER DAMAGE and get him to sign it along with yourself. That way they cant come back to you later on with a claim for damage.
Your best to take their insurance and collision damage waver and excess protection at the time that way if you do damage it then you wont be risking your own insurance.
I saw many customers picking their rental up and not checking it before signing or driving off with it. The vehicle could have sustained further damage while it was sitting in the rental park caused by other customers or people with trolleys passing by.
If it takes you 5 minutes to check the car over its worth it in the long run or you could get the blame for damage you did not cause. Seen it many times but its hard for the customer to prove he never caused the damage.
SO RENTER BEWARE CHECK IT THOROUGHLY BEFORE LEAVING AND RETURNING AND REPORT ANY DAMAGE TO A STAFF MEMBER.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Davy,

The car was delivered & picked up from my office & thought it was intheir protocal tooffer the checks. I know they should have shown me round but it was monsoon time and they didn't want to get wet. I have witnesses to say they didn't offer the checks to me on either occasion. A friend working in the insurance industry told me they have no proof I was at fault which is why (I'm guessing) they dropped the claim so quickly. I'm just miffed they tried it on - been hanging over my head for 6 weeks. I learn pretty quick and won't use this firm again. It's bordering on deception what they done. The wife has told me to forget it and move on but if I save someone from this sort of scam - I'll be happy.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
They usually back down when a customer disagrees with their findings as it is hard for them to prove it was you as this could have happened when the rental driver delivered it to you or a rental park.
I delivered thousands of cars to companies and always showed them on check sheet all the damage recorded and asked them to check it over before signing as there could be some that the valeter/checker had missed, most of them just signed it and couldn't be bothered to check the car.
Knowing all this I always check a car or van over that I have rented from various rental companies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts