Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 2016 2.0 litre diesel sportage have an annoying issue keep getting message saying check exhaust system get an orange warning light.. have taken car to garage 3 times thel ast time the engine management light was showing orange. have used high revs through the gears but problem seems persistent?? any help on this issue would be most welcome.

·
Registered
289 Posts
hi i have a 2016 2.0 litre diesel sportage have an annoying issue keep getting message saying check exhaust system get an orange warning light.. have taken car to garage 3 times thel ast time the engine management light was showing orange. have used high revs through the gears but problem seems persistent?? any help on this issue would be most welcome.
Is it an DPF warning...? I.e. has it tried to regenerate but has been interrupted by short journeys...?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I'd probably suggest the same.

The Diesel Particulate Filter can become clogged with short journeys.
I'm pretty sure I read that a regeneration can take 20 minutes to perform, so if you were to switch off the car during this regeneration, then this would be interrupted.

This is not a specific fault with the Sportage, but with most modern diesels.
They are no longer really suitable for school runs I'm afraid.
If you want to avoid keep taking it back to the dealers, and any possible charges for them to force a regen, I can only suggest that you take it for a blast down the motorway accasionally.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would agree that it's probably a dpf clean is needed.
Take it non stop at about 2500 rpm to get the exhaust hot to burn off the soot held in the dpf do this for 20 mins and when a dpf does a burn off about every 700 miles on mine exhaust smells of burning soot smell best not to stop engine but to allow the regen to finnish .

·
Registered
833 Posts
You can always try some regen cleaner. But as said first I would hit the sport button to increase the revs and blast it up the road for 20 mins keeping above 2500 rpm . I use regen addictive in me mine every 16 weeks , and have had no trouble, you pays your money and takes your chance.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
This is my 3rd car in about 10 years with a DPF.
I dont drive fast, but I do travel 25 miles each way to work everyday.
Usually 10 miles urban 15 miles slow motorway.

Not once I have experienced a regen, or a DPF error.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies i understand it has had 2x re gens by kia the engine management light also comes on the exhaust light goes off but not the eml? have done the high rev solution but problem still appears?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thanks for your replies i understand it has had 2x re gens by kia the engine management light also comes on the exhaust light goes off but not the eml? have done the high rev solution but problem still appears?
You say it's been into Kia 3 times for this problem now, what are they saying about it? If it's had 2 forced regens then it looks like something is faulty or the problem is elsewhere..

·
Registered
4 Posts
kia sportage 2019

I bought a Kia Sportage 2019 a month ago, and I faced the same problem,( check exhaust system) please inform, is this signal dangerous ??, and what is the solution, only 2000K i drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
kia sportage 2019

I bought a Kia Sportage 2019 a month ago, and I faced the same problem,( check exhaust system) please inform, is this signal dangerous ??, and what is the solution

·
Banned
5,229 Posts
I bought a Kia Sportage 2019 a month ago, and I faced the same problem,( check exhaust system) please inform, is this signal dangerous ??, and what is the solution

Depends on your definition of dangerous. If not fixed the car will eventually stop. Take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All, Apologies if this has been covered before...

I have recently bought a used KIA Sportage 2016 2.0e which keeps throwing the flashing yellow indication for DPF (check exhaust system) and also the check engine indication has been turned on. It's been back to the garage and they've so far done a DPF cleaning (the report showed that it was 35% blocked), used fuel additive for cleaning, made a regeneration process through the diagnostic pc and all these dont seem to resolve it.

Next step the garage told me to replace the sensors that go on the DPF and see..

The problem appears mainly on a long journey at high speed, but also occured while doing short distances.

Anyone have any suggestions please?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to the site, I've read a few comments on here about the
"Warning check exhaust system"
My 2018 Cee'd has now come up with this 2 days running, at the same spot on a hill. Would you put this down to a dodgy sensor, as when you turn it off, and fire it back up, the warning goes off.
I haven't had any dpf warnings, or regents to my knowledge. It is a learner car, so the speed varies consistently, and runs all day long.
Any ideas??
Many thanks.
Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts