Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a Hyundai fan for 10 years now currently running a Getz 1.4 on an 07 plate. I am looking to get a new car next March and after loads of research (seriously) decided on a white Soul. Just the basic 1.6 petrol but it suits my needs. I am worried however about all the talk on the website about the paint problems. Do I need to worry on an 11 plate car?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Not heard of any MY11 with paint probs - picking up my Tempest on Sat. Put your order in now and you may get it by March

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have a march 10 plate tempest with not one problem with anything including paint,have 13.5k mileage on it now,must have been the odd one with a problem if you are unlucky stevekaye

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
its not confined to Kia its all cars with water based paints....... its just that the Soul has lots of upright painted metal in the line of fire and just seems to come off worst. Film protection is the full answer and protects from other cars throwing stuff up. Bigger mudflaps stops 95% of the self inflicted damage by the big sticky out wheels.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
my wifes hyundai is 10 years old and the paint is bullet proof and has only 1 big stone chip to show for its hard life. My Tempest picked up about 40 small stone chips in its first 3 weeks driven carefully in last years snowy spell - extreme conditions admittedly....but damaged all the same - and my wifes car was used at the same time to ill effect.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Mechanically the Kias are fine and tough and decent to drive. Get the film protection done within the price and enjoy the Soul.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are beginning to convince me! As I am thinking of the Soul 1 with standard steels I presume they fit within the arches and don't throw up too much muck to sandblast the side of the car. That just leaves the bonnet then. I can live with that as my son is fairly handy in the paint department and can do the chips. Just an issue about delivery times to worry about then..................

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The best Soul in my opinion would be the base 1.6. You get most of the good looks (the 18s do add to this on the higher models) It has enough toys to keep you happy. The safety features are all standard. The smaller wheels and tyres will give the best more supple ride possible, you will get less stonechipping on the sides and the tyre replacement prices will be sensible unlike the 18inch wheels. The lightweight petrol engine will give better handling than the slightly nose heavy diesel without a big drop in economy (the diesel isnt as economical as its rivals - its only real benefit over the petrol is that its a bit stronger thru the gears). Get some big mudflaps on the front anyway - just to be on the safeside and dont tailgate other vehicles. If you could get the film work on the nose done at a reduced cost - you would be done and dusted and very happy in my opinion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
tempest said:
The best Soul in my opinion would be the base 1.6. You get most of the good looks (the 18s do add to this on the higher models) It has enough toys to keep you happy. The safety features are all standard. The smaller wheels and tyres will give the best more supple ride possible, you will get less stonechipping on the sides and the tyre replacement prices will be sensible unlike the 18inch wheels. The lightweight petrol engine will give better handling than the slightly nose heavy diesel without a big drop in economy (the diesel isnt as economical as its rivals - its only real benefit over the petrol is that its a bit stronger thru the gears). Get some big mudflaps on the front anyway - just to be on the safeside and dont tailgate other vehicles. If you could get the film work on the nose done at a reduced cost - you would be done and dusted and very happy in my opinion.

I would have said that the 2 would have been the best, cause the wheels are only 16" alloys so the sandblasting shouldnt be a problem, and you get the extras like bluetooth, ipod cable and steering controls. The 1 doesnt even come with a parcel shelf!

·
Registered
71 Posts
tempest said:
oh!.... and specify reversing sensors if you can..... they are a must in my opinion with a soul.

Or get the shaker and get the rear camera AND the sensors like i did!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all sounds good to me. I will be having a tow bar fitted as I use it for towing a trailer and to carry a bike rack so not too worried about the rear sensors. A white Soul 1 it is then with mudflaps and a towbar. I shall start haggling after Xmas for a good March deal and see what I can get offered for the Getz privately at first and then on a trade in.
I will keep the site informed of progress!

·
Registered
71 Posts
indeed... thats why i mentioned the bluetooth, steering controls etc that you get on the 2 but not the 1. Each for their own i suppose, personally im a gadget freak lol

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
when i mentioned the base as been best - i meant in wheel size and engine weight. The Soul 2 would be my pick of the bunch.... but in terms of value for money - the Soul 1 would fit the bill.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I suppose on value for money the 1 is a good choice, if your not too bothered aboutfeaturesand want a car that will simply go from a-b. That said, getting all those safety features, aircon and FULL electric windows is pretty good going for a base model.

I think it must be said though that with extras you would have to buy that you would normally expect to be standard (such as the parcel shelf! - heard this to be £££) the 2 is a very close runner up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts