Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 sedona 2.9 CDTi. Ive had it 3 months, its got new tyres all round, new discs and pads, and ive had the tracking checked and adjusted. Has anyone else suffered from wandering steering ? Its wandering left when you let go of the steering wheel. Apart from that its great. Just done 1100 miles in a week from newcastle down to devon and back. got there in just over half a tank, 43mpg,, got to 400 miles and had half a tank left... great car......

·
Registered
192 Posts
i take it you checked tyre pressure then ,then check suspenstion on the left ie drop links ,shocker,ball joint ,arm bushes,did it wear your old tyre outside.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the car in May of this year, it already had 4 new tyres on it. it has been in for the tracking to be lazer aligned. Its also been to my friends garage to have the left side of the car checked. He has had it up on the ramps and has checked it and says that he can not see any adverse wear on any of thecomponents on there. I check the tyre pressures regularly and keep them at 35 as instructed by the owners manual. if you have any other suggestions ide be grateful.

cheers

tony

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aquick thought which may not be the source of your issue,
do you have play in the steering wheel when the car is static and engine off?

does it wander other ways, like if you hit bumps or cats eyes you have to correct?

If its truely wandering and there's play in the steering, check the intermediate steering shaft , known to go on sedonas. I changed the intermediate shaft on mine and what a difference to the steering . Can see by key out of ignition, handbraker, park,jacking and chocking car on drivers side, remove wheel take off black rubber guards and point a alight at the u joint as friend turns wheel , should be no play.

It may be just following the road camber?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh yes, and I've seen on other forums confirmed by my sedona when I got it,sedonas wear on the inside fronts due to the factory set camber (NB thats not the tracking). Some ownerstry to get round this by over pressure front tyres (make sure you've got tyres capable of this). It does result in a heavy ride.
My own research suggests there is the possibility to adjust to a different preset camber setting but this could well affect road handling)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, I know it is a couple of years down the line. Are the tyers of the eight ply type for the heavier vehicle. If not you will find the tyer side wall deforming on bumps and bends, effectively steering you off course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts