Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just been in touch with the dealer about ordering our new face lift Soul, and he's heard rumours that it may be 6 months from order to delivery. He's going to call me back Monday after speaking to H.O and regional manager. Hope its not going to be that long, has any one else had to wait that long for a new car?

·
Registered
283 Posts
There will be a transition period where all the old stock will need to be sold otherwise they will end up giving them away. For that reason they will hold back delivery of the facelift until they can guage what it happening. If they do some deals on existing stock and clear it they may well appear sooner.

However, we have a further complication here and that is what the diesel engines will consist of. Within Kia's blog they have stated that there will be a 6 speed diesel but engineering it in will take some resource. Maybe the first will come with the existing drive train but for sure the goal will be with the new. Petrols should be rolled out with the new 1.6 GDI.

I think it will be worth the wait but if for some reason you can't endulge in some heavy bargaining!
Edited by: anchorman

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have checked around but there are no diesel autos available, so we'll have to wait for the new version. Hopefully it'll be good news from the dealer on Monday and it will be sooner than the 6 months, but as it's the one that we want think that it will be worth the wait for it, and will be a lovely Christmas present.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great news, Have received the call from the dealer today and will be able to order our new car at the end of July with a delivery date end of September beginning of October. It will be the new Soul 2 facelift model. Can't wait now to put pen to paper. Might just have to go and have another few test drives before then, wonder if they'll let me borrow one for a weekend.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
when will the new Soul actually appear in showrooms.... cos hopefully the new one will drive better than the current one with its new engine and 6 speed box. And can you ask about the diesel model please?.... what engine type size/gearbox etc and post the answers please.... if i go there - i will only finish up wanting to buy one too.
Edited by: tempest

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Again all, got bored this afternoon so i called the Kia H.O to find out some answers for your questions and the answer is they don't know, They have no idea what engine or box as they are waiting to hear from Korea and are a bit busy pushing the advertising campaign for the Kia Piccanto. those were the words of the chap on the end of the phone. As I am bored and have not a lot to do today I am now going to try and findthe email address of Kia in Korea and Email them and see what i can find out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Tempest, I hope not! Have you checked out the Venga forum? There are a lot of people having problems with the 1.4 diesel engine, also would a 1.4 engine in the Soul not feel a bit underpowered? I will be honest, I don't know much about cars but I generally know if something is amiss from how the car feels & sounds.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I won't be buying a Soul with a 1.4 diesel thats for sure,the eco 1.4 engine would appear to be under devolped in the Venga and the Soul is to heavy for the 1.6 it has now if the truth is known.What it needs is a 2.0 lit diesel with more torque not smaller,put a 6 speed box on it and that would be better.Power about the same or silightly moreis ok but increase the torque by 35% and there you have a good combination.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The trouble is that if you up spec the engine too much you make into something other than a city/urban crossover car. A 2.0 litre soul diesel would be fun but not practical. Maybe the 1.7 but TBH the 1.4 is probably quite capable.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Why would it not be practical as long as the MPG was good and it could be around 45-50mpg on a 2 lit diesel (my son had a 1.9 Skoda VRS 180bhp and 50+mpg) .A 1.4 in a car of the size of the Soul would flog it to death and I cannot see that the MPG would be good at all. I want a car thats fun otherwise I would not have bought into a Soul but would have bought a 1.4 eco Venga.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Only because it takes it up another level Dave.

If you fit a 2.0l diesel it would go well - no doubt but it then adds to the emmissions (road fund license) and the overall cost etc which makes it less attractive to the current vfm seeking buyers.

I think the 1.4 would pull as well as the current 1.6 petrol although it will feel long legged with a 6 speed box. The venga is actually 10kgsheavier than a Soul unladen and 20kgsheavier fully laden (comparing diesel variants with manual transmissions). That might be surprising but the Venga is quite a spacious vehicle.

You never know, they might drop the 1.7 in or even just tie up the current 1.6 with a 6 speed box. We'll see!!!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I am surprised that the Venga is that heavy ! Large engines however do not always mean higher emmisions just adding stop start can help quite a lot.Still would not want a 1.4 though I do not think that the Soul would sell with a smaller engine but if it was 2wd or 4wd as options then 1.6 or 1.7 diesels with a 2.0 lit option and possibly some petrol engine about the same size would be the way to go. Cover several levels and I am sure it would sell,look at the Skoda Yeti ,very small in the rear seats and not very comfortable,the soul is much better.Just a small lift in spec and there you have it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Would have rather had a Sportage than the Yeti, I rode in the back of the Yeti and I was very suprised how tight for room it was, the middle seat was almost no use at all. The seats were also uncomfortable but as I did not get the chance to drive it I cannot comment on that side of it but when he told me how much he paid for it then I am not sure that I could have justified the money at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Telephone discussion today said I could order either a Soul 1 or 2 in 2012 spec for delivery in October (apparently it became orderable today). Sadly I was rather hoping the details of the Originals might be available. New lamp clusters, Bluetooth as standard, New Bumpers seemed to the offer.
Anybody know if there will be a new or changed original listing soon? I'm hoping for one with a cruise control and sunroof (without having to pay for the dealer fit cruise control)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts