Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New member. Came here to benefit from your collective wisdom.

I live in Pakistan and have a very real and immediate problem. The city I live in is largely flooded owing to the monsoons being unusually heavy this year.

Need to know the safe wading depth for the 2019+ Sedona (we call it the Grand Carnival) here.

Help appreciated. Means the difference between staying at home or going to work this week.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Golden rule, allways let others wade before you so you are not the 1st person to find a hole or concealed obstacle.
Any wading more than a few inches will probably mean water in the doors, sills, lower lights, and increased rust later on.
Put something in front of the air intake to keep waves out, if there will be passing busses and such.
The fan can be damaged and chew into the radiator if it gets submerged, the blades will pull forwards.
Otherwise it may be the electrics that limit wading depth. There are sensors located low on modern cars.
The best bet may be to copy others let them go first, see that they exit safely before you try, and have your recovery ropes already attached so the car won't be submerged for too long incase you can't continue.
Any wading may require a workshop visit later on to fix something.
In my own car I'd draw the line around 4 inches on a clean asfalt road, double that in a rental car.

·
Super Moderator
3,281 Posts
Depends on the water. Fast flowing water (would not even attempt it) will be a lot lower than still water.
A good guide is anything less than the body of the car, anything above can cause the car to either start floating or water ingress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on the water. Fast flowing water (would not even attempt it) will be a lot lower than still water.
A good guide is anything less than the body of the car, anything above can cause the car to either start floating or water ingress.
By body I take it you mean bumper height as maximum?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Golden rule, allways let others wade before you so you are not the 1st person to find a hole or concealed obstacle.
Any wading more than a few inches will probably mean water in the doors, sills, lower lights, and increased rust later on.
Put something in front of the air intake to keep waves out, if there will be passing busses and such.
The fan can be damaged and chew into the radiator if it gets submerged, the blades will pull forwards.
Otherwise it may be the electrics that limit wading depth. There are sensors located low on modern cars.
The best bet may be to copy others let them go first, see that they exit safely before you try, and have your recovery ropes already attached so the car won't be submerged for too long incase you can't continue.
Any wading may require a workshop visit later on to fix something.
In my own car I'd draw the line around 4 inches on a clean asfalt road, double that in a rental car.
Great advice. Thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep definitely not risking flowing water. Problem has to do with roads where water is at kerb height or slightly higher.

Land Cruiser wading depth as advertised is about 70cm, Ford Ranger etc. at 80cm. Couldn't find anything on the Carnival because it's obviously not meant for the dance kind of duty. Thought some forum member may have been courageous and got some anecdotal advice.

Thanks for the time you took.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts