Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sportage 2012, 2L, vibrates when the speed reaches 80km/h and it goes away after reaching 90km/h. I have spent more on removing this fault by changing front shock absorbers, fixed steering rod ends, balancing and alignment of wheels, center mount. Please suggest if there is something I have missed.

·
Registered
892 Posts
tyres and wheels.
Are the wheels actually round?
did you see them on the balancing machine yourself?
they can be balanced but deformed.
Tyres can also become out of round, usually by being parked up for a while with a heavy car on them.

Try a test run with another set of wheels.
Another thing is the center hole diameter, is this correct for your vehicle or do you have spacer rings?
If spacer rings are in use then perhaps the tolerances are too great. Use of spacer rings requires very precise placement of the wheel on the hub and torqueing of the bolts in stages, rotating the wheel 180 deg after the first bolt is just holding.
No tyre shop pnumatic tool.

Are the wheel bolts torqued correctly with a torque tool?
Others have reported that new brake disks have fixed the issue.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
tyres and wheels.
Tyres can also become out of round, usually by being parked up for a while with a heavy car on them.

Another thing is the center hole diameter, is this correct for your vehicle or do you have spacer rings?
If spacer rings are in use then perhaps the tolerances are too great. Use of spacer rings requires very precise placement of the wheel on the hub and torqueing of the bolts in stages, rotating the wheel 180 deg after the first bolt is just holding.

I had just this problem on my Niro last year. Turned out it was a thing called "tyre stepping". It is usually caused by having to frequently use roads with so-called speed cushions along them (those square bits of blacktop that look innocuous but which aren't!). Like most people, I used to straddle them. This distorts the inner edges of the tyres excessively and eventually causes feathering of the tread blocks and this causes (in my case) vibrations at particular speeds. No amount of balancing will cure this. The only cure is tyre replacement and geometry checking, followed by driving OVER the cushions slowly, which is what they are there to encourage in the first place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tyres and wheels.

Thanks for your valuable information. At first, I will go for trying a test with another set of wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had just this problem on my Niro last year. Turned out it was a thing called "tyre stepping". It is usually caused by having to frequently use roads with so-called speed cushions along them (those square bits of blacktop that look innocuous but which aren't!). Like most people, I used to straddle them. This distorts the inner edges of the tyres excessively and eventually causes feathering of the tread blocks and this causes (in my case) vibrations at particular speeds. No amount of balancing will cure this. The only cure is tyre replacement and geometry checking, followed by driving OVER the cushions slowly, which is what they are there to encourage in the first place.
Thanks for your valuable information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts