Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

My 2012 KX3 2.0 CRDI AWD Auto has two issues I need to pick someone's brains about.

The first is a slight vibration (rather like a "thrum") at exactly 35mph and again when accelerating firmly at around 60mph.
At all other speeds it's ok.

the second is when I reverse on full lock - left or right - it feels like it's "scrabbling" like a Land Rover Defender being driven on a dry road with all diff-locks engaged.

Any ideas?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have the same issue at 60mph did you manage to find it out mine is manual though like a pulsating vibration

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thrum: all terrain tyre tread pattern
scrubbing: maybe it is scrubbing because of LSD diffs, or center diff, same as the land rover

try on ice to compare, should be less noticeable if that is the cause

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Sportage has no LSD nor a centre diff nor diff locks.

The "diff locks engaged" issue sounds like it could be inappropriate engagement of AWD. Check tyre pressures all round and if there is tyre wear then the tyres with the best tread should be on the fronts.

Thrum could be wheel balance?

·
Registered
892 Posts
when I reverse on full lock - left or right - it feels like it's "scrabbling" like a Land Rover... with all diff-locks engaged.
In that case, this may just be normal scrubbing caused by the wide tyre being at an acute angle. All cars will have a fair bit of scrub at full lock. Some more than others.
How does the tyre wear look? more wear on one side or an uneven appearance could indicate an issue, A busy tyre shop should be able to advise fro free.

Try and avoid driving with full steering lock, plan your turning/ manouvering where you can to avoid small radius turns, use more of the available space for a wide turn. The tyres, steering column joints, CV joints, CV joint rubber boots, and maybe some other parts will last longer. Tho this is mainly a concern for folk with no guaranty and older vehicles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts