Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody experienced the following electrical fault on a 2013 Sportage.

Sit in neutral, handbrake applied. Steering wheel volume control, mute etc works fine. Pull away and the left hand steering wheel controls stop working. Stop again, into neutral with handbrake on the controls burst into life again. So through a process of elimination the controls only fail when the handbrake is applied. I noticed also (which may be a coincidence) my 12V ports have stopped working, I've also noticed that when stopping and pulling on the handbrake my Bluetooth connected phone tries to dial the last number I called.

Checked fuses, disconnected negative battery for 5 mins all to no avail - can anybody shed any light on this please.

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
217 Posts
See if you have a corroded earth that is common to those circuits. A poor connection or earth and the current will try to find the easiest way to earth (sometimes via another circuit).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hiya, thanks for the advice - a trawl through the internet led me to the following which helped a lot.

So my first update on this sorry saga.

I have managed to fix the 12v outlet issue - it turns out that of the 6 spare fuses in the Engine bay fuse box 2 of the 15 amp were defective, a previous owner must have placed them back in their housing rather than replacing them - for now I have a 20 amp in place. A quick continuity test proved this quickly.

Now all I have to fix is the no steering wheel volume control when driving to resolve - this one is quite odd, I suspect the L/H Steering controls may have an open circuit but can't be sure until it's removed. To do this I have to remove the airbag cartridge - not something I am looking forward to, however there's a lot of common sense advise on this forum so something I'll try at the weekend.

Or I'll just have to live with it and lean over and turn things up/down manually.

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
217 Posts
Now all I have to fix is the no steering wheel volume control when driving to resolve - this one is quite odd, I suspect the L/H Steering controls may have an open circuit but can't be sure until it's removed. To do this I have to remove the airbag cartridge - not something I am looking forward to, however there's a lot of common sense advise on this forum so something I'll try at the weekend.

Or I'll just have to live with it and lean over and turn things up/down manually.
Try a couple of squirts of contact cleaner around the edges of the switch, then a good jiggle back and forth, and then leave overnight to dry out. (No dismantling necessary if it works) I used this method on my non-working cruise control switches to good effect recently.contact cleaner ( try get one with a straw spray attachment if you can.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try a couple of squirts of contact cleaner around the edges of the switch, then a good jiggle back and forth, and then leave overnight to dry out. (No dismantling necessary if it works) I used this method on my non-working cruise control switches to good effect recently.contact cleaner ( try get one with a straw spray attachment if you can.)
Thanks, now why didn't I think of that - I have a new tin of contact cleaner from Halfords so I'll give it a go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you have any pals with a Scan tool?
I bought a £300 one from Autel and it's more than paid for itself.
It will show you in real-time what buttons are pressed and released, and which relays are commanded on and off.
It saved me £££ by showing that the only problem with my Cruise control and gear display on a 2014 Sportage was a dodgy neutral-position switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts