Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I had to do a lot of driving during the hottest part of the day and two things stick out as 'must-haves' for the future if I should ever change cars again.

The first is ventilated seats and they really do work well!

The second is the ability to sit at a table in the garden of a large country estate and point the fob in the general direction of my car 30 yards away and hold the button, allowing all the windows to open fully. With the car always in sight, I was able to give it 5 minutes before wandering over to the car with the interior cooled considerably, after 4+ hours in the sun.

These are the toys that make modern car ownership far more pleasant, both in winter and summer, than cars from the 20th century and render irrelevant all the nonsense about 0-60 times, top speed, in-gear acceleration, understeer/oversteer, on-the-limit handling and all the other guff that motoring media hacks deem important, (on our behalf, of course!):haha: Such measures are only relevant on race tracks. I can happily live with distinctly average performance while enjoying the kind of fuel economy that could only have been dreamed about, without massively polluting the atmosphere, in a large, roomy car 30 or 40 years ago.

For those whose present car model does not include these features, I thoroughly recommend adding them to any shortlist of must-haves before shopping for your next daily transport.

The only features from a previous car that I still miss with my current choice are the Webasto pre-heater which I found awesome in the coldest, winter months and the TV with teletext. Those still feature, usually as an option, on some expensive cars today. Other gizmos and gadgets make up for that loss though to some extent.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Today, I decided to take my wife out for a ride, mainly to benefit from the a/c, given the 30C + and high humidity, notwithstanding the difficulty she now has getting in and out of the car.
Like you Indalo I started off by using the remote to open all the windows first for a few minutes. I then relocked the doors, and discovered a few minutes later that there was enough breeze to set off the alarm. At least now I know what it sounds like!
I last had a car without a/c sometime in the 90s, and I think the Optima has the best I can remember - it’s blowing cold air before I’ve backed off the drive. I’ve had others that have taken a mile or so to become anywhere near effective!
The cooling system to the front seats is also quite effective - sticking to the seats is now a thing of the past.
(A far cry from my early trips to India in the late 70s, when car a/c was pretty much unheard of, and ambient conditions like today’s were pretty much average).
It also gave me an opportunity to check out the TA function from the latest upgrade in a little more detail. Certainly, while playing media I got several TA interruptions, but none while listening to DAB stations. And strangely, when I switched to manual FM tuning, the TA symbol on the top line (next to TMC) went off.
The drive to Teggs Nose Country park and return was very comfortable, and much more pleasant than sitting in our (non a/c) house or even out in the garden.
I suppose the down side is that I have just made a further (unnecessary?) contribution to global warming. Can’t have everything, I suppose.........

·
Registered
290 Posts
Those ventilated seats are just fantastic!!

Thought it was a fad when the salesman demonstrated them, but hey, I wouldn't be without them now.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose the down side is that I have just made a further (unnecessary?) contribution to global warming. Can’t have everything, I suppose.........
I think you can be forgiven for that 'Colr' as it was a solid 38ºC round these parts most of the afternoon and I too was grateful for the global window opening once again today. The Climate Control did a good job though I have always thought that the Hyundai i40 installation was better and more intuitive to use….not that the Optima's arrangement is difficult.

It was easy to spend over 3 hours in Costco, nicely air-conditioned, but on returning to the car, I had to do the window thing again and set the C/C to auto before getting back in.

The Optima is a very pleasant environment and the ventilated seats are icing on the cake for me.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It also gave me an opportunity to check out the TA function from the latest upgrade in a little more detail. Certainly, while playing media I got several TA interruptions, but none while listening to DAB stations.
That seems very odd to me 'Colr'. Out and about today, I had a TA interrupt BBC R2 Dab so I don't understand why that isn't happening for you. As I said previously, my radio favourites list is comprised of DAB stations as I spent some time sorting that list when I first got the car.

I know from recent experience that TAs interrupt my media music too. I don't quite understand why that happens but I just put it down to clever stuff beyond my ken.:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts