Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto Express seems to have switched allegiance from the Venga to the iX20, saying the interior is better and the ride has been adjusted for UK roads.Does anybody know if it would it be possible to have my Venga "re" tweaked with the ix20 settings, or do the two companies keep to themselves (even though the Venga is built at the Hyundai factory)
Do they use different parts for the variation (springs and dampers)?
I wonder if the Venga gets built by moonlighting Kia workers from their nearby factory working an extra night shift when the Hyundai team has gone home

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Probably just means that Hyundai have taken out more advertising with Auto Express or are offering them more perks.

Alternatively since the ix20 is a more recent introduction they have probably ironed out the criticisms made by owners/dealers/press about the Venga.

Would cost loads of money to have the interior upgraded and suspension changed. Would suggest you try a ix20 and make your own decision, don't believe all you read.

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have Venga and I have drove ix20 and in my opinion both suspensions are same.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had a Venga 3 1.4 petrol since March.
The suspension seems very hard, it's like the tyres are solid ones before they invented inflatables ones!
I feel every little bump in the road, also when there is an uneven bit of road I feel like I'm nearly
jolted out of my seat and feel like i'm going to lose control of the car.
Anyone have any suggestions to improve suspension?

Edited by: stevec1

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi stevec1, thanks for letting us know about the venga 3 s suspension, i have a diesel '3' and am experiencing the same sort of ride, my dealership puts this down to the glass roof, and the increased amount of body flex there is compared to the solid roof models. i agree with him on the bodyflex, but what i think we are on about is the hard crashy ride, compared to a '2' i drove a while back.
As i said the '2' s wheels went up and down on the bumps where as with my '3' it feels like the body is going up and down!

Also resulting in a lot of suspension noise and cabin rattle.

James.

·
Registered
3 Posts
>>As i said the '2' s wheels went up and down on the bumps where as with my '3' it feels like the >>body is going up and down!

Hi James, yes that's exactly it, good description.
I contacted Kia customer services in July saying that there was no 'give' in the suspension resulting in a very uncomfortable ride for passengers and driver. They said to get a dealer to check the suspension settings. I haven't got time to do that yet though.
I've since noticed that it seems to be worse when sitting in the back seat.
It's interesting you didn't notice it in a '2'. We test drove a '2' and don't remember it being like this, but I suppose it depends on the roads.
I agree about the cabin rattle as well.
I will contact the dealer as soon as I can.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would think the suspension on most new cars would be a little 'hard' to start with until the springs start to soften up a bit with use. My Venga is the same at the moment but I think its centre of gravity is probably a little higher than most due to its design as well, so will never be a sports car in the corners. Probably feels a bit skittishon corneringif its anything like mine.

John

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have just been reading about the Venga suspension and can agree with all the comments about the hard ride. I was also wonderingwhetherany one else has anoisysuspension. If the car is driven over patches of broken tarmac- not large pot holes- the suspension makes a sort of rattle which can be felt through the floor.This has been looked at by a Kia dealer and nothing found to indicate a problem. However I am not convinced that all is well and before taking it back to the dealer again I would like to know if this is something that other owners areexperiencing.
My car is a 10 plate Venga 2 eco with 22000 on the clock.
I have a lot of other issues with this car which I am slowly working through- next week the dealer is to replace the THIRD door actuator on the front passenger door-and it does seem to me that KIA is using the owners to flag up problems that should have been resolved when the car was developed.
Well done to everyone on this forum in keeping us all up to date.

·
Registered
8 Posts
stevec1 said:
I have had a Venga 3 1.4 petrol since March.
The suspension seems very hard, it's like the tyres are solid ones before they invented inflatables ones!
I feel every little bump in the road, also when there is an uneven bit of road I feel like I'm nearly
jolted out of my seat and feel like i'm going to lose control of the car.
Anyone have any suggestions to improve suspension?

I totally agree with you. I have the second trim level (they are called differently here) and the suspension feels very stiff in every bump of the road. Moreover, it is quite noisy....

·
Registered
139 Posts
reading about suspension faults my venga 2 auto is the same tends to hop a bit , on bends can be a dodgy if the surface is uneven , elite direct do spring which they gives a better ride,but no shocks i know the tires are loish profile on 16 inch rims on the venga 3 i think they 17 inch rims with a lower profile , i am thinking of getting new rims and a more softer tire but other than that great little car

·
Registered
536 Posts
Eco tires usually are as there harder by nature to try maintain a more even tire pressure...a high tire pressure by the feels of most. Can't say I've used them but are they loud aswell? Almost run flat kind of loud?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a newix-20 and test drove a Soul, Venga and Nissan Jukebefore deciding which to buy out of the 4. The ix-20's suspension is vastly better than the Venga. Suspension was one thing I was specifically looking at, as my previous car (Honda Jazz) was positively painful over lumps and bumps and potholes....and even concrete roads! So I don't think it has much to do with which magazine gave out the best lunch deals :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
it's been a while, so though it was time for an update.
we still have the venga. the dealer couldn't find anything wrong ( a couple of years ago ).
however, after more use the suspension definitely softened after it was a couple of years old.
also we now have a set of new tyres and that also made the ride is smoother and quieter.
so, i think the original low rolling tyres are partly to blame.
also, we had the tracking checked at the independent tyre place and they found that on one side the tracking was off their scale.
we were also getting problems with the steering/car kicking to the side
going over holes in the road and that problem has gone as well now.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Having previously had a Xantia with hydra/gas suspension I was spoilt, but the Ceed had rock hard suspension and low profile tyres (40s) By comparison the Venga 3 is a lot softer than the Ceed having 55 profile tyres (ie taller sidewalls with more give/flex in them).
The Venga is also very much quieter than the Ceed, luckily I am deaf or the Ceed would have been unbearable on the motorway.
But the Venga could still do with quietening, I am thinking of adding some sound deadening material to the floor under the carpet. The noise level from the road is a function of lots of things, dampers, spring rates, joints, bushes, thickness of components and their resonant frequencies, similarly panel sizes and shapes. I read somewhere that the Venga suspension was tuned by Lotus, thus even for a tall car the handing should be ok, but I am 68 now so tyre life and stopping distance is more important.

·
Registered
185 Posts
rpaco

Having changed from a diesel Sorento 59 plate auto to a Venga 2, 1.6 auto petrol I sometimes wonder whether I have actually switched the thing on!!!! So quiet compared to the Sorento.

David

PS also had a Xantia some years ago, the suspension was great for towingEdited by: klyne

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Strange how we can all find different results. After I bought my Venga, I did test drive a Hyundai, and found the suspension felt softer. The Hyundai had done quite a few miles, being also a salesman's runabout, so i guessed it had bedded in. My Venga is now 2 years old, but only 10.5K mies, and still feels like it runs on rails, with a "sporty" suspension, which I find preferabe to a soft ride. Does not crash and bang, but is firm.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts