Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please help. Having recently purchased a Joi 360TT child seat for our grand daughter we are having major issues with getting the seat isofix system to engage. The Isofix bars are tucked in deep at the point of hinge on the rear seat and there's a metal bar, which forms part of the seat construction that sits in the way. I believe it to be an issue with the design of the rear seat as this should be a simple in-out process. The seat comes with two black plastic 'tunnels' that are supposed to engage on the isofix bars to make insertion a simple affair. It is impossible to actually get these installed which then makes fitting the seat without these an even bigger challenge.

Hoping that someone else may have encountered this and knows the way forward.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have a Joie ISOFIX base for our i-level seat and it fits fine in my Venga, the catches locate easy enough onto the ISOFIX bars. I recline the rear seat as much as possible and put the base in at about 45 degrees which makes it easier to get the base to lock in, but more than possible.

It is good practice when buying car seat/base to check compatibility by physically putting the seat in the car - Mothercare insisted on this when we bought our base/seat. I did check on the Joie website and it does say it is compatible with the Venga so perhaps see if whoever sold you the seat can fit it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Two points:
1 The rear seat squab slides forward about four inches (100mm) which slightly opens the rear seat back/squab angle of incidence. This may allow you to get better access. The release lever is somewhere under the front edge of the seat.
2 The lower ISO attachment points are two metal loops of rod approx 1/8"(3mm) dia these are formed into square loops approx an inch (25mm) wide, on to which the child seat is supposed to clip to form the bottom fixing. However since they are in the area which is sat upon they need to be buried back where they will not harm any adult sitting in the rear seat.

I use the ISO fixing points with some 1" "hold down" straps to secure our cat baskets on the rear seat for visits to the vets and and so am familiar with the difficulty of access. However in your case a good shove should allow the sear to engage and clip on. The top fixings are immediately behind the seat under two plastic cover plates which hinge up to give access.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have a Joie ISOFIX base for our i-level seat and it fits fine in my Venga, the catches locate easy enough onto the ISOFIX bars. I recline the rear seat as much as possible and put the base in at about 45 degrees which makes it easier to get the base to lock in, but more than possible.

It is good practice when buying car seat/base to check compatibility by physically putting the seat in the car - Mothercare insisted on this when we bought our base/seat. I did check on the Joie website and it does say it is compatible with the Venga so perhaps see if whoever sold you the seat can fit it.
Hi and thanks for your response.
Prior to purchasing the seat we did all the research to confirm compatibility. Our daughter has a Sportage with the exact same seat and it fits easily.
After purchase we couldn't get it to fit so took it back to Halfords who supplied it. It took two of their 'technicians' around half an hour to get it fitted along with a lot of cursing and dismissing of the car!
It has remained in place for last 3mths but had to remove for car valet to clean.
We genuinely believe it to be a design fault with the lower part of the seat. Considering getting a mallet and lump of wood to 'adjust' the seat but this can't be right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two points:
1 The rear seat squab slides forward about four inches (100mm) which slightly opens the rear seat back/squab angle of incidence. This may allow you to get better access. The release lever is somewhere under the front edge of the seat.
2 The lower ISO attachment points are two metal loops of rod approx 1/8"(3mm) dia these are formed into square loops approx an inch (25mm) wide, on to which the child seat is supposed to clip to form the bottom fixing. However since they are in the area which is sat upon they need to be buried back where they will not harm any adult sitting in the rear seat.

I use the ISO fixing points with some 1" "hold down" straps to secure our cat baskets on the rear seat for visits to the vets and and so am familiar with the difficulty of access. However in your case a good shove should allow the sear to engage and clip on. The top fixings are immediately behind the seat under two plastic cover plates which hinge up to give access.
Thank you for your response. and yes I am fully familiar in what the iso fixing bars are and how they work, had this on other cars with no such issues. However the rear seat(s) slide forward in their entirety, by that I mean the upright (squab?) stays attached so this makes no difference. By tilting the seat forward it opens slightly the gap between horizontal and vertical but it's of no benefit.

The idea of a good shove to insert the seat may be the answer however when trying to do this the fixings on the seat retract on a ratchet system so not allowing you to exert any linear forward force on them.

Really frustrating as this was a 'top of the range seat' costing several hundreds £'s. Genuinely believe it is however a problem with the Kia seat. Going back to Kia dealer tomorrow for their input.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
The squab is the cushion you sit on. Dunno the venga but they usually lift up at the front (held down by a plastic spring clip - it takes a hefty sharp heave to free them). and then you can disconect the wiring and lift it out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi and thanks for your response.
Prior to purchasing the seat we did all the research to confirm compatibility. Our daughter has a Sportage with the exact same seat and it fits easily.
After purchase we couldn't get it to fit so took it back to Halfords who supplied it. It took two of their 'technicians' around half an hour to get it fitted along with a lot of cursing and dismissing of the car!
It has remained in place for last 3mths but had to remove for car valet to clean.
We genuinely believe it to be a design fault with the lower part of the seat. Considering getting a mallet and lump of wood to 'adjust' the seat but this can't be right.
I wouldn't say it is a fault with the car but whoever it was at Joie that decided it was compatible may have been optimistic, although if Halfords did manage to successfully fit it, it may be there is a knack to doing it - if it was possible once it should be possible a second time.

I just had to refit my ISOFIX base in my car and I can feel a metal bar directly below the ISOFIX point in the seat squab, but it doesn't prevent fitment on my car and as far as I am aware, ISOFIX has universal mounts so those on your seat should be the same as on mine.

I have occasionally had trouble getting the base to 'go green' when mounting it but that was due to the base catches being stiff and had the same issue in my wife's car which has very accessible ISOFIX points. Have you tried your base in another car to rule out an issue with the base or tried a different base in your car? Worth giving it a go if you haven't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts