Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did they go for a 1.4 diesel in the Venga. What was wrong with putting either the 1.5 CRDI or the 1.6 CRDI in it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
You can have the lovely 1.6 diesel elsewhere, purely a uk marketing decision to stick with the utter garbage engine of the 1.4...........

·
Registered
80 Posts
No sh#t taking here.
I love the gorgeous Venga, but I want a 1.6 diesel auto otherwise I will keep my Ceed SW 1.6 diesel auto or look elsewhere. No point changing to some thing less economical or less relaxing.

Kia is getting very expensive now that we have pioneered their recent vehicles for them. If I were to swop my sw with todays equivalent it would cost me over £3000 more than I paid 2 years ago.

Rather a large increase in my opinion.
Edited by: lovemysportywagon

·
Registered
139 Posts
the new soul has a new 1.6 diesel with 6 speed auto might go for that next unless they put it the next update of the venga which is a blinding little car

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes the 1.4crdi unit is turning out to be a right pain in the proverbial. Though when it does decide to run ok it seems powerful enough for the car. It does sound quite agricultural for a modern diesel as well, though this might be down to a lack of sound proofing on the venga.

John

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe I am just lucky but I have to comment on this. My Venga is a fine car with, in my opinion, a good engine. It always makes me smile the way it tugs its way up the hills round hereand i think it is more than powerfull enough for the size of car it is in. My experience with diesels is 2 x Audi A4 1.9 tdi's and a 2.2 honda civic. They allsounded agricultural when cold, the Audis were no less noisy than the Venga and the the Honda was a lot less lively than the Venga and more noisy. These were/are all "modern" engines.Diesels have been around as long as petrol engines (possibly longer) and what makes them "modern" is the common rail system which has been around for more than 10 years. Diesels are Diesels no matter what the capacity of the engine. The 1.4 unit in the venga is no different to any other oil burning engine.
Just my thoughts.

Timpernx.

P.S. Whilst writing this I have been listening to Lou Reed and Metallica playing together on later with Jools Holland -What a combination, how much better can you get than that!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi Guys, i agree with you,s about the Venga s 1.4 diesel,mine goes well...when its going well,but suffers from 'The Issue'!!!, and agree ,it does sound a bit more gruff than my dads ceed 1.6crdi did.
The 1.6 pulls smoother,and quieter than the 1.4, so i hope kia put it in the venga one day!,if it will fit in??

Kia are beginning to take the p*** with their pricing now,and yes they are going to extra lengths to prove themselves worthy in the car market,but they are still branded as a 'cheap korean ' manufacturer,which they need to try and shake off in other ways than hike up prices.

I cant help feeling that we also pay for the 7 year warranty the minute we sign on the dotted line!

For example,the venga being priced over the equivilant rivals in the same class.

I also really hope that the venga s build quality improves now that Kia slovakia are building it,as i am not impressed by Hyundai s efforts on my car, in 7000 miles, it has been recovered by breakdown lorry back to the dealer 6 times,and had a new steering column,steering wheel, and severlal nuts and bolts tightened.The quality is way behind that of the ceed.

James.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sorry but no... My proceed 4 was on my drive for LESS than £16k... The same spec focus, void of 7yr warranty, reversing camera, heated seats and electric fold in mirrors was £22k. Yes it was a 2ltr diesel that came with an "active grill" that decreases fuel consumption by 0.5mpg (even tho base economy is still worse than the 1.6 Kia) but it came with the added bonus of £185 per year road tax. Quality was negligible between the two. They maybe COSTING more but compared to other manufactures they are incredible VALUE...

Edit: my opinion based on the pro-ceed obviously but I looked around the venga and think its a gorgeous little car...miles ahead of any fiat or Peugeot. But you guys are the owners so you know more than me. Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
660 Posts
I was talking purely about he Venga pricing versus quality,the ceed s quality is far higher in my opinion,therefor worth the money. the current venga is built in hyundai s czeck rep factory,and you can tell my the materials used,and finish.
James.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think it's a valid point about the pricing,my 2010 Rio was about £4000 less than the latest Rio. It's got a few more toys, but has a less powerful engine and a few other things I'm not happy about. I think Kia should have concentrated on making good quality cheap cars, not try and move up market before they are ready. They're probably crapping themselves at the moment over what the Chinese are going to do. If they start dumping cars on the European market, makes like Kia will be doomed unless they have moved up market in time.
Going back to the original thread, I don't know why they didn't use the Rio 1.5 CRDi power unit in the Venga, it's an excellent little engine. I've drivena 1.4 CRDi engined Venga and it pulls ok, but you notice the lack of power compared to the Rio.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi M4trundler,
The Venga 1.4 shares the same bhp as the Ceed s 89bhp 1.6 crdi, and is only slightly down on torque,but yes for the same bhp,there is a considerable less amount of oomph in the venga,but its still good in my opinion,im just looking forward to driving one that has nt got this flatspot issue!

James.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sorry I read back your comment after and realised what your gripe was. I sort of see your point. But sooner or later Kia as a company have to integrate into what people see as a good quality, reliable brand? Judging from my proceed 4 they are NEARLY there.. Just being cheap wont cut it. Example....
Bill " what you driving nowadays bob"?
Bob "Kia venga my friend"
Bill " if that's all you can afford mate"

Kia would sooner hear...

Bill "what you driving nowadays bob"
Bob " Kia venga my friend"
Bill " oh wow there really nice, seen a lot of them about. Must be good quality cars"

When the Chinese $hit boxes hit European roads, with there monkey metal engines, people perceptions will be that there is a big step in quality between a Kia and Chinese car...yet not a massive difference in price. Kia will be branded in people's mind along with fords, VW's and vauxhalls but cheaper, and the chinky tin cans will be perceived as the lada's and skoda's of years gone by. Personally I think there a step ahead. If the venga is a step backwards then it's sad because its a funky looking car. But I think its more down to the gearboxes being having high ratios to achieve better MPG as the sacrifice of drivability.Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think the risk for Kia is if they try to run before they can walk and add lots of toys that then go wrong and at the same time put up prices, they will get a bad reputation. I think they should keep it simple, get a good rep for reliability, then move up slowly. There's still the perceptionby peoplethat Kia make cheap crap cars. That has to be overcome before Kia can charge more. The first generation of Chinese cars may be crap, but they will catch up fast.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One has to remember that they are part of the Hyundai group and they have had cars out for a while. My daughters got a 2001 Hyundai Coupe 2.0 litre and I think its a well built car with a bullet proof engine. Loads of goodies on boardand good value.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Venga 1.4crdi and to date I am VERY pleased. Possibly the best car I have ever had. I am curious why Kia chose to fit the 1.4 diesel for the UK. Could it be they think we want economy at all costs due to UK fuel prices? Just out of curiosity I looked at the Kia.ch, the Swiss site. The model range for Switzerland is completely different and does not include the 1.4 diesel, they have the 1.6 diesel. Could Kia be trying too hard to tailor models to market?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I did think it as all to do ith emmissions,bt all the engines meet euro 5,and now they ve gone and relaunched the venga 3 with the 1.6crdi producing 114bhp,but are keeping the 1.4crdi in the venga 1s and 2s. confusing. and ccording to the spec sheet for the venga my12- the 1.6crdi is producing less co2 than the 1.4crdi....James.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi just taken delivery of my replacement venga my12 with the 1.6 crdi engine in it,and my word what a difference in the car, this thing will go almost anywhere in 6th without too much complaining and without being silly with it either,it has torque,slightly closer gearing i think, and smoothness hurrah.James.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts