Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As reported in an earlier thread I have been having problems with my 66 plate Venga 1.6 petrol automatic battery. Charging the old one seemed not to make much difference. Obviously in current circumstances we are not using the car on a daily basis. Having tried my best with the recharging I decided to buy a new battery. My choice was the Yuasa YBX 3108. It arrived today from Tayna Batteries. It was well packed and the actual battery was in one of those vacuum bags you use for bedding! It did mean it could be sent via normal carrier rather than as on supplier wanted to do and send it on a Pallet at a cost of £64 plus the cost of the battery!!!

Removing the old battery is a bit of a pain. First job is to remove the battery connections which is the easiest part of the job. Immediately behind the battery is some electrical gubbins which seems to be attached to the battery clamp and there is an addition metal strap at the top which also has to be removed. The actual clamp is held in place with two bolts, which are fairly close together, perhap 5cms. You should be able to now remove the battery cover, not quite sure what that is for? Once the three bolts are removed you can jiggle the battery out of the front ridge but before you can lift it clear you have to unclip the airfilter housing and put that to one side. By the time you come to fit the new battery your expertise is on a high!!! I found it best to attach the metal strap at the top first and then fit the two battery clamp bolts. Refitting the terminals is just a reversal of removal although don't forget to fit the positive first and then the earth. You will have to reset time and date and any trip computer will go back to zero buy the ode metre retains the miles the car has done.

I hope that might help someone who is concerned about fitting a new battery.

David

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I hope that might help someone who is concerned about fitting a new battery.
Oh, the joys of DIY!;)

That is exactly the kind of information which is the life blood of car forums and in this case, may give confidence to other Venga owners to tackle the job themselves rather than pay a garage, Halfraud’s or the like to perform the relatively simple task.

Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
thanks i have same car auto jan 17 model hope my battery lasts a bit longer than yours .

·
Registered
245 Posts
Rather coincidentally my battery let me down today in my Venga 2012 Auto
Battery is 5 years old from its date stamp and we do mainly short runs so not overly surprised although somewhat inconvenient as shopping in Costco at the time (ie: a fair bit of frozen stuff needing to get home).
Green Flag came out and gave me a boost to get it going again and checked the alternator is good. He suspected starter motor at first as he says they are fairly weak on Venga's, but with it being an auto he said maybe they are different / more robust than manual cars.
Got a Exide EB620 on order from Eurocarparts. I checked it was the correct fitment and even got someone in customer services to confirm so I'm hopeful it will be correct. It has a few more CCA (540 to my current 410) and a 3 year warranty and came in at just under £80 delivered with a discount code.

I'll certainly be referencing this remove / replace guide so thanks Klyne

However after my car was started by Green Flag guy I have found my ESP light (ie: not the one that says off underneath the squiggly lines - ESC light) is on permanently.
Anyone got a theory as to what might have caused this? I will say the Green Flag guy did connect boost cables to positive and an engine mount rather than positive and negative terminals which I believe is the correct way to do things.

Interestingly the Green Flag guy used boost cables from his truck as he said his jump pack was already flat that day as battery issues are very common at present.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Had the ESC light come up on mine a few months back I think it was..and found that the problem can relate to the brake switch and a recall on many Kia's..finding that I gave the switch a wiggle and the light went out and has not returned..fingers crossed 🤞 also check this out..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just an extra question Klyne - did you need to re-enter any radio code?
I have no issue losing mpg figures etc but radio lost would be most inconvenient as I'm a key worker and do rely on traffic news (although admittedly at present traffic is light)
Normally wouldn't be an issue as my local car radio place could re-code for me but obviously everywhere is shut at present so getting a re-code done would be difficult.
I don't have a code card with handbook and the place we got it from said it is mated to the car VIN at build time so shouldn't be needed even after battery change.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Prolly has no radio code. I have never seen a built in type radio with a code - they are much more difficult to steal and can usually only be fitted to the same model of car so they are no longer a target for scrotes. Presume that your radio is working and because it has already lost power I doubt that it has a code.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an extra question Klyne - did you need to re-enter any radio code?
I have no issue losing mpg figures etc but radio lost would be most inconvenient as I'm a key worker and do rely on traffic news (although admittedly at present traffic is light)
Normally wouldn't be an issue as my local car radio place could re-code for me but obviously everywhere is shut at present so getting a re-code done would be difficult.
I don't have a code card with handbook and the place we got it from said it is mated to the car VIN at build time so shouldn't be needed even after battery change.
Hi

No issue with the radio or the sat nav which I initially forgot to check! It was really only the date and time that needed to be reset plus whether you want temperature in C or F and Miles of Km. It's a bit of a bugger getting it out but easier getting it back in. Hope it goes OK when you come to fit yours.

David

·
Registered
245 Posts
David
Did yours have a plastic cover over the +ve terminal?
If so did that need to come off before the clamp or did loosening the clamp bolt allow it all to come off (ie: wires and cover).
Mine has a plastic cover and seems to have no visible means of unclipping from around the post so I'm wondering if it is a slide on thing they do at factory before sticking the battery clamp on.
Pete.

·
Registered
61 Posts
David
Did yours have a plastic cover over the +ve terminal?
If so did that need to come off before the clamp or did loosening the clamp bolt allow it all to come off (ie: wires and cover).
Mine has a plastic cover and seems to have no visible means of unclipping from around the post so I'm wondering if it is a slide on thing they do at factory before sticking the battery clamp on.
Pete.
the red plastic cover comes off with the lead .the radio has not got a code. use a mirror to see the rear fixing bolts .it is an easy job when your take you time

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pete

You mean the little snap up cover? As Jimsaab says its all part of the assembly. You flip it up and untighten the nut nearest the terminal and the whole thing lifts off.

David

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ok Folks
So battery changed today and taken on board the suggestions I thought it might be useful to do a how to with pictures so here goes. Mine is a Generation 1 Venga but I believe the gen 2 battery gubbins is essentially the same:-

Step 1:-
You will need a size 10mm and size 12mm spanner and a mirror will help but isn't essential.

Step 2:-
Turn off things like radio / blower etc - this softens the reconnect spike.Also note radio stations just in case the radio doesn't remember.

Step 3:-
Open bonnet and it should look something like this

Step 4:-
Remove air cleaner box (the screw clip is a 10mm or you can use a screwdriver if you have the right size). The clips on the right hand side are spring clips and should just move away if you lift the curved bit. It will look like this when done.

Step 5:-
IMPORTANT - Remove negative lead first

Step 6:-
..and then positive lead(as indicated earlier in forum, the plastic shroud bit lifts away with the wires)

Step 7:-
Remove the upper right bracket bolt (be careful not to damage the battery sensor lead - green on my car)

Step 8:-
Then also remove the two bolts that are behind the bracket at the rear of the battery. You'll have to feel for these and using a mirror can help. This is a bit fiddly to explain but makes sense when you see it physically.
Once you have done this the battery will wiggle out. The front of the battery platform has a sort of retaining lip so you have to push the battery back a little way before lifting out.

The green circles are where the bolts are (really, it does make sense when you see it)
Do be careful here as that bracket holds the car's main ECU and there are 2 wiring looms that clip in ie: don't force things as you could cause ECU damage.

Step 9:-
Insert your new battery. I have used an Exide EB620 which is higher rated than the previous battery. Original Kia batteries on Venga gen 1 seem to be badged Solite.
NOTE - if you a have a stop /start (ISG) car you MUST replace with AGM type

Now we basically put everything back together again ie: as Haynes manuals say, assembly is the reverse of removal

Step 10:-
Attach the top right bracket bolt first as it helps locate the bracket. Then the two bolts that you can't see at the back of the bracket. Some "wiggling" will almost certainly be required

Step 11:-
Now Attach positive wire first and then negative wire
Depending what battery you have used the sensor wire may now be tight (due to negative post position) . You may have to adjust the plastic holding clip to relieve tension on this wire.

Step 12:-
Put the airbox back on and tighten the screw clip. Don't forget the spring clips on the right hand side

Step 13:-
Turn ignition on and start car. If you have the ESC light on, turn the steering wheel all the way left and then all the way right and then back to centre and then turn the car off.
When you restart the car, the light should have cleared (as in the earlier video uploaded by Phil in Wales)

Finally you may need to:-
Enter radio stations if needed( I didn't have to, so I assume there is some sort of capacitor or battery in the audio unit that holds settings for a short period of time)
Set clock
Set Temperature gauge units ie: Centigrade or Fahrenheit
Set miles or kilometres for the MPG'ometer functions
All above are in user handbook if you don't know how

If you have a sunroof / panoramic roof, the handbook says you need to go through a reset procedure. I found this wasn't necessary but if you find your sunroof is being weird, maybe check this item in handbook

I have a non stop start car (gen 1 - Auto) so the battery sensor on mine "just works". The handbook indicates if you have an AGM battery you need to let it stand for a few hours. Exact procedure is in handbook. Do take note of this otherwise the car might complain of battery issues.

And that's about it.
Hope this guide helps someone and thanks to previous posters for answering my queries before I tackled this job

If admin read this and aren't happy with all the pics please feel free to remove them.
Or if you think this is worthy of insertion into help guides please feel free to move it across

Pete

·
Registered
303 Posts
Excellent Pete but just one little thing..mine is ISG and doesn't have an AGM battery..car has been fine since I owned it with no battery gremlins so like the media right now its fake news that its necessary on an ISG car at least it is on my venga ..excellent write up and many thanks for doing it..

·
Registered
245 Posts
I believe its recommended for AGM on ISG to support the added starting cycles possibly discharging the battery to a lower level than lead acid types.
Like you say, possibly a sales ploy more than necessity but just covering myself.
Glad you liked the guide overall though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I believe its recommended for AGM on ISG to support the added starting cycles possibly discharging the battery to a lower level than lead acid types.
Like you say, possibly a sales ploy more than necessity but just covering myself.
Glad you liked the guide overall though.
I can understand that Pete with the battery recommendation..the guide itself was excellent..a picture says a thousand words and yours were ace..one more guide for the Venga massive..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pete

Good visual guide, thanks for taking the trouble to post. When I was buying a battery I was concerned that a battery with the terminals in a step down wouldn't fit but clearly they do!!!

David

1 - 19 of 19 Posts