Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Newbie here. Im a Driving instructor and looking to replace my aging work horse - a Suzuki Splash - brilliant little car.
I'm here as i like the Venga but read about the awful fuel economy on the pre 2015 4-speed models and was wondering 2 things:-
  1. is the post 2015 model (now 6-speed) significantly better than the pre 2015
  2. is the newer 6-speed gearbox a full traditional automatics (Torque Converter) or one of those modern dual clutch transmissions (DCT) like the dsg boxes in the VW's and Audis?
Any help and advice would be most appreciated.
Kind regards

·
Registered
22 Posts
1. Not really, seems to be a little better but not significantly, certainly not enough to offset the higher purchase price of a newer model.
2. All torque converter.

I have a 2012 auto and it often tops 40 mpg which isn't far short of it's combined figure anyway, I think it depends entirely on what sort of driving you do. Obviously it has a much bigger engine than the Splash so it will be thirstier anyway and like most automatics it is juicy doing town work.

I would have thought a Honda Jazz would have been a good alternative to a Splash and lighter on fuel than a Venga.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Honda Jazz at the minute are suffering terribly with cat theft . If you go for one of these try to get the post 2015 (iirc) which has the cat up in the engine bay. As a driving instructor you don't want to be off the road waiting for parts and not making money.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Media reports suggest it is mainly hybrid variants but normal petrols have been suffering as well especially on the Mk1 and 2 Jazz which have cats which are really easy to get at .
In fact any car with a under body cat is susceptible but for some reason the "60 second mechanics" seems to like Prius / Auris / Jazz / Accord best of all and especially the hybrid variants (maybe the normal petrol ones are mistakes by less experienced "mechanics")
I suppose it does raise the question of, if hybrid is the near future (as pure EV and electric infra structure will take years to sort out), will this become a common theft or will manufacturers go cat in engine bay rather than facing the backlash Toyota and Honda are seeing at present?

Of course, it could become a non problem if Rhodium / Platinum prices fall, but that's a whole other topic for a completely different type of forum.If anyone thinks they know , can you tell me please so I can buy shares in Rhodium / Platinum companies :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi all,
Newbie here. Im a Driving instructor and looking to replace my aging work horse - a Suzuki Splash - brilliant little car.
I'm here as i like the Venga but read about the awful fuel economy on the pre 2015 4-speed models and was wondering 2 things:-
  1. is the post 2015 model (now 6-speed) significantly better than the pre 2015
  2. is the newer 6-speed gearbox a full traditional automatics (Torque Converter) or one of those modern dual clutch transmissions (DCT) like the dsg boxes in the VW's and Audis?
Any help and advice would be most appreciated.
Kind regards
Having had both I would say the 6 speed gearbox is a considerable improvement on the old 4 speed gearbox. Both boxes are torque converter type. I live in Milton Keynes which is famous for its roundabouts. The old 4 speed used to hesitate when crossing a roundabout the 6 speed doesn't so for me it would be the 6 speed.

David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Having had both I would say the 6 speed gearbox is a considerable improvement on the old 4 speed gearbox. Both boxes are torque converter type. I live in Milton Keynes which is famous for its roundabouts. The old 4 speed used to hesitate when crossing a roundabout the 6 speed doesn't so for me it would be the 6 speed.

David
I have a 4-spd and it has never hesitated except when the engine is stone cold and the air con is running, usually in the first mile, other than that it never does.
I do find the 4-spd tends to change up early sometimes but the engine doesn't have the torque for it and rather reluctant to change down from 4th without really burying the throttle, so easier to manually select 3rd with the shifter.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a 4-spd and it has never hesitated except when the engine is stone cold and the air con is running, usually in the first mile, other than that it never does.
I do find the 4-spd tends to change up early sometimes but the engine doesn't have the torque for it and rather reluctant to change down from 4th without really burying the throttle, so easier to manually select 3rd with the shifter.
Sorry perhaps wrong choice of words. I found the 4 speed very reluctant to change down when I needed it to. No such problem with the 6 speed. which is smooth through the gears. It was really the only reason I swapped from my 13 plate Venga but pleased I did. Also have a few more toys on the 66 plate!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry perhaps wrong choice of words. I found the 4 speed very reluctant to change down when I needed it to. No such problem with the 6 speed. which is smooth through the gears. It was really the only reason I swapped from my 13 plate Venga but pleased I did. Also have a few more toys on the 66 plate!
Ah yes, pretty much what I was saying then. Mine is smooth when it does change gear but definitely reluctant to kickdown at times, seems to be a characteristic of the gearbox. I prefer CVTs myself, never have this problem!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts