Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a petrolguzzling Venga 2 /1.6 Auto . 27- 30mpg on the motorway ; 18-23mpg in townIt is a shock to find the only new car I have ever bought almost too expensive to run. Kia ( Hummingbird motors Finchley) checked it early on andwas told that it would settle down.Just done 6000 miles in 8 months and wondering if I should cut my losses.
Has anyone ever contacted Kia head office with success?

·
Registered
21 Posts
That cannot be right! I used to get 22mpg around town and 35+ on the motorway from my 10year old Sedona 2.9 auto.

Having said that my last three tank fulls of diesel have only given me low 30's for my Venga 2 1.4 diesel. I do not drive like a lunatic, even my grand-daughter comments on my slow pace on motorways!!!

Maybe the Venga is much thirstier than it seems.

PS I have looked at how they get these figures and My Peugot 205 1.8 diesel gave me similar results from a 30 years old design.

·
Registered
662 Posts
common mistake with the venga is to drive too slow its so high geared that if you trundle around in top gear the engine labours too much try to keep the revs around 1800-2200 if you have a trip computer turn it to instantaneous display and you will be able to see what i mean

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep twigged that one. Now turned off the mpg things and drive at what I consider to be reasonably quick. Even Grand-daughter approved. Hardly ever get to the two top gears around town as where I live your restricted to 30 mph almost everywhere, plus a growing number of 20 mph zones. Anyway that improved my mpg as measured by tankful to tankful to 35mpg.
If I do a run of more than 5 miles around town it does improved greatly, but so did my 10 year old Sedona 2.9 auto!
Given the figures of 54mpg urban I would have been happy if it returned around 40mpg +or -, but 30 to 35 over 4 tankfuls now is poor even driving like Victor Meldrew. Which I do not think I do.
Going in for a service next week I will see if that makes much difference.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi,

I have just traded-in my gas guzzling 1.6 petrol auto, for a 1.4 diesel manual. Personally, my wife and I love the venga automatic but it was thirsty. Typical figures:-

Market Rasen(Lincolnshire) to Bristol via the A46 and Motorways (about 230 miles)at 70mph(+ a bit occasionally)when possible, gave me 31mpg in one direction and 33mpg in the other (strong winds). On rural A and B roads at best I got 35mpg and when town work and short journeys were involved, it fell to 28mpg. Use the performance, and then you'll pay. I was disappointed, but not shocked, with the consumption, and I had hoped for better.

I do 15,000 miles a year and hope to save between £1000 and £1400a year on fuel. You pay big time for the convenience of an auto!!

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
JUst had a Venga for 5 days as a loan car terrible fuel figures at 70 on the motorway 29 a gallon from a 1.4 manual glad to get my Magentis diesel back, which is now giving me 48 a gallon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I dont have a Venga but have a Ceed 1.6 petrol automatic and average 35mixed and 40 on a run even at motorway speeds

Rgards

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Edited highlights of a long spat: Lily-Blue v. KIA Customer Service on 27th Jan '11:L-B. Venga 2 Auto not meeting expectations ; mpg is awful . 18-23 in town . 27-30 on motorway.
C-S. Fuel figures in the adverts are a Gov't issue . Same for all manufacturers in the interests of motor trade equality.Legal obligation to only state Gov't figures in our blurb.
Vehicles are tested on rollers ; identicalnon- roadconditions !!!!
L-B.Surely KIA must test mpg independently?
C-S. We cannot test on the roads as everyone drives differently
L-B. How about a few miles around town and then on the motorway- it is simple.
C-S. It is just not possible to do that ( 30 mins in / getting a bit shirty here)
L-B. I have chosen this car for the 7 yr warranty , reasonable mpg & emissions.KIA gives a false impression .Something is wrongwith the vehicle design that KIA needs to be responsible for.
C-S All we can do is run standard checks on the car . Nothing we can do if no faults are found.
(Now at top of Customer Services ; Manager Snr. has the same script.)
L-B. So 18mpg is a fair mileage?
C-B. I cannot comment.
L-B. If there are other cars with the same issue eg on Kia Forum, would KIA follow this up?
C-S. No ( in 10 sentences) .
L-B. Will this conversation be reported?
C-S. Conversations are fed back to head office and MAY be listened to.
L-B . Can I take this further ?
C-S. This is the end of the Customer Service line. TrySociety of Motor Traders.
Non KIA suggestions for my next car ? Jeremy Clarkson here I come. Ta for listening KIA forum.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sorry to hear that your having issue Lilly hope you sort soon :) defently somin wrong with that mpg it's shocking I bet it feels like your driving a v8 truck .

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
That is shockingly bad fuel consumption! Even my old people carrier used to give about 35 mpg on the motorway at 70 mph.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts