Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL I PURCHASED A 60 PLATE VENGA 2 1.4 PETROL YESTERDAY AND DROVE BACK HOME NEARLY 220 MILES JUST MYSELF IN THE CAR AT A VERY STEADY 70 MPH ALL MOTORWAY.WHEN I CHECKED TRIP COMPUTER FOR MY AVERAGE MILES PER GALLON IT READ 37.2 MPH THIS SEEMS A BIT LOW TO ME, IS THIS READING LOW? WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT TO GET ? OR INDEED IS THIS NORMAL FOR A PETROL VENGA ? I WAS EXPECTING MORE MPH.ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED REGARDS BARRY.

·
Registered
65 Posts
1.4 venga 2 petrol - urban 37.5
Extra urban 51.4

Combined45.6

They are rough figures given by the authorities under normal driving conditions and to be fair them kind of trip computers are not always as accurate as they can be but thats the same with all vehicles.

hope this helps

simon

·
Registered
65 Posts
me myself i wouldnt trust trip computers on any manufacture when im driving my soul echo i just leave it on the miles to go till you need to fill up ..

try this ... next time you fill up leave it on the screen i said then set a target so say you put 20 quid in from empty and it gives youover 100 miles before you need to fill up again..

dont check ur actual trip mileageuntil thatdrops to 100 miles then check ur trip and i guarentee you'd of done more miles then thefuel indicator says

MAKE SURE YOU RESET EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU LEAVE FUEL STATION THOUGH

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
elofan
The only way you can really check your fuel consumption is to fill the tank to the brim and when you refill it use the same garage and same pump pointing in the same direction. The slope on the forcourt can make quite a difference to how much you can get in which can upset the figures either way by a sustantial margin, been there done that. Simply divide distance by gallons (litres divided by 4.546)to refill and thats your figure.

The Venga is quite a large car for a 1.4 petrol engine to pull along especially on a motorway thus you will never get the best figures in the motoring world. Most of the cars I have owned in recent years have at best averaged somewhere midway between the urban and combined figured but now with manufacturers setting up the cars the lower the official figures and CO output getter better than the urban figure can be difficult.

As an example the BMW 118d we have originally had urban and combined figures of 36 and 50 mpg, BMW modified the car in late 2007 (just before we bought ours) giving it more power and figures of 47 and 62 mpg. The major change other than the power increase was the addition of stop start which massages the official figures nicely but gives no increase in the real world when most of the time I am on M'ways and A roads. We get 48mpg on average which as I say would have been considered great in an earlier model but is now close to the urban figure, in the real world I still think its great for a car with 143 bhp.

Our Ceed 1.6 CRDi SW averges about 51mpg on the wifes 19 mile commute. This is way short of the official figure and only just beats the urban figure but in the real world we think its really good for a large estate with a good turn of speed.

You car is not very old, you don't say how many miles it has done but it will improve as the miles increase.

Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi paul car is on a 60 plate and has just hit 8000 miles i reset the computer and drove about 40 miles all town driving and average mpg showed 27 not very good considering official figures say 37.2 i know thats not really achieveable but 10 mpg down on official figure really seems thirsty .

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
elofan

Our Ceed manages about 40 mpg if you use it only in town, less if the traffic is bad, thats about10 mpgless than the official figure or about 80% of the official figure. Your 27 mpgis about 73% of the official figure thus you are doing less well than we are.
One factor I had never considered before until recently was the accuracy of the milage recorder. We travel to Scotland twice a year, same place, same route, been doing it since 1994. When we had the G o l f it was exactly 400 miles door to door, a figure I remember well, in the Mondeo and Focus it was less, about 380 miles. When we went up in May we had a satnav for the first time plus it was the first time in the Ceed SW. The Ceed recorded 368 miles, the satnav 382 miles quite a difference 3.7% in fact. The satnav figure was very close to that recorded by both Fords, guess that means they were accurate. The Ceed recorded a distance 8% less than the G o l f.

What I am trying to say is I have concluded that you cannot compare the mpg of cars without knowing how accurate the mileage recorders are. The Focus used to average 56 mpgapprox for the trip, the G o l f 60 mpg, not entirely sure about the Ceed since we didn't do a tank up when we got there or got home but I would guess about 54 mpg. Adjust these to the satnav mileage and the G o l f drops to 57.3 mpg, the focusincreasesto 56.3 mpg and the Ceed increases to 56.1 mpg. On initial calculation there is a large difference between the cars, when corrected to the satnav mileage they are actually very close.

I am not saying that you will get a figure close to the official figures if you check the accuracy of the mileage recorder but if its like our Ceed it will make life look a little better. Very happy to be getting a figure close to the previous cars since the Ceed is way bigger, quicker and more comfortable.

Not had a large petrol car for years other than a 2 litre petrol BMW 116I was loaned whilst my 118D was being MOT's and having a new battery. It did about 36mpg over 4 days mostly on M'ways and A roads, less than the urban figure of 38mpg and very similar to your experience with the Venga on the 200 mile trip although I am sure you will spot its a much bigger engine.

Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fanx for the help guys its really off putting i have only had the car a few days and this is really spoiling my ownership to the point where i actually feel like selling it or try for an exchange at arnold clark kia altrincham where i bought it.it really is a pity because being 6'4" it gives me fab headroom and besides the mpg problem i like the car

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have recorded every drop of petrol and mileage of my petrol Venga 1 since I purchased it in March 2010. It has now done 11,000 miles and the best I have ever got out of it was 43.8 mpg on a long run shortly after it was serviced ( this was achieved on A roads only ) The average over the 15 months is 40.2 mpg. I consider this to be a fair return for a biggish car with plenty room and a smallish engine!! To be honest with you I LOVE THIS CAR!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had my Venga now for almost a year and it has about 12,ooo miles on the clock. Over the last few months I have been checking my petrol consumption and the best I can get is 41 mpg, but more often, 36/37 miles per gallon. This is a mixture of town and country driving

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi all,

spoke to a guy with a 1.4 petrol Venga the other day. He returned to Lincolnshire from Pembrokeshire, a journey of some 300 miles, on A roads only and taking it steady (being of a certain age). He reckoned he got around 45mpg and was well pleased.

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Although not very familiar with mpg system (we have kpl here), I could add that the consumption in my 1.4 petrol is definitely worse than mentioned in the specifications. My average is about 8 littres/100 km (=2.11 gallons/60 miles)Edited by: Lefteris

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi allI HAVE JUST BEEN BACK TRACKING THE FORUM AND FOUND THAT MPG FOR PETROL
VENGA IS A POPULAR GRIPE,I HAVE TO DAY COMPLETED A 150MILE JOURNEY AT
70TO80MPH WHERE POSSIBLE TRIP SHOWS AVERAGE 38MPG NOT BAD I THINK,
WHAT WE HAVE TO REMBER IS THE FACT THAT ONLY ONE CAR IS TESTED ON
ROLLING ROAD SO MANUFACTURES FIGURES ARE IN FACT GUIDE TO THE MPG
THAT IS POSSIBLE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my Venga 1.4 petrol for 6 months now. At least once a month I do a 160 mile mostly motorway journey (Durham - Nottingham). The car has now done 5800 miles. I've once managed to get 38.9mpg out of it but seem to average on my distance driving 35mpg and round town driving only 31mph - this seems exceedingly low and doesn't differ to my driving style. I try to do everything correct, not braking hard, not over revving, etc. My Dad's nagging me to take it in to Kia and complain - is it worth doing this as I'm not really sure what they can do. I love the car other than this (and a stupid rattle coming from the dash!) but cant sell it as it's on a 2 year lease.<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

·
Registered
8 Posts
I must say that I am disappointed with the mpg of my Venga 3 1.4 petrol. I have only completed 1600 miles but the best consumption according to the trip computer is 34 mpg. The worst is 29.8 on mixed motorway and local roads. Not trusting the computer I checked with filling to brim against mileage travelled. The computer seems to under estimate by about 3mpg. Even so 33 to 37 mpg is not good by modern standards for an engine of this size.It's a pity because otherwise it's a great car.Hopefully when the engine loosens up a bit 40mpg may be possible.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The 1.4 venga weighs about 1700 KG, which is rather heavy for a small car and a little engine. What you have to remember is that this will really affect the fuel consumption. The other thing with small engines is that they do have to work harder compared to bigger engines etc etc. Just put fuel in the car and drive it.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts