Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
First time posting here. Have just bought a 2012 1.4 diesel venga and I love it. I bought it and was told the glow plugs needed doing, hence difficult start, however after driving it home the starting is still much longer than should be as glow plugs shouldn't be an issue once the engine is warm? Any ideas on what this could be? The engine turns when i try to start but doesn't catch.
Any help would be appriciated!

·
Registered
699 Posts
How many miles has it done? At 8 years old it may be coming up to needing new injectors.
It may be losing compression, if it runs ok apart from starting does it loose oil or smoke from the exhaust?
Is it under dealers warranty if you bought it from a Kia dealer?

It could just be gummmed up, in which case a bottle of diesel Redex may help. But this may invalidate any warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's done 60000 miles. Runs perfectly apart from the start, a burst of smoke after the original start which took a long time but thats all, nothing else from the exhaust.
No warranty as bought privately under the assumption the glow plugs needed doing. First start we used easy start to get going - after driving home it did start alone just takes about 7-10 secs of turning key.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi Iris
To start with - if it was me I would probably replace the fuel filter,check the air filter for cleanliness,make sure the Glow plugs are getting electrical power supply when the ign is switched on.If the glow plugs are getting power (does the glow plug light illuminate ??) ,if you have reasonable access to the glow plugs it is possible to check the glow plug resistance 'in situ' with a multi meter.Is the battery fully charged and in good condition ? diesel engines require a lot of battery power for a good start

·
Registered
296 Posts
I assume you let the glow plug light go out before attempting a start ?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hi Iris
To start with - if it was me I would probably replace the fuel filter,check the air filter for cleanliness,make sure the Glow plugs are getting electrical power supply when the ign is switched on.If the glow plugs are getting power (does the glow plug light illuminate ??) ,if you have reasonable access to the glow plugs it is possible to check the glow plug resistance 'in situ' with a multi meter.Is the battery fully charged and in good condition ? diesel engines require a lot of battery power for a good start
I would agree with all that if the lady is mechanically skilled or has a tame one to hand. If not, then first try the Redex (diesel version). [Note to get the correct mixture you may have to add Redex to half a tank or less, do please read the label]

It may also just need servicing, did you get the service history with the car? If so at what mileage was it last serviced and check the date also in case it has been sat for a year without moving. (In which case the tyres are also suspect. )
As I remember, a fuel filter change requires battery removal in the diesel engined versions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone thanks for the advice,
Just replaced fuel filter and cleaned out engine, still not much difference. Planning to test glow plugs and fuel injectors next - will keep you updated

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good start - good quality fuel filter I hope !
The fuel filter on a diesel is very important.
I am assuming the glow plug light illuminates and then goes out after a few seconds ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,
Injector has been put in but car is still not quite right - we did anither injector test and turns out Injector one is also leaky. Another injector is coming and i will put it in tomorrow and update again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everyone,
Having replaced 2 fuel injectors now the car reliably starts - however still slowly in the mornings. We recently discovered a blown 80 amp glow plug fuse and will be investigating that next. Another issue I am having is a lack of power at low revs in the car - sometimes I have to have my foot on the floor to get it moving. It is drivable but very annoying and occasionally there is some engine knocking. I have done some research and discovered 'the venga problem' Does anyone have any experience or advice with this?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No I have replaced them myself with the help of a family friend car mechanic, the injectors have been correctly coded by him - this made a difference but has not solved the issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If coding the injectors has made a difference to the issue, this would indicate the problem is within the fuel system. However sometimes simple things like software can be the issue. I would definitely recommend checking you have the latest engine software in your vehicle as this may save you alot of money due to possibly chasing a fault that is not curable with parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I am going to take it in for a software check tomorrow I think - Ive been looking for the name of the updates I have heard helped with the power issues and engine knocks but with no luck, is anyone aware of the names of them?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts