Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I ve read lots of posts about this and most common answer is to use vat registered garages as an optional substitute for kia dealership. Kia also recommends var registered garages. What makes them better than non vat?
My situation: bought 68 diesel optima with 14k mileage in 08.2019. What amazed me first service has been done but oil not changed. Apparently intervals are 20k for oil which i find ridiculous. So i went to my local garage i ve been using for years to be told he is not vat registered. Anyway i asked to carry on with oil change using kias genuine oil and filter. Thats the receipt i got, it has parts numbers and car reg on it.
Any one cares to comments is my warranty gonna be valid using non vat garage or not. Im hoping for Kia official position in this matter. Cheers!

·
Registered
543 Posts
VAT registration comes in when someone/a garage has turnover (not profit) over £85k.

I guess the intent is to exclude DIY/driveway mechanics.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would have thought if the garage has used a genuine KIA oil filter and the correct grade of oil as specified in the handbook then your KIA dealer would be unable to tell you have had the oil changed. I wouldn't show your receipt unless asked and I wouldn't mention it when you have your next full service at 20K. Your warranty will still be valid and you have a receipt you can produce to prove in the future the oil change was done to KIA specification.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have thought if the garage has used a genuine KIA oil filter and the correct grade of oil as specified in the handbook then your KIA dealer would be unable to tell you have had the oil changed. I wouldn't show your receipt unless asked and I wouldn't mention it when you have your next full service at 20K. Your warranty will still be valid and you have a receipt you can produce to prove in the future the oil change was done to KIA specification.
Thats exactly how im gonna handle all the extra oil changes between these 20k intervals but i was just asking for future reference (brakes etc.). I ve got great garage i ve used for years and im not gonna look for something else just because this one isnt vat registered. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
TBH. So long as your car is serviced in line with KIA, Which it has, then your oil change makes no difference. Unless they put in a something totally wrong and it's picked up at the next service.

And please folks. lets not get into the oil debate again (y) ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TBH. So long as your car is serviced in line with KIA, Which it has, then your oil change makes no difference. Unless they put in a something totally wrong and it's picked up at the next service.

And please folks. lets not get into the oil debate again (y) ?
I guess i need to search for these debates. I want to know what others think of it ☺

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
bought 68 diesel optima with 14k mileage in 08.2019. What amazed me first service has been done but oil not changed. Apparently intervals are 20k for oil which i find ridiculous.
Forgive me asking but what is ridiculous about the car still running on the original oil at 14,000 miles?

Now, correct me if I’m wrong but if the vehicle was serviced at the end of the first year and the mileage was around 10,000 or a little over, then a KIA dealer would not have performed an oil change, that service being restricted to an inspection. Only if the mileage was several thousand miles over 10,000 would the dealer have changed the oil & filter.

The oil & filter life is comfortably 20,000 miles so there is no need for those items to be changed just because the car has racked up half of that or even a little more. The overarching servicing requirement is that the car should be serviced at 12 monthly intervals or at 20,000 miles, should that occur first.

To simply perform unnecessary oil & filter replacement at 10,000 mile intervals is a total waste of money, KIA guaranteeing the engine/turbo for the full 7 years or 100,000 miles, providing the owner(s) adhere to the schedule contained in the owners’ handbook.

In the hands of a high-mileage user, 15,000 to 20,000 miles (or even more) is quite possible in the first year and a dealer would identify that and perform an oil & filter change because by leaving it till the second service, the oil could be over 30,000 miles which would almost certainly still be ok but rather pushing it somewhat.

If anyone wants to ignore the science behind modern engine building and fully-synthetic oils, wishing to perform additional changes, (just to be on the safe side), then that’s fine by me but it really displays a Luddite mentality in this 21st century and is a waste of money.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Agreeing with Indalo here - does the OP think he understands KIA engines beter than KIA (who are warranting their product) does?

On the VAT registered part, I think the point is that a VAT registered business has to produce books and accounts and is subject to audits so there is some assurance that the invoice is not a complete work of fiction. "Fred under the arches" can put whatever he likes on the invoice and no-one will be scrutinising them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fred under the arches" can put whatever he likes on the invoice and no-one will be scrutinising them.
Actually plenty of those are VAT registered as I did the accounts for one, and VAT returns of course. He was an independent motor repairer and had long standing customers but that would not keep a KIA warranty alive. I thin many motorist are not up to believing that engine will last with such long intervals. After all my Piccanto has annual oil changes per its warranty. Also who keeps cars long enough to bother nowadays?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Fred under the arches" can put whatever he likes on the invoice and no-one will be scrutinising them.
Actually plenty of those are VAT registered as I did the accounts for one, and VAT returns of course. He was an independent motor repairer and had long standing customers but that would not keep a KIA warranty alive. I thin many motorist are not up to believing that engine will last with such long intervals. After all my Piccanto has annual oil changes per its warranty. Also who keeps cars long enough to bother nowadays?
Agree that there are many independants who are registered, but the OP wants to use a non VAT indy. Try to keep up. My post was contrasting VAT registered with non VAT registered.

·
Registered
502 Posts
On the VAT registered part, I think the point is that a VAT registered business has to produce books and accounts and is subject to audits so there is some assurance that the invoice is not a complete work of fiction. "Fred under the arches" can put whatever he likes on the invoice and no-one will be scrutinising them.
That is undoubtedly a factor but the main reason is the EU block exemption rules that allow owners to service outside the dealer network and retain the warranty. These rules require you to use a VAT registered garage.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
That is undoubtedly a factor but the main reason is the EU block exemption rules that allow owners to service outside the dealer network and retain the warranty. These rules require you to use a VAT registered garage.

Yes, and these rules make that requirement for the reasons I have already put forwards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts