Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I find it outrageous that the UK government has not acted against VAG in the interest of the many disadvantaged by the fraud. Friend of mine (a pensioner) has a Caddy, and after the "emissions update" his fuel consumption is about a third worse than previously. He was also the victim of the disintegrating DCT gearbox debacle (as was another friend of mine). VAG attitude? "tough luck, would you like to come and look at some nice new VWs?" Guess the answer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is one of the major reasons I decided to move away from VAG cars and buy a Kia recently. On Paper they offer so much but in reality the reliability is just not there. Certainly that has been my experience.

·
Registered
970 Posts
But VAG's sales haven't been adversely affected too much by the fraud.

Also, a lot of the parts in Kia's seem to be designed in Germany, so reliability will be on par with the VAG, bmw, etc. Bmw engines are a joke.

·
Super Moderator
1,814 Posts
But VAG's sales haven't been adversely affected too much by the fraud.
So true.

Seems people fail to care that they were outright lied too. :sad:

Shame every country that the figures were fiddled. Has not told VAG that they want every car retested and the tax rate adjusted to suit the new figure. As well as telling them that until that is done. Their cars are to be taken off the road, till sorted and if the owner wants to reject the car. They have to pay up along with compensation.

This is the motor manufacturing version of PPI miss selling.

So from that outcome it appears the motor trade has far more clout with governments than the banks do...

·
Registered
308 Posts
VAG are now having ISSUES (over a year)with their 1.5 litre petrol engines and have taken back rejected models after telling the poor customers it was a characteristic or their driving style.

·
Registered
970 Posts
VAG are now having ISSUES (over a year)with their 1.5 litre petrol engines and have taken back rejected models after telling the poor customers it was a characteristic or their driving style.
The usual bull-sh-t that the main d(st)ealers come out with when there's a big problem.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Here's the latest. How can VAG defend something they have legally lost virtually everywhere else in the world???

This is normal corporate behaviour - if VAG roll over then they will get taken to the cleaners big time - undefended civil cases usually attract phone number compensation. If they mount a defence then several things happen:

The complainant might bottle out at the cost of continuing the action.

The complainant might fail to properly establish culpability.

The compainant might fail to fully establish the extent of compensation.

Many of the conplainants will die or lose interest in the course of the action, thus reducing hte compensation bill

If the case is not defended VAG cannot appeal the decision

The complainant might bottle out at the cost of defending the appeal

The complainant might fail to mount a proper defence of the appeal.

Many of the conplainants will die or lose interest in the course of the appeal, thus reducing hte compensation bill

During all of this it is possible that some or all of the complainants will accept out of court settlements.

And finally, the cost of settlement is deferred some years down the line so the true value is eaten away by inflation.

Interestingly the cost to the NHS of defending negligence claims is about one third to one half of the cost of simiply settling and some NHS authorities are finding it cheaper to settle than to defend.

·
Super Moderator
1,814 Posts
The issue is about loss of value of the cars on trading in/selling on. Which is going to be very hard to prove. Hence VAG stance.
Also while VAG broke the emissions regulations in the USA. They did not in the Euro zone as our regs are a lot more tolerant (read regulators have had a few nice jollies on the manufactures)

So I hope all these people that have signed up have closely read the agreement. Because if they lose, which is a very strong possibility given how strong the 2nd hand value of the cars are. They could end up well out of pockets.

·
Registered
347 Posts
We had our Ceed SW CRDi for 5 trouble free years thus when we changed it we automatically looked at a new Ceed. We did not need a diesel, in fact with our reduced mileage a diesel would have been stupid so we tried a Ceed 1.6 petrol, it was dreadful, back to the drawing board.

Bought a 1.4 TSi Leon which we had for 3 trouble free years but in truth after the Ceed SW it was too small thus we decided to swap early. By now the Ceed 1.0 turbo petrol was out but whilst way better than the 1.6 petrol Ceed it just seemed way under powered even when only 2 people on board compared to the Seat so back to the drawing board again

So we bought a 1.4 TSi Skoda Superb, had it for 3 trouble free years.

Its coming up time to swap again, decided 3 years is now our replacement interval and not 5 years (they don't put pockets in shrouds). Already looked at the ProCeed and Ceed SW both of which we like especially the ProCeed GT. Problem is a spare tyre is quite bizarrely not available as an option or accessory on every spec in the range and the ones we would buy do not have the option, Kia themselves have confirmed this. A spare is essential for us so back to the drawing board again.

So back to VAG, not an option this time due to the kangarooing with the current 1.5 TSi engines.

Hyundai look promising, all specs have a spacesaver as standard with the i30 but its smaller than the Ceed inside despite supposedly being the exact same car, how did they do that?

When the wife had a new motor 18 months ago to replace her Note she liked the looks of the Stonic but there was no way her mums wheelchair would fit in the boot, very poor space for what they class as an SUV. But it would fit in the "smaller" Rio hatch thus it became her favoured car, for about 5 minutes. To get climate and cruise you needed to buy the "3" spec but that only came with plastic seats instead of the cloth. Kia call it "Faux Leather" but there is no leather in it, total rip off.

So back to VAG and she had a 1.0 TSi Fabia. Wheel chair fits, great spec, stonking deal (£5000 off list) and so far totally reliable.

Personally I can see why people buy VAG cars, its why we have bought 3 in the last 6 1/2 years despite the dire press.

If only Kia would produce cars with a more flexible spec like most manufacturers instead of just having 3 or 4 fixed specs per model. Not asking for endless options like BMW etc, just the ability to add simple everyday things like climate and cruise on more poverty specs.

I am sure it would gain them many more customers, me and the mrs for starters.

·
Super Moderator
1,814 Posts
If only Kia would produce cars with a more flexible spec like most manufacturers instead of just having 3 or 4 fixed specs per model. Not asking for endless options like BMW etc, just the ability to add simple everyday things like climate and cruise on more poverty specs.

I think the reason is cost based.

They can run a production line building to a certain spec. Not having to keep checking the sheet to see if it needs XYorZ for this car on the line.
Also means can get a new car to the market a lot quicker. As they can be built and ready for the marketplace in bulk in the std spec.

·
Registered
213 Posts
We had our Ceed SW CRDi for 5 trouble free years thus when we changed it we automatically looked at a new Ceed. We did not need a diesel, in fact with our reduced mileage a diesel would have been stupid so we tried a Ceed 1.6 petrol, it was dreadful, back to the drawing board.

Bought a 1.4 TSi Leon which we had for 3 trouble free years but in truth after the Ceed SW it was too small thus we decided to swap early. By now the Ceed 1.0 turbo petrol was out but whilst way better than the 1.6 petrol Ceed it just seemed way under powered even when only 2 people on board compared to the Seat so back to the drawing board again

So we bought a 1.4 TSi Skoda Superb, had it for 3 trouble free years.

Its coming up time to swap again, decided 3 years is now our replacement interval and not 5 years (they don't put pockets in shrouds). Already looked at the ProCeed and Ceed SW both of which we like especially the ProCeed GT. Problem is a spare tyre is quite bizarrely not available as an option or accessory on every spec in the range and the ones we would buy do not have the option, Kia themselves have confirmed this. A spare is essential for us so back to the drawing board again.

So back to VAG, not an option this time due to the kangarooing with the current 1.5 TSi engines.

Hyundai look promising, all specs have a spacesaver as standard with the i30 but its smaller than the Ceed inside despite supposedly being the exact same car, how did they do that?

When the wife had a new motor 18 months ago to replace her Note she liked the looks of the Stonic but there was no way her mums wheelchair would fit in the boot, very poor space for what they class as an SUV. But it would fit in the "smaller" Rio hatch thus it became her favoured car, for about 5 minutes. To get climate and cruise you needed to buy the "3" spec but that only came with plastic seats instead of the cloth. Kia call it "Faux Leather" but there is no leather in it, total rip off.

So back to VAG and she had a 1.0 TSi Fabia. Wheel chair fits, great spec, stonking deal (£5000 off list) and so far totally reliable.

Personally I can see why people buy VAG cars, its why we have bought 3 in the last 6 1/2 years despite the dire press.

Without ignoring the rest of your post, I did read it all, what discussions did you have with the dealer about the spare? My gt was already a cracking deal but I said not having a spare (ss) was a deal breaker. They swapped out the inflation kit and whacked in the ss and tools for me to save the sale.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Without ignoring the rest of your post, I did read it all, what discussions did you have with the dealer about the spare? My gt was already a cracking deal but I said not having a spare (ss) was a deal breaker. They swapped out the inflation kit and whacked in the ss and tools for me to save the sale.
He looked on the accessories site they can access and there were no Ceed spares shown so he suggested I contact Kia.

So I posted a message on here https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/threads/ceed-spare-wheel.53307/ and they confirmed that they do not currently do a spare for the Ceed and even if they did you could not fit one in the GT.

Have you checked that the supplied spare actually fits your car? Reason I ask is a colleague bought a car with a fitted spare but when he tried to fit it one dark night it would not go over the brakes. Totally useless.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's only a space saver and will not fit the front, they made that clear after agreeing to the swap, which given the speed of availability, may not have been ordered.....
They assured me the rolling radius would be fine and it will only ever be for a short distance, otherwise green flag will be summoned.

I relied on the inflation kit in a previous car and it cost me 7hrs of my life waiting for an AA van, around midnight, stranded in darkest Birmingham. I'll take a (possible) double wheel change over a repeat of that any day. 🙄

I thought you meant that certain ceed trim levels came with a spare but no ceed does anymore? Yeah that would be a problem.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's only a space saver and will not fit the front, they made that clear after agreeing to the swap, which given the speed of availability, may not have been ordered.....
So a bit like my former colleague, you have a spare that will not fit, OK it fits the rear but who would want to risk 2 wheel swaps on a busy motorway when one would be bad enough.

That is clearly why Kia are telling me no SS is available for the GT.

If they cannot do a proper spare I will not be buying.

·
Registered
213 Posts
So a bit like my former colleague, you have a spare that will not fit, OK it fits the rear but who would want to risk 2 wheel swaps on a busy motorway when one would be bad enough.
Doesn't bother me. One or two, it's only five mins more once the boot is unloaded and wheel/kit is out. Its only a maybe as well, 50/50 it'll be front or back.
Unfortunately it's the way these days with most uprated cars, the larger front calipers restrict the use of steel wheels which ss's generally are. Unless they offer a full size spare (very rare), you'll struggle to get a performance model because they all uprate front calipers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts