Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have an idea how to get a replacement elbow (right angle) connector for the brake vacuum pump?
Mine has snapped and the brakes don't work but I'm not up fo paying circa £300 plus fitting to replace the pump when all that's broken is the replaceable plastic(really!!) connector that's on the top of the pump - the pump works just fine.

Thankfully it failed before it was being driven at speed

I've look for part numbers and have a few queries with breakers but no joy yet

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
How about glueing a pipe joiner/suitable size pipe inside the plastic as a repair, have you tried the dealer to see if the plastic part is availible as a seperate part ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply noublue,

So to reply in reverse order :
yes I have contacted the dealer and the young chap that I spoke to said that while he could see the this part is removable from the vacuum pump there isn't a separate part number in their system that he can order so the only option is to buy a whole pump @ £465 dealer price! (I've found alternatives as low as £195)

yes - I am considering a repair of the part itself although I'm very conscious that this part failing eliminates about 95% of the braking force that can be applied to the brakes manually so safety is a significant concern. But it is my backstop solution.

I also managed to find a second hand parts service (Used Car Parts | Car Spares | Car Parts | 1st Choice - no affiliation to me it just came up in google) I've had at least one breakers offer the part for £40 delivered - which while pricey for what it is, avoids any effort of replacing the pump so it saves either time or mechanic labour costs if I sent it into the shop to get sorted.

The only risk I run with the breaker part is that its not exactly the same as it looks like there are several pump manufacturers, but then I'd be falling back to the repair job before relenting to a new pump et al.

Cheers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
if you can find a piece of metal pipe that is a tight/good fit inside the plastic union and use epoxy resin you should be able to create a better than new repair. the fact that you can remove the union off the pump will make it easier to repair. good luck !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts