Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have figured out from this forum that the reason my 4wd system is not working on my 2002 sportage is becuase the vaccum pipes are cracked. But where is the best place to get replacements? Also is it an easy enough job to do on my own? Is there anything particular I should do once replaced with the selecting of 4wd??

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used turbo pipe from a fiesta turbo, and it worked fine, but, they were a bit short, so this year when the 4x4 stopped working, i checked them again, and 1 had split, i replcaed with fuel pipe, and this doesnt seem to have fixed it, so may get some more turbo pipe instead, :)

Mick

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've just replaced mine with some pipe from the local car spares shop, one of the hubs kicks in but the other doesn't.
I've stripped the hub and all looks ok...................vacuum getting lost somewhere?

Is there a seal of some sort behind the wheel bearing itself?

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you start car and then engage 4 wheel drive, do you get suction on the end of the pipe going to the HUB. i know i did on both sides, but it didnt feel strong enough to pull anything ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get suction to both sides but there is noticeably less to the side thats not working, the metal pipes are all ok.
Perhaps it's a blockage somewhere?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just found one of the metal pipes corroded, where it goes into the engine bay from the wheel arch, ran a pipe from the wheel, straight to the T piece, and it still aint working lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gonna mess with mine again tomorrow, might just swap the spring and cog round so it works permanently...................then hope it snows to try it out lol
cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've found the problem, it's in the hub itself, there must be a seal behind the bearing that's leaking.
I swapped the outer vacuum hubs over and run separate pipes to each hub bypassing the metal ones and the fault is in the inner part of one of the hubs itself.

I'll strip it down later and replace the problem part.

In the meantime I've took the vacuumouter hubs apart and swapped the position of the spring and bottom cog so now it'slike manual hubs that are locked............when you move the '4 Hi'lever it works great evertime! There doesn't seem to be any adverse effects to doing this except for perhaps a little more drag=lower mpg.

I also disconnected the wire to the vacuum cannister valve to stop the vacuum system from operating until I change the bearing seal.

In the meantime I've got four wheel drive which will get me through thisbad weather period!

cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys, I have the same problem but I am NO mechanic, does any one have any pisc they could send me so I know I'm looking for?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts