Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I decided to go for a ENiro I thought it would be like my BMW i3 and not have any problems with using the App.
The big problem is UVO does not work where I live because the Vodaphone signal is non existent .
Also I did think that the car would have a roaming sim connection built into it but that's not the case.
Why did they drop the router connection option leaving it on the car software would solve the problem for me at home and maybe other owners with the the same cxxp signal on the Vodaphone network. Anyway learning to live with no UVO now I suppose what you never had you never miss :cool:

·
Registered
317 Posts
When I decided to go for a ENiro I thought it would be like my BMW i3 and not have any problems with using the App.
The big problem is UVO does not work where I live because the Vodaphone signal is non existent .
Also I did think that the car would have a roaming sim connection built into it but that's not the case.
Why did they drop the router connection option leaving it on the car software would solve the problem for me at home and maybe other owners with the the same cxxp signal on the Vodaphone network. Anyway learning to live with no UVO now I suppose what you never had you never miss :cool:
Is the SatNav system reliant on mapping from the SIM card and not from a SD card as on pre UVO cars. If so does this cause any issues when driving in unfamiliar areas when the SatNav is needed.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,435 Posts
Is the SatNav system reliant on mapping from the SIM card and not from a SD card as on pre UVO cars. If so does this cause any issues when driving in unfamiliar areas when the SatNav is needed.
I believe the sat nav mapping isn't reliant on the sim card, but the live camera's, traffic information etc. is.

Edit: after I wrote the comment above I read this thread which suggests the sat nav is dependent on the sim card.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Edit: after I wrote the comment above I read this thread which suggests the sat nav is dependent on the sim card.
I can only go by my experience with my car, but the UVO equipped NAV quite happily plotted the position of the car but refused to plot a route as it had no network access. A swift Reset solved the issue completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Does the eNiro come with Android Auto and Apple Car Play? If so, that should make up for the non availability of UVO.

As far as I understand it the UVO app relies on the built in SIM card, rather than a mobile hotspot, if your car doesn't have one I'm guessing the app won't work anywhere

·
Registered
833 Posts
I can only go by my experience with my car, but the UVO equipped NAV quite happily plotted the position of the car but refused to plot a route as it had no network access. A swift Reset solved the issue completely.
It seems a backward step to require a network connection before a nav route can be set. What if you are in the back of beyond with no network? Seems Kia should put out some information explaining the full workings and limitations.

Some additional jnfo in this thread

·
Registered
317 Posts
Does the eNiro come with Android Auto and Apple Car Play? If so, that should make up for the non availability of UVO.

As far as I understand it the UVO app relies on the built in SIM card, rather than a mobile hotspot, if your car doesn't have one I'm guessing the app won't work anywhere

I maybe wrong on this but both Android Auto and Apple Carplay both require a a SiM connection through the phone via a mobile hotspot rather than the SiM connection on the UVO head unit. If the UVO app can't get a signal through the SIM then the phone will also not get a signal so you are no better off. At least with the maps on a SD card mapping works all the time irrespective whether there is a mobile phone signal or not. Only thing that wouldn't work would be speed camera alert and the services part, ir fuel prices, weather, car parking etc. This seem a retrograde step if lost without a signal trying to get from A to B.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I maybe wrong on this but both Android Auto and Apple Carplay both require a a SiM connection through the phone via a mobile hotspot rather than the SiM connection on the UVO head unit. If the UVO app can't get a signal through the SIM then the phone will also not get a signal so you are no better off. At least with the maps on a SD card mapping works all the time irrespective whether there is a mobile phone signal or not. Only thing that wouldn't work would be speed camera alert and the services part, ir fuel prices, weather, car parking etc. This seem a retrograde step if lost without a signal trying to get from A to B.
All I can do is tell you how it works with my car. I do not need a mobile hotspot to use Android Auto, or UVO, have never needed a mobile hotspot for anything. I went to all the hassle of finding out how to setup a mobile hotspot only to find out I didn't need one .

Next time I go out in the car I'll leave my mobile at home and see if it all still works

·
Registered
292 Posts
Only thing that wouldn't work would be speed camera alert and the services part, ir fuel prices, weather, car parking etc. This seem a retrograde step if lost without a signal trying to get from A to B.
With no phone in the car I obviously can't access Android Auto or Apple Car Play but all of the NAV functions and Kia Connected Services (Traffic, Roadworks, Cameras etc) were working. It was a minor inconvenience to reset the head unit, but it didn't need anything more, and only the once. It seems that the onboard SIM loses connection with whichever network it uses if not used over a protracted period of time.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,435 Posts
We have a TomTom GO 5000 (2014) which has live traffic. I had assumed that there was an internal SIM, but apparently it actually has a 2G receiver to get traffic updates. They use 2G as it is most suitable for this type of use and, in theory, you are more likely to get a signal in rural area's. As most mobile providers are using 5G I did wonder how much longer a lifespan 2G has, which apparently is estimated at another decade. However most the main providers are planning to switch off their 3G networks and Vodafone has started to do just that in some area's of Europe.
I suspect the UVO systems have a receiver for either 2G or 3G, hence it works without the need for a mobile phone connection.

·
Registered
292 Posts
We have a TomTom GO 5000 (2014) which has live traffic. I had assumed that there was an internal SIM, but apparently it actually has a 2G receiver to get traffic updates. They use 2G as it is most suitable for this type of use and, in theory, you are more likely to get a signal in rural area's. As most mobile providers are using 5G I did wonder how much longer a lifespan 2G has, which apparently is estimated at another decade. However most the main providers are planning to switch off their 3G networks and Vodafone has started to do just that in some area's of Europe.
I suspect the UVO systems have a receiver for either 2G or 3G, hence it works without the need for a mobile phone connection.
I've no idea how many G's it has, I only know that the head unit has its own IMEI number if that might hold a clue. I don't have enough teccy knowledge but if I chose to I could send a text message from my head unit, but I don't know how many Gs that requires either.

·
Registered
833 Posts
How do you reset the head unit then.
Finally got this resolved, so though I'd document here in case anyone else has the same problem in the future.

As mentioned above, the car was not making a data connection to Kia Connected Services. This is, I believe, due to the car being parked at home for periods of time where there is no mobile signal. After a while the car refuses to connect to mobile data at all, even when moving to an area with good mobile coverage. When you don't get any connected services you don't have traffic updates, etc.

When in its 'broken' state the UVO+ icon looks like this permanently (note no bars filled in on the UVO+ signal strength) in the top right of the infotainment display:
View attachment 9508

The fix is quite simple once you know :) There is a reset button on the console, near the volume knob, and you can press this with a pin to reset the infotainment system.
View attachment 9509

While the system is on, press the recessed button. Once it has undergone a reset, the connected services work again! I presume I'll have to do this a few times once it refuses to connect again, but hey it is an easy fix so I can live with that. Now, when in mobile coverage I get a signal again and I get the "Live" icon back:
View attachment 9510

Thanks to the internet for helping to teach me about that reset button, so I'm passing it forwards in the hope that it helps someone else :)

·
Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro
59 Posts
I presume your phone needs to be connected to the Internet for all this fancy stuff to work, I'm a simple PAYG occasional user ( Luddites R Us :LOL: )

·
Registered
833 Posts
Live Traffic comes from the radio RDS-TMC channel broadcast by Classic FM not mobile phone networks. It can also be broadcast on DAB multiplexers but I don't think that is happening in the UK yet. So you can get Live Traffic on your Kia Nav unit without connection to a HotSpot. HotSpot connection delivers Speed Cameras and additional traffic alert information

2G is very old technology and I doubt if it will be around for a decade, the only reason it is still lives is because of the metering systems and remote alert systems that use old radio modems. 2G has very poor data rate but supports SMS type applications. Many countries have 2G switched off. Any modern 3GPP receiver block will handle 2G/3G/4G seamlessly. Don't expect to be able to make calls on you old Nokia 5110 for much longer - the networks need the frequencies for extending 5G. Killing 3G networks, now that 4G supports speech directly, allows networks to recover the 3G frequencies. I suspect that the UVO receivers will be 2/3/4G compatible as they will have been manufactured in the last 2 or 3 years. Mainstream 2G only kit became obsolete about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I presume your phone needs to be connected to the Internet for all this fancy stuff to work, I'm a simple PAYG occasional user ( Luddites R Us :LOL: )
It depends entirely on the level and generation of your head unit. I have a 21MY Sportage and that functions perfectly happily without a mobile phone at all, unless I eant to use Android Auto or Apple Car Play. If you have an older version you would need a mobile phone with a data plan to set up a mobile hotspot.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Live Traffic (the coloured blobs indicating road congestion that appear along a route) comes from the radio RDS-TMC channel, so you should get that without any Internet connection. Speed Cameras come from Tom Tom and require Internet connection.

·
Registered
833 Posts
@Radiorail all I can do is refer to Kia's Media System User Guide
Yep, I agree, all of that is correct and requires a Network (mobile phone) connection, I was just pointing out that the RDS-TMS service also delivers some basic congestion information to be displayed on the map without a Hot Spot connection. Perhaps I should not have used the term Live Traffic.
and

1 - 20 of 23 Posts