Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, the Mrs is getting me an iPod Classic for Christmas so I will be storing my entire cd collection on it. Can I just plug it in to the radio/CD in the car and play it through the sound system? If so, which lead do I need? Sorry to sound like a techno-dummy but I am. (I've got a Sportage on a 56 plate).

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
662 Posts
if your car has a i pod socket then you will be ok if not then you will need a radio transmitter that you plug the i pod into and then tune one of your radio presets to that wave length sounds like a faff but they are good because you can use them in other cars

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Paul. The radio has an 'AUX' socket on the facia, is that the one you mean?

Mike

·
Registered
662 Posts
No sorry i pods have a diffrent file format so the aux sockets no good you will need to visit Halfords and see what they have on offer

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Paul. I'll try Halfords, if they can't help, I've seen the radio transmitters that you mention and I'll go down that route.

Once again thanks, Mike

·
Registered
82 Posts
If the Aux. socket is a 3.5mm can you not just connect the headphone output on the ipod into the Aux socket with a male/male 3.5mm audio lead. Thats the way it works on my ford audio system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm. Maybe I'll take a walk to our local in car entertainment centre and see what they say. It's only half a mile and the weathers quite good, (apart from the rain showers!)

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Viking Paul said:
No sorry i pods have a diffrent file format so the aux sockets no good you will need to visit Halfords and see what they have on offer
They might have a different file format but it makes no difference to the aux socket. All this is looking for is an external signal. So a standard 3.5mm stereo jack male to male will do exactly what you want. Only about £1 from somewhere like Maplins. You will have to do the track selection etc on the iPod.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all, once again, thanks for taking the time to pass on your thoughts regarding my problem. Yesterday evening, I managed to find the handbook for the CD/radio in my Kia, (told you I was a dummy). It is a JVC KW-S601. There is a section on Apple iPod use. I can buy an interface adapter for iPod (KS-PD100) which is connected to the CD changer jack on the rear of the unit. This enables the iPod to be used via the controls on the CD/radio. Valkrider, I'm pretty sure that you are correct and your way will allow use via the controls on the iPod.

Once again, thanks for all your help, Mike.
. Edited by: townie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts