Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owned a 1.4 xceed with this gearbox for 6 months. Looking at various sites and drivers manual there appears to be differing views on best practice. I tend to use auto hold and engine stop/start on most occasions and would like to know if, on occasions that for any reason stop/start doesn't activate, are clutches automatically disengaged if, when stopped, either auto hold, footbrake or parking brake is applied or should neutral be engaged.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
are clutches automatically disengaged if, when stopped, either auto hold, footbrake or parking brake is applied or should neutral be engaged.
The clutches are disengaged in all of those circumstances and therefore the cumbersome action of selecting neutral then reselecting Drive is pointless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutches are disengaged in all of those circumstances and therefore the cumbersome action of selecting neutral then reselecting Drive is pointless.
Many thanks, that's the method I've always adopted, but I have seen it suggested recently that engaging neutral when waiting in traffic is good practice.

·
Registered
CEED 2019 First Edition DCT
14 Posts
Selecting neutral particularly at night is more of a courtesy to the driver behind, so they are not being blinded by your brake lights, if your on flat ground of course, as for it being cumbersome, I have never found it to be.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Selecting neutral particularly at night is more of a courtesy to the driver behind
As you mention night-time driving, I do exactly as I do in daylight hours. In other words, I never select neutral as the Auto-Hold feature holds my Optima still when pulled up to a halt, whether that be uphill or downhill on steep slopes or on level ground. If I expect to be there for more than a few moments, I will engage the EPB which switches off the brake lights...........EXCEPT.......when there is an Audi behind me.:mad::devilish:

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Selecting N and applying the handbrake/EPB hen stationary is a trivial action and quickly becomes almost automatic. I will do this every time unless I anticipate moving off again in a short time, such as waiting for corss traffic at a junction. The IAM advocate this as best practice for the simple reason that there are situtions where the driver becomes incapacitated, even temporarily, and if the only thing holding the car stopped is the driver's foot on the brake there is a risk that the vehicle can move off, with your familly in it, and end up god knows where. As noted this extinguishes the brake lights for teh benefit of vehicles behind too. As a bonus it seems to me that the action "N + handbrake" seems to cause traffic lights to turn green! Is it such a chore to operate your car safely?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
if the only thing holding the car stopped is the driver's foot on the brake there is a risk that the vehicle can move off, with your familly in it, and end up god knows where.
Cars equipped with Auto-Hold do not require one's foot to be maintained on the brake pedal. The car will remain where it is with feet off pedals until the fuel runs out unless the EPB is engaged.

I should imagine that if a driver becomes incapacitated while the vehicle is at rest, the potential for disaster is considerably less than at 60 or 70 mph on a busy road.......if such incapacity isn't actually calamitous in itself by definition?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Cars equipped with Auto-Hold do not require one's foot to be maintained on the brake pedal. The car will remain where it is with feet off pedals until the fuel runs out unless the EPB is engaged.

I should imagine that if a driver becomes incapacitated while the vehicle is at rest, the potential for disaster is considerably less than at 60 or 70 mph on a busy road.......if such incapacity isn't actually calamitous in itself by definition?
Mine does not have auto hold nor EPB so if in D with no handbrake the only thing that is stopping the vehicle is the foot on the brake. If these fearutes are equipped, it is anyway foolish to rely upon such contrivances since they can fail.

WRT incapacitation while stationary, I was thinking particularly of the usually temporary incapacitation resulting from impact by another vehicle. This (particularly from the rear or side) can cause the foot to rise off the brake pedal and even a still conscious driver can take appreciable time to overcome shock and bewilderment to process what has happened (even without airbags going off which in themselves are a violent event) and react. Lately I have been watching dashcam videos of accidents and (particularly in the US with the preponderance of auto transmissions) it does happen that stationary vehicles move off under power after being struck and they can and do move into cross or opposing traffic.

Of course the kind of more catastrophic incapacitation you have in mind such as heart attack or stroke or siezure is more dangerous at 70 and there is little that can be done about that apart from not driving at all. This is not a good reason to disregard a different risk which you can reduce. Walking across the Motorway without looking is much more dangerous so it's OK to cross a 30 limit without looking?

As to the ultimately calamitous event which sees off the driver in a stationary vehicle, it is still safer for the other occupants of the vehicle, and pedestrians and other vehicles if the vehicle is not able to move off uncontrolled.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I'm surprised you dare to drive at all 'Turnup'!

There are endless risk scenarios that could be contrived with a fertile imagination and I'd guess that you will eschew hydrogen-powered cars as and when they come on-stream, given your attitude to the dangers you have described at some length concerning current technology.

Given such sage driving advice from various well-known sources about the ten-to-two or quarter-to-three hand positions on the steering wheel, it could be argued that removing one hand to change gear repeatedly is dangerous but huge numbers of drivers don't even observe the positional advice in the first place.

I drive safely by adhering to all speed limits and I treat other road users and pedestrians with respect so I shan't be taking any lessons about how to drive a car equipped with a full suite of safety features and driver aids. Auto-Hold is an excellent addition to relaxed motoring and I shall continue to utilise it along with the EPB, never selecting neutral while on the road.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I am not risk averse but I see no virtue in taking unnecessary risks.

I aspire to drive as the IAM teach (not always successfully). Your concern regarding using one hand to chage gear are slightly founded in fact - the IAM require the prompt return of hand to the steering wheel as soon as gear change is completed. Police advanced driving instructors used to sellotape a drawing pin point up on the gear knob. Failure to promptly remove the hand resulted in it being pressed down formly by the instructor (I doubt they are allowed to do that these days). This is not because someone using one hand to steer cannot do so competently, it is because someone using one hand to steer cannot react as quickly and accurately in an emergency.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Although the Xceed is the 1st car with DCT or TC gearbox, I have driven lorries with AMT boxes. Also for 16 years I was a Rospa advanced driving tutor but always on cars with manual gearboxes With my RoSPA 3 yearly retest approaching ,1st time with DCT box, and hoping to retain my gold pass, I have found lots of the information on here most helpful. So thanks for that.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Although the Xceed is the 1st car with DCT or TC gearbox, I have driven lorries with AMT boxes. Also for 16 years I was a Rospa advanced driving tutor but always on cars with manual gearboxes With my RoSPA 3 yearly retest approaching ,1st time with DCT box, and hoping to retain my gold pass, I have found lots of the information on here most helpful. So thanks for that.
It would be interesting to know what RoSPA have to say about "N + handbrake" vs "Auto hold in D" vs "footbrake in D"

Good luck with the retest

·
Registered
626 Posts
Owned a 1.4 xceed with this gearbox for 6 months. Looking at various sites and drivers manual there appears to be differing views on best practice. I tend to use auto hold and engine stop/start on most occasions and would like to know if, on occasions that for any reason stop/start doesn't activate, are clutches automatically disengaged if, when stopped, either auto hold, footbrake or parking brake is applied or should neutral be engaged.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Yes when stopped clutches are fully disengaged. While remaining in D when stopped will not harm the transmission, it is safer practice to select N and apply the manual brake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts