Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is it OK to engage/disengage the four wheel drive.
The manual only says not to engage when coasting or on a gradient, but thats about it.

I just wondered if there are unwritten does and donts for using the all wheel drive.

It's my first 4x4 so I don't want towreck the gear box by doing something foolish.

Mine is the old 2010 model.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you mean 4wd, lock.
I only ever used mine Once, climbing a steep farm track,

I didnt need to use it then really.

Just use it when you need it, otherwise let it run normally.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I mean the 4wd lock button on the dash.
Winter is coming up fast so I want to know if I can switch it on and off when I am driving along and encounter really poor conditions.

I commute 25 miles to work on nightshift so I drive in severe conditions every winter but I don't want to drive the whole 25 miles with the lock on, so I really want to know if I can switch it on and off safely at say 40 to 50 mph without causing damage to the transmission.

·
Registered
887 Posts
It won't lock above 25mph, the system is automatic, will switch to 4wd when slip is detected, driving it with 4wd lock on in anything but seriously slippy conditions will screw the tranmission, personally i'd use it in crap weather to get underway, then flick it of and let system do it's bit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks. I did think the 4wd lock was just for low speed stuff but the manual is a bit vague on how to use the system.

A salesman told methat the slip detection systems are not that great in snow or ice conditions and certainly not as good as full time 4wd. But you can't believe everything you hear so I will no doubt find out first hand when the snow arrives. To be honest I have always managed in 2wd cars anyway. It's just getting out of my driveway thats the problem and I am so sick of shoveling snow and I did have a few hairy moments on back roads last winter.

·
Registered
289 Posts
4 wheel lock is only really required for off road driving mud ruts etc.In snow ice the system should detect slip and engaged when needed.I have owned my g vitara for 4 years and never yet needed to use 4 wheel lock even in last years bad weather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts