Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has to park up for up to 2 hours whilst waiting for our little son playing sports etc. On a sunny day the inside of the car gets hot.
She seems reticent to turn on the A/C because she’s worried that it’ll drain the battery.
Can anybody tell me which battery powers the A/C, is it the main drive battery or the 12v battery?
If it’s the latter, how long can she reasonably use A/C without leaving the battery with not enough power to start the car again.
Any advice is welcome 🤗

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I take it she is sat in the car? If so just leave it turned on.
If not then leave the windows open a inch or so all round to let hot air out, same if you have a sun roof. Tilt it up & leave the shade over 2/3rds of the sunroof, so hot air escapes.

Personally if sat in car, I would have window/sunroof open and just start car every so often to cool it down.
She does have windows open, but even then on a hot day she’d like the A/C on. Which battery powers the A/C? If it’s the 12v, Is there a risk of running the battery down over a couple of hours if she has it on?

Apologies iooi 😟 I thought the video link was a pop up ad, so didn’t look at it.
Ok, so she can now safely bask in the cool A/C without worrying about the battery.
She comes from a country which regularly sees temps of 36c. which never seemed to bother her. It’s my fault, I’ve pampered her way too much. 🤣

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you put the car into Utility Mode (page 4.52 in the manual), you can run the AC off the traction battery, so there is no issue of running the 12v battery flat.
If you put the car into Utility Mode (page 4.52 in the manual), you can run the AC off the traction battery, so there is no issue of running the 12v battery flat.
If, as in the video iooi posted, that wouldn’t be needed would it? as the power for the A/C comes from the main battery with just a minor use of power from the main battery.
Or are you saying that having the A/C on when parked would flatten the 12v battery, unless it was put into Utility Mode?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.