Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used a cheap unbranded 8GB USB stick in the car for the past couple of months with no issues but it is large and white so as it is highly visible I always remove it when parking in a public place. I have just bought an 8GB Lacie MosKeyto to replace it and as it only sticks out about 5mm it is almost invisible.The problem I am having is that if the old stick was left in, for any length of time, whenever the car was started the music always continued from the USB immediately. The new stick however is not detected and I have to remove it for anywhere from 30 secs to a couple of minutes before it willre-detect. Even if it is plugged in and I press the 'Media' button it says that the stick is not initialised which is the same message I get if no stick is plugged in. The cheapo stick always worked even after being left in overnight.
Is the stick faulty, or not fully compatible?

·
Registered
65 Posts
hi there. iusea cheap usb stick too with no prob.s new one sounds faulty to me as if it needed initial mating to stereo (which you cannot do) it wouldn't sometimes work sometimes not. how did it work with computer was it recognised straight away ? also like you mine,s a large,ish white one(ooo matron) that is left connected has anyone had, or herd of one being stolen ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new one seems ok in my PC which is why I can't see whyI'mhaving such a problem in the car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
PowStu said:
The new one seems ok in my PC which is why I can't see whyI'mhaving such a problem in the car.
don't think there's much you can do except look for another cheap one in black. there's a possibility that leaving it connected for a few days may sort it but its doubtful. some of the branded sticks carry extra software for computer clean ups may be this that's causing the prob.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Is it formatted FAT32?? I have a sandisk one that has an orange light that flashes whenever the car is accessing it. This light flashes for a short period at the beginning of each track and more so, for a short period after the ignition is switched off. Had to wait to see if it stopped before i walked away after locking the car - dint want that flashing all night in the dark. It did stop. The Sony inthe Focus is fussy about which USB sticks it plays or rejects.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. The stick isformattedas FAT32 and has no additional software on it. That Lexar Jumpdrive looks the tidiest.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just started the car this morning after leaving overnight & the media started playing as normal. Happened yesterday too after leaving the car parked at work all day. I'm wondering if the temperature has anything to do with it, and the new stick needs to warm up before it works as the weather has been quite warm over the past couple of days. Someone please tell me if this is a stupid idea.

·
Registered
65 Posts
PowStu said:
Just started the car this morning after leaving overnight & the media started playing as normal. Happened yesterday too after leaving the car parked at work all day. I'm wondering if the temperature has anything to do with it, and the new stick needs to warm up before it works as the weather has been quite warm over the past couple of days. Someone please tell me if this is a stupid idea.
i suppose it's possible but you could test that by unplugging and refitting wheninterior is warm. more likely that unit has started to recognise it with use, or there was oil or Greece on the contacts that has worn off. Edited by: goodnews

1 - 13 of 13 Posts