Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I had delivery of my MY22 Rio GT LineS in February I have had a minor problem with a non-functional front console USB socket. My iPhone XR will not charge or connect with Carplay and a USB flashdrive with MP3 music files will not connect. I have read many post on this (great) forum and on Google about similar problems, tried a new certified phone cable, checked phone settings etc. etc. without success. A friend with new Niro EV tried his iPhone and cable which charges OK in his car but wouldn't in mine. Also I tried resetting the head unit using the button without any joy. I thought the USB socket was not connected but have just tried a USB tester dongle - it has 5.2V and would charge an old iPod at just over 1A so it is connected!

The head unit icons for Carplay, USB Music and USB Video are greyed out, but maybe this is normal until a phone or flashdrive is plugged in?

Can anyone help please? or is it going to need a warranty visit to dealer? TBO it's not a huge issue as the Bluetooth wireless phone connection is working fine and I am happy with the Gen5W navigation but I would like the USB problem fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As
In that cast then as per @mr.macspot. Best to let dealer look at it.

Only other thing I can think of would be under settings to activate screen mirroring.
Thanks for your suggestion - do you mean settings in the car system to activate screen mirroring? I think my phone is set correctly according to guides I have looked at. I was hoping to avoid having to book into dealer for this problem but @mr.macspot is probably correct! Thanks again both for responding.

·
Super Moderator
9,901 Posts
@CWLaws

Just found this.

Go to settings & search "Screen" (magnifying glass, top left)

Vehicle Motor vehicle Electronic instrument Hood Automotive mirror

You should get this screen.
In your case for Apple. Hit the 2nd option down.
You then get this.

Make sure you have a tick in the top box.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Automotive design Gas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@CWLaws

Just found this.

Go to settings & search "Screen" (magnifying glass, top left)

View attachment 16107

You should get this screen.
In your case for Apple. Hit the 2nd option down.
You then get this.

Make sure you have a tick in the top box.

View attachment 16109
As as

Just saw you suggestion and will try that in the morning and let you know result - thanks!

·
Registered
Kia Soul sport
640 Posts
I always leave an iPhone lead plugged into the USB port so I only have to connect the lightning end to the phone and use Spotify and iTunes as a music source. A replacement USB port is about £40 but a bit of work to fit and it may only be as reliable as the last one but as #1 posted it’s a warranty job on their car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Q at
As as

Just saw you suggestion and will try that in the morning and let you know result - thanks!
I tried using your suggestion and as my Rio has the 8 in screen the options are a bit different. However the Apple Carplay box was already ticked. The was a second Carplay setting requiring selection of Left side or Right side steering. It was selected to Left so I changed it to Right. Not sure why it needs this setting really. Unfortunately after this Carplay still doesn't connect. However after being plugged in for a few minutes my phone started to charge and a Carplay setup screen appeared that I have never seen before! Unfortunately after this Carplay still did not work. I unplugged and reconnected the phone using the USB end and this time the phone would not charge. I think the USB socket may well be faulty so it is going to need a dealer visit I think. The fact that a USB stick with MP3 music I used in my previous car is not working maybe also suggests that the data connection is faulty even though the 5V power seems to be there in the socket. Thanks again for the responses from all.

·
Registered
Kia Soul sport
640 Posts
I assume that when connecting the iphone (only)you are turning on the “personal hotspot” ON on the iphone Font Technology Screenshot Gadget Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I assume that when connecting the iphone (only)you are turning on the “personal hotspot” ON on the iphone View attachment 16133
No I haven’t turned hotspot on - thought that only applied to wireless CarPlay. Rio MY22 infotainment manual states only wired CarPlay available in UK spec. Which seems a bit odd as current Picanto and I think Stonic have wireless. Will try turning on hotspot tomorrow though just in case it does something😊

·
Super Moderator
9,901 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As GT Line-S has connect no need for hotspot. & no mention of Wireless in Spec.
Before I go to dealer can anyone tell me if it is normal that the screen icons for USB Music, USB Video, Apple Carplay and Android Auto are greyed out when nothing is plugged into central USB (and don't change when a USB drive or phone is connected). Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,603 Posts
Before I go to dealer can anyone tell me if it is normal that the screen icons for USB Music, USB Video, Apple Carplay and Android Auto are greyed out when nothing is plugged into central USB (and don't change when a USB drive or phone is connected). Thanks.
Yes, they are greyed out (or on the current software faded) when that function is not connected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, they are greyed out (or on the current software faded) when that function is not connected.
Thanks for confirming that - as I have power at the USB which will charge an old ipod but not iphone and USB flash stick is not recognised, it looks like its not reading data. Re software version, my car was delivered in February 22 so must have an earlier version than your May 22. Presumably even if an update is released for MY22 Rio it would not be possible to load it via the USB on my car. Definitely need to book it in to dealer I think. BTW I am very pleased with car otherwise, thanks again for responses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts