Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now the dark nights are here , Iam thinking about fitting 50% brighter bulbs. But when i ask my garage they seem to think the cars computer thingy will throw a giant wobbly. Has anybody done this upgrade and if so any problems? Computers and all this tech stuff is like Ancient Greek to me Im still catching up with the Transistor Radio.:confused:

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
If you are replacing halogen incandescent bulbs with brighter halogen incandescents there will be no complaints from the car. Couple of things to watch:

Are you sure these are in fact 50% brighter, and road legal?

If the 50% increase is by using significantly more power then you might get fuses blowing, or you might over heat the headlamp assembly. Some brighter bulbs achieve it with only a modest increase in power (appx 10 W IIRC) but they achieve greater brightness by running hotter so the bulb life is shorter.

Which bulbs were you thinking of fitting?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Philips and Osram do road legal, uprated halogen bulbs but they only have 1/2 the lifespan of a normal bulb. It even mentions this on their packaging. If it's easy to get at your bulb holder then go for it but on my Picanto, the headlights have to come off to allow the bulb to be withdrawn from its mounting.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I fitted 4 Ring halogen 150+ H4's (projector dip and main beam use 2 bulbs per side) in my Fabia over a year ago and all 4 are still as bright as ever. They came with a 6 month Ring warranty in any event. Technology has moved on and the latest uprated halogen bulbs are much more reliable than they used to be. Some replacement halogen bulbs are not road legal due to their colour (they are 'styling' bulbs apparently...) so check the information on the advert. The VW canbus system can be a bit sensitive regarding bulbs but I had no issue with these at all.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Philips and Osram do road legal, uprated halogen bulbs but they only have 1/2 the lifespan of a normal bulb. It even mentions this on their packaging. If it's easy to get at your bulb holder then go for it but on my Picanto, the headlights have to come off to allow the bulb to be withdrawn from its mounting.

Agreed but care is needed as they also do uprated halogens which are not road legal because they are too bright.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello,

Specifically, look at the colour temperature and wattage: high temperature halogen lamps have a blue hue and, I think, anything over 4200K is illegal for road use. As for the wattage, stick with 55 watt lamps unless you don't mind overloading your wiring.

Good luck, Al

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
uprated headlight bulbs

Thank You All of You for your advice . The Bulbs I was thinking of are Halfords Advanced up to 50% brighter. Having used Halfords Bulds of a similar type in all my cars since the late eighties i have never had any problem with them. All my cars stay between Five/ ten years apart from three of a eastern European brand owned by a German Group . All three were the biggest load of rubbish ever ,after three chances that was enough. But Three Volvos and a Golf which ran for six of the Severn years I ran her on Halfords Bulbs cant fault them. My last car a Nissan Note I never changed the bulbs because i couldn't get the bulb holders off the bulbs without i feared damage ,so left well alone.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Needed a H7 for my Venga a while back..luckily I had one in stock..I bought a replacement on ebay at a fraction of the price they sell for in the shop..no wonder they are called hellfrauds..I suggest you try the ebay site before parting with your hard earned cash..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-Halfords-H7-477-Car-Headlight-Bulb/123898017001?epid=2174939207&hash=item1cd8e5b4e9:g:UkQAAOSwNjJdciPh

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=halfords+car+bulbs&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=halfords+car+bulbs+H7&_sacat=0

·
Registered
795 Posts
Needed a H7 for my Venga a while back..luckily I had one in stock..I bought a replacement on ebay at a fraction of the price they sell for in the shop..no wonder they are called hellfrauds..I suggest you try the ebay site before parting with your hard earned cash..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-Halfords-H7-477-Car-Headlight-Bulb/123898017001?epid=2174939207&hash=item1cd8e5b4e9:g:UkQAAOSwNjJdciPh

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=halfords+car+bulbs&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=halfords+car+bulbs+H7&_sacat=0
Definitely, I buy bulbs and wiper blades on line as they are so much cheaper.
And autopilot, don't worry about overloading your wiring with an uprated halogen bulb. As long as they are the legal maximum of 55w they will be fine. 55w is 55w regardless of the increase in light output.

·
Registered
53 Posts
in the main stealers the other day waiting to pick my car up chap came in blown headlight bulb hoping warranty covered it ,nope and qouted him 30 mins labour and total price of £150 as its a special bulb , the guy was in shock .

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have used up graded head light bulb and upgraded reversing blubs in my 16 plate venga with no problems. look on line for replacements

·
Registered
165 Posts
I.'ve used Phillips nitebreaker, 2 different models. Ring, and osrams. All H4. They last approx 12 mths or up to 10,000km of driving with the lights on no matter what brand. Now I've gone back to standard H4 bulbs. There never appeared to be 50% more light with any of them, just looking by eye maybe the equiv. Of 5w Xtra or 5-10% more light, not 50 or 65%.
However I do still have nitebreaker H1 in my hi beams that are rarely used and have been in use since 2011. Safety wise, buy them if you need them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts