Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys i have the below question,

Let's say the car is parked on a uphill/downhill part of the road on P gear with EPB (Electric Parking Brake) on.

How it s parked:
As soon as the car is complete stopped, continue pressing food brake and move from D to P. Afterwards, release the food brake to allow car move to its final position (release all it momentum). Lastly, i press once again the food brake and turn EPB on.

Trying to move the car, i press food brake and try to move from P to D or R but it s feel vary difficult and it's sound strange when the gear shift from P to D or R.

Any idea why? Any help will grade fully appreciate.

Car details:
KIA Sportage 2021, AWD, Automatic transmission, Mild Hybrid.

Super Moderator
Hi & Welcome.
It if is a brand new car, then I would take it back to dealer to look at under warranty.

Does this model have ISG?

Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
To me that sounds like the ISG operating.

Registered
The parking procedure doesn't sound right to me because you will be putting pressure on the park mechanism in the gearbox if you are any type of slope.

I think it should be:
Stop, keep foot on foot brake.
Apply parking brake
Release foot brake
Move gear selector to P.

Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
In an auto you have something called a parking pawl. It basically locks up the gears so the car won't move. What you're doing is letting off the foot brake and putting pressure on the pawl before putting the handbrake on. It's essentially the same as leaving a manual car in gear, then allowing the car to roll and put pressure on the engaged gear... its going to be difficult to disengage.

Don't allow the car to apply pressure to the pawl by allowing the car to roll before applying the handbrake, you can damage or snap it. Just stop, put it in park (foot still on the foot brake) and apply the handbrake. There's no need to put pressure on the pawl, if the handbrake fails the pawl will stop the car from moving.

Registered
The parking procedure doesn't sound right to me because you will be putting pressure on the park mechanism in the gearbox if you are any type of slope.

I think it should be:
Apply parking brake
Release foot brake
Move gear selector to P.
Yes, I agree. This is how I do it as well

Registered
I suspect the problem you are having is because you have put the car in park without the brake on, and because of the pressure on the gearbox park it is having difficulty disengaging.

Registered
Agree with the above.
Park Brake first then into Park.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for your answer. but it seems that this will not work.

I think it should be:
Apply parking brake
Release foot brake
Move gear selector to P.
Thanks for your answer. i have one more question,
Stop, keep foot on foot brake (DONE)
Apply parking brake << Shall i will keep D?
Release foot brake (DONE)
Move gear selector to P. << Shall i press foot brake to move to P?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In an auto you have something called a parking pawl. It basically locks up the gears so the car won't move. What you're doing is letting off the foot brake and putting pressure on the pawl before putting the handbrake on. It's essentially the same as leaving a manual car in gear, then allowing the car to roll and put pressure on the engaged gear... its going to be difficult to disengage.

Don't allow the car to apply pressure to the pawl by allowing the car to roll before applying the handbrake, you can damage or snap it. Just stop, put it in park (foot still on the foot brake) and apply the handbrake. There's no need to put pressure on the pawl, if the handbrake fails the pawl will stop the car from moving.
As soon as the car is complete stopped, continue pressing food brake and move from D to P. Afterwards, release the food brake to allow car move to its final position (release all it momentum). Lastly, i press once again the food brake and turn EPB on.
This is what i m doing but i face this issue. i m missing anything?

Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
This is what i m doing but i face this issue. i m missing anything?
No. You're allowing the car to "move to its final position" its final positipn is wherever it is when you've stopped by the foot brake. Why let it lock up the pawl?

whichever order you do. Dont let off the foot brake until the very last! Either put the handbrake and and then move to park. Or move to park with the foot brake pressed. Keep it pressed while you move to park. Keep it pressed and put handbrake on.

Have you never driven an auto before? Its like I said. You would.never put a manual car into gear, turn the car off and let it move until you put the handbrake on. You'll snap the pawl by letting the car lock itself up before applying the handbrake.

To be safe, id say stop, keep foot on brake. Apply handbrake. Engage park. Then you can release the footbrake

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No. You're allowing the car to "move to its final position" its final positipn is wherever it is when you've stopped by the foot brake. Why let it lock up the pawl?

whichever order you do. Dont let off the foot brake until the very last! Either put the handbrake and and then move to park. Or move to park with the foot brake pressed. Keep it pressed while you move to park. Keep it pressed and put handbrake on.

Have you never driven an auto before? Its like I said. You would.never put a manual car into gear, turn the car off and let it move until you put the handbrake on. You'll snap the pawl by letting the car lock itself up before applying the handbrake.

To be safe, id say stop, keep foot on brake. Apply handbrake. Engage park. Then you can release the footbrake
Thanks for the help!

Registered

When I park up. Keep foot on foot brake, then engage neutral, then parking brake and then put car into park.

Registered
When I park up. Keep foot on foot brake, then engage neutral, then parking brake and then put car into park.
Yep I do it that way too,I never select 'Park' until the car is stable with handbrake on as cars tend to move slightly after applying handbrake on a slope due to slight movement within drum or disc.
At home both our cars are parked on a slight slope,one of them on tarmac with a front wheel chocked and left in neutral with handbrake off.The other is parked on grass against a small natural slope acting as a chock - also left in neutral with handbrake off - neither can roll away as one has a kerb in front and the other has our fence behind (+ a large shrub :) )

Reactions: Daveyboy123
1 - 17 of 17 Posts